Why play in TSO2017?

Hosted by par73
par73

Why play in TSO2017?

Post by par73 »

Some of you might hear about a new myth tournament and think, "Oh boy, another one, why should I even bother playing this time?"
For me, it's always been a matter of if I will actually have time to participate, who I will participate with, and the notion that you never really know when Myth II will be all wrapped up.

This year we have The Spring Open popping up following a TWS draft-style tournament, but preceding our traditionally celebrated Myth World Cup. Why did I bother to put something like this together? Well, why not. I'm quite bored of random team games. :)

The Spring Open is pretty appropriate to label this tournament. It will be played during the spring, potentially making its way to the first few weeks of June. It is also an "Open" tournament, meaning rosters are open for players to build teams around their friends. Any team meeting the team registration requirements will officially be signed up to play, it is open to any and all who wish to play some team games with their E-buddies against other coordinated groups.

GKG should be running MWC this year, and he has long supported the notion that there have only been two competitive teams per MWC. Supplementing this idea, he supervised "All-Star" events where hand picked players and map/gametype combinations would be put to the test. He pushed forth the image of the all-star event doing its best to mimic that full MWC experience of a MWC finals. The only major part lacking I felt in this was it misses the two month grind, formerly three, where you play with your team each and every week and build bonds on the road to glory. It feels like a true adventure in that way, that whatever your team is building towards is much greater as you gather every week. A team without stamina and endurance would fall off by the end, potentially having once been the biggest threat originally qualifying for the tournament.

I was pleased to see last year's All-Star event lasted more than one week, and with the results and nature of the two teams flip flopping I felt like it provided it's participants with an experience much closer to a MWC finals run than the original 1-day All-Star events. With that said, I expect MWC2017 to be a tournament similar to these progressively more-MWC-like All-Star events involving just two captains and their teams locked in a battle of wits and determination. I could be wrong, but it seems to be how this summer will be trending.

With that said, I wanted to provide an opportunity for the community to get some standard myth in this year in an open 2team tournament. This is that opportunity. Gather your friends and let's see what we field. It is quite difficult for the majority of our players who play myth casually to have perfect schedules that will align every weekend, however those with consistency should look to create groups with other weekend-actives and invite others to come play as well.

I might do something similar to TSO in the fall, but more than likely it will be vTFL styled in anniversary of The Fallen Lords (1997) or completely put off if someone else runs a fall tournament.
So, if you think you will have some free time in your weekends in the spring, won't make it to MWC, are tired of draft-styled tournaments, and aren't interested in a vTFL fall tournament, this is likely the best event for you in 2017.

I've always believed, "If you build it, they will come" thanks to Field of Dreams. But the truth is, those who come truly build.
Good luck, whether you participate or not.

par73

Re: Why play in TSO2017?

Post by par73 »

Most of this is no longer applicable as MWC is nice and open ! I will now be changing formats to a quick DE and shoot for 4 teams.

Return to “The Spring Open 2017 (2team)”