Division Match Rules

Forums for the MFC 2013 1v1 tournament.
Giant Killer General

Division Match Rules

Post by Giant Killer General »

Okay gentlemen, this is when the real matches begin. These are the ones that actually matter and count for something. Time to pull out all of the stops and really try your hardest.

Most of you should know the jist of how this is going to work by now. If not, you can read a fuller, more-detailed explanation in the "Division System" thread, here: http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=845

First of all, know which division you are in and who else is in your division. There is some opportunity to move up a division, but it is limited, so for the most part these divisions will remain relatively the same.

You can see the divisions (updated as needed) in the "The Division Rosters" thread, here: http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic ... 120#p10120

So everyone is going to play everyone else in their division in a round robin, first to 3 MATCH wins, win by 2. A single match here is the exact same as the matches everyone has been playing throughout the QR, first to 3 wins, win by 2.

There are a few new important new rules that you must know:

1) You cannot rematch the same person within a 12 hour time period. If you want to play multiple matches back-to-back that's fine, but each match has to be against a different person in your division. The reason for this is because a major point behind even doing this kind of format is to see who can be most consistent over a longer time span, i.e. multiple days. I am not interested in seeing someone lose 3 straight matches all in 1 day to the same person.

2) You must provide a link to every single game for a match when you report it. This is so that there is no confusion as to which games count or don't count. It also saves me time. If there are any disputes, play the match long and see if the dispute still even matters. If it does end up mattering, I can decide on it later. If you don't finish a match, you must pick up the score where you left off until it ends up either in a win for someone or a tie (per the rule below). Report your matches immediately after you are finished. Also please provide the match number it is within your match series against that player. Do not double-report match results.

3) If the match series reaches a match score of 3-3, it is considered a draw. This is until we can figure out an alternative way to determine a winner that both opponents can agree on together. I don't expect this to even occur, but we will cross that bridge if/when we get there. Please note this is for the whole match series score, not the game score for an individual match

4) If a single match reaches a game score of 4-4, it is considered a draw. A new match will then have to be started anew. Another way of wording this is, 5-3 is the highest game score that is allowed, you have to finish your opponent before then in order for it to count, anything beyond that is now considered a match-tie. At that point you must reset the score and start a new match. Be sure both players are aware at the point in which the score is being reset. You should still report tied matches.

This is a really flexible format, so there is no fixed tournament schedule, we are playing it by feel. The pace of the schedule is largely determined by the combined competitors at large. Schedule your matches on your own, there will an organized time of 2pm EST every Saturday for people to all show up together though just to try and find each other. Some basic guidelines to follow though are this:

1) You should average at bare-minimum about 1.5 matches per week (i.e. 3 matches every 2 weeks)
2) You should never go 2 weeks without playing a match

Possible penalties for breaking the above scheduling rules, or otherwise falling behind in the tournament schedule are:

1) Reduction in rank
2) Reduction in division
3) Elimination from the tournament
4) Finishing the tournament without your matches complete

As far as map-picks, you can start re-picking maps as soon as both opponents agree to it. However if your opponent wants you to pick something new every time for the duration of the entire match series, you must do so. You can't just specialize in 2-3 maps unless your opponent allows that.

Catchweight Matches

Remember there are also catchweight matches (matches between the bottom player in a division and the top player in the division below him). These matches are a little longer than the normal matches. Play these first to 5 wins, win by 2. If you fall into this category where you will be playing a catchweight match, understand that this match is of higher priority than your other matches. If you are the challenger, you only get 1 shot at moving up a division. This is basically as close as you get to normal elimination rounds right here. If you are defending your spot, you will not get a rematch against the same player afterwards, but if that player ends up advancing in rank and someone else takes his place, you can challenge a new player. You have 2 weeks to play your catchweight match, starting from the point of when I post it in the catchweight thread.

There will be a separate match reporting and scheduling thread for these catchweight matches

I think that's it for now.

dac

Re: Division Match Rules

Post by dac »

catchweights should be able to challenge as long as they're winning, it lets somebody underrated move up several divisions potentially

Giant Killer General

oh yes, that's of course true dac. in the unlikely event that someone can move up more than 1 division, they of course can. what i meant was they only get 1 shot i.e. once they lose a catchweight match they are done moving around divisions. if they don't lose they can keep going forever potentially.

