MFC DE Invitational

Forums for the MFC 2013 1v1 tournament.
Giant Killer General

MFC DE Invitational

Post by Giant Killer General »

Okay, a there's been a whole lot of bitching and whining about no DE format in this 1v1 tournament.

First of all, let me go over why I didn't do a DE initially.

The DE format is not conducive for an open registration for a large numbers of participants. Everyone is conveniently forgetting the last few 1v1 tournaments that happened around 2009-2010. The Sunset 1v1 tournament that TB hosted took like 6 or more months to finish. I have no interest in hosting something that will take so long to complete. I am not going to babysit people to finish their matches for that long.

Another 1v1 tournament that I believe happened around mwc 2010 didn't even finish at all, it only lasted a few weeks. Why? Because some players "lost interest" and didn't finish their matches. Adren tells me it was Tirri and I not playing our match, I also remember other matches being severely delayed prior to that which was the primary contributing factor. Matches get delayed for a long time, then people lose interest.

I am not going to have a 1v1 tournament that is being held up for a month just because Tirri and Arsenal can't schedule their match to be completed. My point being in that hypothetical matchup is that it is both a completely meaningless match, and it is holding up everyone over essentially nothing, and then threatens the tournament to becoming dead in the water very quickly.

Every tournament format has its advantages and disadvantages. The advantages of an open QR like I did - complete flexibility, able to play as much as you want, it is basically an open league. The advantages of the divisional format - it is basically like a weighted league. Both formats are supremely flexible, which means I don't have to babysit, it is on autopilot. The disadvantages of it is that it discourages those who don't have much time on their hands to play so many matches. Plus there could be some burnout, but I believe that is being way over-exaggerated by people. In any case, trust me, I get it.

Now all of that being said, I understand the advantages of a DE format. You would most likely only have to play like 4-5 matches, even as few as just 2, depending how you place. It can be completed in a short amount of time. It is my opinion that a DE format needs to be done AFTER MWC, which is what I have been waiting for before considering a DE format. Having MWC matches during the weekend makes it much harder for some people to schedule more time for myth, and with a DE format, scheduling is critical. There has to be strict fallbacks to keep the tournament moving before it goes dead in the water.

So basically this was a long way of saying, I have been looking at organizing a final phase to MFC which is a DE format. However, the only way I would be interested in hosting this is if we get enough players who DID NOT participate in the MFC divisional rounds. If we can't get any new players, then there really isn't any point in having a DE format with the same players anyway. I am assuming a good majority of the current MFC participants would register again.

I would most likely take the top 16 registrants in an invitational, start it the very next week after MWC finishes, and it would be over quickly within 4 weeks, with strict fallbacks, bingo bango. If you DID NOT participate in the MFC divisional rounds previously, and are interested in participated in this DE format, know you can participate during that time, etc., then sign up here. Everyone sign up here as a matter of fact, even if you are in MFC, just to gauge the interest. But again, I need to see enough new faces for this to even be worthwhile.

dac

Re: MFC DE Invitational

Post by dac »

run it at the same time.

match ends, or before match, you can get a few games in. there were qr games delayed to watch matches like tirri vs adren for example.

just force a fallback and have somebody from the tournament show up at that time. if one player is there and another isnt, theo ne that isnt (or isnt playing or w/e) forfeits. scheduling solved, brutal dictatorship, and the tournament goes on.

Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

It will be even easier to play when there is no match at all and it is the only thing going on.

Some people think it helps, but I have not seen any MFC matches being played before / after matches. Anything talking about scheduling while mentioning Tirri is a horrible example.

Captain

Post by Captain »

I am officially signing up.

Return to “Myth Fighting Championship 2013”