GateOfStorms.net (GoS.net): If you need a team forum

General MWC related discussion stuff.
Giant Killer General

GateOfStorms.net (GoS.net): If you need a team forum

Post by Giant Killer General »

Since it is so incredibly difficult to get some basic team forums up and running here, the great Punkuser has been so kind as to setup team forums for everyone on his new community forums, which took him all of like 5 minutes to setup. Go to:

http://forum.gateofstorms.net/

And bookmark it.

The team forums there are better anyway because:
1) You do not need to remember a password to get into them, your account is linked to it directly
2) The team forums are completely hidden from everyone who does not have access to that forum.
3) The teams are the moderators of their own team forums, you can add / remove people whenever you want, you are in control.
4) Any problems, we have active help from punkuser who can fix anything quickly

Read punkuser's forum announcements about registration before you register because choosing your username is pretty important as it is used for everything (punkuser can change it for you if needed later). Those forums are linked to the gateofstorms.net (GoS) meta server as well (which is already included in the 1.8 patch).

Once you register, the team captain or whoever wants to be in charge of setting up the team forum for their team, just find me or punkuser in myth. We just need to talk to you there to confirm that is in-fact your account on the GoS forums, and we can set you up as the moderator for that forum. From there, you can confirm the rest of your players and invite them on your own. Just need to confirm to prevent any dummying / spying trolls, etc.

The forums and the meta server are all linked together. Punkuser has a buddy who is a pro web designer helping him out with front-end work when needed, while he handles programming, so he has a nice little dev team supporting this. He has expressed interested in making new features in the future (such as a real ranking system that mnet has always lacked, etc.) for the community if people are going to use it, so it would be in the entire community's best interest to transition over there at some point. Right now you can just use the team forums for now, but eventually may want to think about transitioning over there to those forums, and to that meta server.

One example of a cool new feature he has already built can be seen at:

http://games.gateofstorms.net/

All films and stats are automatically saved for every single game played on that meta server, and can be accessed through the website.

Anyway, hit me up if you need a team forum, and register over there, we will get you setup.
∑√¡£ Jake

Re: GateOfStorms.net (GoS.net): If you need a team forum

Post by ∑√¡£ Jake »

sign WTC up i registered
Giant Killer General

Evil Jake, yur all set as the leader of the WTC team forum group. Done and done. You can add the rest of your team on yur own now. Let me know if u have any problems / questions. Anyone else need a team forum, post here.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Slight wrinkle with the group leaders thing so I had to disable that until I find a better solution; in any case the groups are set to people can apply to them. Captains just let me know via PM who to add/approve (you should verify their user names via thegjol or on mnet so you know they aren't dummies) and I'll approve them.
dac

Post by dac »

getting a 403 when i type in gateofstorms.net
Giant Killer General

yea the main page isnt up yet. go to the forums page or the games page
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

GiantKillerGen wrote:yea the main page isnt up yet. go to the forums page or the games page
Yeah sorry, still a WIP. Will get a landing page up there soon.

I'll add that it would be great to get at least one or two of the preseason matches played on GoS so we can run the tourney/stats stuff through its paces and people can see the benefits.
grim

Post by grim »

It is indeed difficult to get a team forum here. You need to go through the difficult task of sending me a private message about it.
Giant Killer General

Again just to re-iterate to everyone, if you want a team forum that:

1) doesn't require a password, so it cannot be hacked, one less thing for you to remember, automatically logs you into your team forum, etc.
2) is hidden from all non-team members
3) you can potentially moderate on your own
4) don't have to wait for days to get a response from site admins

then check out the team forums over there. You don't have to PM anyone to make the forum and wait. They are already made, just register on the forums there and punk will know to add you to your own team forum.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Post by c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ »

Jake can we just have our forum here? That site doesnt work for me and I don't really feel like having to use yet another site.
Giant Killer General

Can you give more info about what isn't working for you so Punk can fix it?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Milk remember you have to go to http://forum.gateofstorms.net. There's isn't a "www.gateofstorms.net" yet. Let me know if it's something other than that that's broken.

Also I'm happy to create team forums for folks there, but it's totally up to you guys (doesn't matter to me either way, just offering). However if folks want tourney stats and recordings automatically tracked, they will have to register and account there at some point, as it uses those forum accounts for the Gate of Storms metaserver login.

Don't really know a way around that... I chatted a while back with grim/toxyn about integrating this all with thegjol but at the time they didn't seem willing to give me access to their server, etc. If that has changed, I'd be happy to chat with grim/toxyn again although TBH it probably makes more sense to do it in the other direction now (even if we still use thegjol domain name) since there is more significant server setup to host a metaserver than just a web site. i.e. moving what is on thegjol now elsewhere is easy (most of it is just a forum and some styling), whereas moving the metaserver setup is more difficult. Ultimately, we definitely don't need two different forums though, so I'm certainly in favor of unifying it and happy to make thegjol folks admins over there or whatever they need.
grim

Post by grim »

punkUser wrote:M
Don't really know a way around that... I chatted a while back with grim/toxyn about integrating this all with thegjol but at the time they didn't seem willing to give me access to their server, etc. If that has changed, I'd be happy to chat with grim/toxyn again although TBH it probably makes more sense to do it in the other direction now (even if we still use thegjol domain name) since there is more significant server setup to host a metaserver than just a web site. i.e. moving what is on thegjol now elsewhere is easy (most of it is just a forum and some styling), whereas moving the metaserver setup is more difficult. Ultimately, we definitely don't need two different forums though, so I'm certainly in favor of unifying it and happy to make thegjol folks admins over there or whatever they need.
Did you ever contact Toxyn about this? I'd more than happy to let you work something like this into the site.
falcon

Post by falcon »

GiantKillerGen wrote:so it cannot be hacked
LOL u skiddies, phpbb cannot be hacked?
Its opensource with zero to none security.
dac

Post by dac »

falcon wrote:
GiantKillerGen wrote:so it cannot be hacked
LOL u skiddies, phpbb cannot be hacked?
Its opensource with zero to none security.

come on falc, you know what he meant.

im tired of having to click "mark forum read" because i'm seeing unread topics in team forums, but its a minor annoyance
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

grim wrote: Did you ever contact Toxyn about this? I'd more than happy to let you work something like this into the site.
I did, and I did mention this stuff originally to you guys as well but you seemed happier to go some other direction with pulling stats off of mariusnet or similar, which as I noted was not something I considered to be a particularly good long term strategy. Not sure if you've made any progress to that end, but I stand by that assertion.

As I noted, I'm more than happy to chat again about merging this stuff, although like I said, at this point it's going to be easier to merge in the other direction. I don't mind you folks admining over there as you've been doing here in any case (and URLs are easy to repoint), but not sure what your feelings are. PM me or catch me online sometime to chat more about it if you're interested.
grim

Post by grim »

Pm Toxyn about your intentions since I don't think he's really quite aware of them (it's easier that way, I don't think he browses the forums too much). Neither one of us are online all too often.