Captain

Post by Captain »

Question:

Seeing how I am finding it extremely hard to play games due to people not wanting/don't have the time to play?

I have asked everyone to play me at least once and people are either too busy or wanted to keep playing rabble games....

When is the deadline for this and how are you going to choose who to penalize?

Giant Killer General

While I don't doubt what you say is true, you need to post your attempts to schedule with people here in your scheduling thread. That way I can see it and everyone else.

People I think are a little burnt out on 1v1 matches and/or more focused on mwc right now, which I can understand. So I think I am going to wait until people start getting eliminated from mwc to see if it picks up again.

In the meantime, if you want a shot at the divsion above you in a catchweight bout, I won't let other's inactivity penalize you there. Just keep in mind that you only get one shot at it.

However first let's see you A) post your available times in your scheduling thread, and B) try to schedule with specific players. After they don't respond for a while here in the forum, then I will go from there.

Dantski

Post by Dantski »

I think its the fault of the tournament structure rather than any focus on MWC, I don't believe most people are interested in playing dozens of 1v1 matches to achieve a 4th place within a division. I'm not saying things would be perfect with a standard DE bracket after you finished your QR and that some people wouldn't lose interest but IMO its preferable because it gives a very clear end goal of the tournament and people are familiar with it

True I am not a 1v1 player, but I get tired of playing 1v1 after 2-3 games (not matches, games) and I can imagine a number of participants here get tired after a varying number of games. The prospect of having to play a dozen matches or potentially more may not be appealing, especially if most matches involve playing the same maps over and over.

I would like to see more games played as myth 1v1's are at least entertaining to watch, so I'd be happy to be proved totally wrong and see this pick up again.

Giant Killer General

well I only required people to play 5 matches in the QR, and most ended up playing waaaaaaaaay more than that on their own over a 3 week period.

And given that this part of the tournament is meant to last 3 months, the average pace of matches for people is about 1.5 matches per week. So I disagree.

I think people are taking a little bit of a break from it, I feel this way because I feel burnt out on the 1v1 a bit myself, and my focus has turned toward mwc as well. So I feel it too.

The point of more matches is to provide more tournament content for people. If MWC lasted year-round with the same top 4-5 teams playing each other and people kept showing up every week, wouldn't you keep playing, instead of going back to shitty rabble games?

Dantski

Post by Dantski »

GKG wrote:And given that this part of the tournament is meant to last 3 months, the average pace of matches for people is about 1.5 matches per week
I'm not sure most people signed up were prepared to play for the next 3 months, quite a few people might well stop logging into myth once their MWC team is eliminated (in the next few weeks) and that affects other tournaments at the time too. I think having 1 match per week is sensible but expecting solid activity over 3 months seems unrealistic.
GKG wrote:I think people are taking a little bit of a break from it, I feel this way because I feel burnt out on the 1v1 a bit myself, and my focus has turned toward mwc as well. So I feel it too.
Maybe a set # of QR games would've been better then? Now the obvious response to this is how to make it fair if everyone plays different opponents, since playing everyone would take too damn long. My answer is...I don't know, I'm sure someone has a reasonable solution though.
GKG wrote:The point of more matches is to provide more tournament content for people. If MWC lasted year-round with the same top 4-5 teams playing each other and people kept showing up every week, wouldn't you keep playing, instead of going back to shitty rabble games?
I actually enjoy rabble games since it really does mix everything up and keeps things somewhat fresh (kinda like a draft tournament until the later rounds) but that's not really relevant here. To answer your question though, yes more people would stay around and active if there were tournament matches every week. Now it would depend on the circumstances for sure.

Giant Killer General

really it doesn't matter, as I have said before, I will end the tournament at the most opportune time if matches are left unfinished. So long as people are still playing and there are matches still left to be played, the tournament can go on.

Return to “Myth Fighting Championship 2013”