Metaserver Updates 2015-11-08

Old news relating to the messageboard
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Hey guys,

So it's time to push some fairly extensive updates that have been building up to the metaserver today. These ones require some changes on the web/database side as well so rather than the usual 2 second interruption I'm guessing it could take up to an hour or so, assuming all goes well.

From your point of view not much should change with this update, but there are large changes under the hood to enable better scalability, robustness and testing future client features. As with any big update - and especially given the fairly small size of the Myth community these days - there are likely to be some bugs. I apologize in advance and will do my best to track down and fix them ASAP as they come up, but I'll just ask that you please report any that you run into, particularly if you didn't run into them before the update coming today.

The only real visible change that you guys should notice is that guests will be allowed to have duplicate names with each other (although still not with a registered user). This is a consequence of the server enabling a separation between user name and nick name as was originally possible on Bungie/MariusNet but not possible on GoS. We can have the conversation of whether or not we want to re-enable that ability after the server is deemed stable and so on... there are pros/cons to both as we discussed at length when GoS originally came online. Feel free to start a new thread here about it, or I'll start one later.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and sorry for the inconvenience!

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Just an update here:

The server OS, software and DNS has been updated and the new metaserver code is now live. Just working on the main site...

punkUser

Re: Metaserver Updates 2015-11-08

Post by punkUser »

Ok the web site is back up now and *most* stuff should be working again. The exception is downloading recordings from the web site.

Here's my plan on that front:
1) I'll enable downloading of any replays before the server was reloaded in an hour or so. That should get the majority of the use cases (tourney replays and so on) for now.
2) Replays are still being recorded (in the relevant rooms) even now, they just aren't going to be downloadable for the moment from the web site.
3) In the next few days I hope to implement a new system that handles replays and downloading a bit more robustly than how it worked before.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and as I mentioned please report any oddities or broken stuff that you run into!

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

One known issue now - ranked games are not being represented in stats. Will look into that tomorrow night. Otherwise stuff seems to be running ok so far.

[Edit] Should be fixed now.

dbnova

Post by dbnova »

lets vote for old ranking system u loose u going down whit points not only up like now

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

dbnova wrote:lets vote for old ranking system u loose u going down whit points not only up like now
Please use the existing thread for rank discussion: http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=45&t=2981

dbnova

Post by dbnova »

still host crasch in ranked room:(

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Can you get me more information on what you're doing (game settings, players, host setup, etc)? I couldn't reproduce it when I tried the other day. Can you tell me the exact time of the game that it happened in (ideally the end time) so I can check the logs?

dbnova

Post by dbnova »

hi im the host we play koth games and we start game all is fine but when i stop host and try to get out to lobby i see note room just crach or somthing
http://gateofstorms.net/games/117308

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Hmm so if that's a game that you say it happened after it did seem to get into the db fine:
http://gateofstorms.net/tournaments/RS1 ... mes/117308

Thus I'm not really sure what could have gone wrong... I'll check the log. What version of myth are you running? i.e. in the main menu what build does it say and what operating system are you running it on?

dbnova

Post by dbnova »

1.8.0 windows xp this game count in rank system tru but room is crasing for me when i host and only 1 game is counting

dbnova

Post by dbnova »

1.8.0 win xp game count to ranking but only 1 game is count whitout going out from host if i play 5 games only first count and room is crasched when i get out from hoting

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

What build # of Myth? And yes if you're getting disconnected after the first game none of the other games are going to count.

Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

Is anyone an English teacher, dbnova needs some help.

par73

Post by par73 »

hey PunkUser i have a question for chron and since he avoids forums like flat avoids normal women i want to forward his question to you
"
nig
i can't play myth..says my copy is too old
was there an update? i don't see anything in project magma
"
let me know if you know the remedy, so i can forward it along!

also thanks for keeping up with the server, you should open a donations page sometime if you're considering to continue hosting such a stable platform for a server.
when would you consider the server's anniversary date?

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

@dbnova: one potential bug with ranked games has been fixed so let me know if you still see the disconnected behavior.

@chron: what build do you have? Latest is 427b I believe. If you don't have that go download the latest from PM.net and install it and see if it works then. Otherwise tell me what it says the build # is on the main menu.

@par: yeah I may set up some sort of donations thing in the near future. I don't mind covering a bit of cost out of pocket but when the host proxy stuff comes online that'll necessitate having ~3 or so servers just to distribute them properly across the world for lower latency, at which point it gets somewhat more expensive. Not sure about the exact "anniversary" but from logs it looks like it was around ~June 2013 that folks started using it (remember, it had been online as a test/dev environment for some time before that).

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Quick update - it seems the the forum's ability to send e-mail isn't working after the updates so until I have a chance to track down what broke (probably next week), if you're registering a new account please just e-mail admin@gateofstorms.net directly from the e-mail address that you registered and I'll activate it manually.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

par73

Post by par73 »

chron had 424b, he sends his thanks !

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

punkUser wrote:Quick update - it seems the the forum's ability to send e-mail isn't working after the updates so until I have a chance to track down what broke (probably next week), if you're registering a new account please just e-mail admin@gateofstorms.net directly from the e-mail address that you registered and I'll activate it manually.
Update on this: I think I've cleared up the board e-mail issues so account activations, PM notifications and so on should be working again.

Renwood

Post by Renwood »

This is not NEW but, in build 427b, sometimes when I get dissconnected from a game, or the post game crashes, when I try to get on GOS right away it says "Connecting to PLAYMYTH" Then it just hangs like when you try to join a FWed game. It will do this many times in a row. I think when I just wait a little bit it just goes away and I can get on in just a few mins. But its rather odd.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Keep this thread on topic guys (related to this particular metaserver update).

[Edit] Cleaned thread.

par73

Post by par73 »

I have a question about a potential future update involving releasing the website/webserver statistics to the public.

will you ever release such information or set up a portion of the website to display it ?
personally i'm highly interested. it would be interesting to see how recent years have measured up

we've had almost 20 years of "myth is dead" comments yet here we are late in 2015 shortly before the games 16th 'birthday' discussing recent updates to the metaserver.

the game has always been different, but here we are.

Revan

Post by Revan »

Can there be coop rankings like there was in Mnet? I would love to host Coop Tourneys and just rankings for coop would just be awesome.

VieForPower

Post by VieForPower »

The server is down right now 7:47 AM Eastern 8/1/2016 you dumbshits.

I want a refund.

Return to “Announcements”