Turn off guest accounts, etc

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
spoon

Turn off guest accounts, etc

Post by spoon »

Howdy

There has been an increase in hate speech and spamming in the lobby recently. Turning off guest accounts and adding an admin account would go a long way to reduce the amount of hate speech present in the GoS lobby.

Cheers,
spoon

Jon God

Re: Turn off guest accounts, etc

Post by Jon God »

I agree with this. I regularly hang out with old Mothers that don't come back because they don't want to deal with the toxicity and hate that is being spewed every day.

As for trying to get new people interested in the game, it's hard when that's their first/every online experience when they go onto the metaserver.

Having that level of hate speech is a nonstarter.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Yep from what I've seen it's time to shut off guests. Logging in via Steam to get a metaserver account is pretty trivial but allows some level of accountability. People could alternatively just play in Tournament rooms but given that hasn't happened for any of the history of GoS, I think it's probably time to just disable guests.

I'll check back on the discussion in a week or so but that's certainly where I'm leaning given several reports of completely unacceptable behavior.

BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

What if you make guest accounts to only have the ability to send a message every 30 seconds or something to reduce the spamming? Basically keep guest accounts as an option but significantly reduce the access they have. I recall on Marius there being a language filter and it wouldn't even send messages if it contained certain words.

Relevant post:
1. Notice the game title
2. Notice when it was taken
3. The Admin tag looks good on me.
admin.jpg
admin.jpg (183.01 KiB) Viewed 5777 times

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Disabling lobby chat entirely for guest accounts is an option. I wouldn't want to do some rate-based thing as you could still work around that by logging in again or whatever, and the sort of objectionable content we're talking about could be a single message.

Guests could still of course join games and spam all they want in there, but you can always go to a tourney room or use password-protected games to avoid that when it happens. Not ideal for the same reasons as for the metaserver but maybe a reasonable compromise.

I'm not sure which would be a better solution for people here - let me know what you think.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

The lobby chat restriction also would not prevent guests from creating games with inappropriate titles or similar either.

I think I'm still leaning towards disabling guest accounts as the burden to log in with Steam is not really unreasonable these days.

HMP

Post by HMP »

Can you disable guest accounts and then have the server send an error message telling them to create an account if someone tries to log on as a guest?

BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

HMP wrote:
28 Jul 2020, 19:59
Can you disable guest accounts and then have the server send an error message telling them to create an account if someone tries to log on as a guest?
Yeah with a URL on where to go. Great idea actually. Or maybe some sort of pop up instructions when someone installs the game too. Have seen several new players on recently who said they found copies of the game in their parents homes. Still trying to figure out who their parents might have been but they don't seem to know.

Maybe in addition to that, allow guest accounts to log into the server, but supply them with a message that they will not be able to chat in the lobby until creating an account on steam, and like PunkUser said about hosting games.

I guess I don't really know if guest accounts are actual new players trying out the game or just people logging in to not be seen as their regular account?

BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Apparently its pretty common for people to pretend to be me pretending to be guest/dummy accounts these days.

Stonewall

Post by Stonewall »

I'm guessing this is derived from one or two people abusing the system? How about just IP baning the griefers?

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

IP bans are not a particularly reliable solution unfortunately. If this a real issue we need some actual accountability in the form of an account somewhere. Even then they can create new ones, but at least there are mechanisms in place on the Steam side to limit that abuse too much.

There's not a good way to send messages to people at login time that doesn't involve a client update. We could certainly let them join but not let them chat... and potentially not let them create games although the latter I would need to experiment with how the client handles it. It also might be possible for the metaserver to just rename guest games as well. Still doesn't prevent people from joining open games and spamming inside the game lobby but people do already have the ability to go to tournament rooms or similar to avoid that.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Guest accounts have been disabled. If you see registered users with poor behavior please screenshot and get their account URL/ID (you can click on their name in the info screen to get a link to their GoS page).

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

... and it should go without saying but to everyone wanting to keep causing trouble - I'd recommend you don't push your luck :) There are plenty of places on the internet for you to bring your non-Myth-related nonsense to so if you care about continuing to play Myth on GoS, maybe take it there.

tangoes

Post by tangoes »

now that guest users are turned off i realize ive been logging in as a guest for years...

anyway, the user name and password I'm being given from GoS aren't working.

a little help?

par73

Post by par73 »

tangoes wrote:
15 Aug 2020, 00:52
now that guest users are turned off i realize ive been logging in as a guest for years...

anyway, the user name and password I'm being given from GoS aren't working.

a little help?
So when you go to gateofstorms.net/accounts and log in with steam, typing in the user name # and password does not work for you ?

tangoes

Post by tangoes »

yeah.
logged in through steam.
have my gateofstorms user name and password.
use said login and password and it just says login or password is incorrect.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Can you PM me your GoS user url (once you log in you can click it from the dropdown) and the credentials you are trying to use to log in?

Ensure you are putting them in the right fields (not nickname) and that there's no confusion of 'i' vs 'l' vs '1' and that kind of thing. You can PM me a screenshot of your login page too if you are unsure.

Return to “Gate of Storms”