Announcing a new Myth website

General MWC related discussion stuff.
Arsenal

Announcing a new Myth website

Post by Arsenal »

I am pleased to announce a new Myth resource, http://myth2.net, a website dedicated to Myth2 tournaments. Users will be able to create and participate in tournaments and will be able to compete with others in a Myth fantasy league.

What does the site do?
  • A centralized location to create and manage tournaments
    -Admin your own tournaments and manage points, wins, scores, etc.
    -Users can create Knockout (bracket system, double or single elim), Round Robin, Ladder system, challenge other teams or players, or a basic tournament.
    -Users can create teams and can signup for tournaments.

Fantasy Leagues
    -Users can predict the winner of tournament matches and compete with each other for points.
    -The first fantasy league is starting this saturday! http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1406

The website is still heavily in development and will continue to have feature updates and changes. I am happy to assist you in any way possible, especially if you are trying to set up a tournament and are unsure of how all the features work. If you have any questions, comments or suggestions please let me know. This is a work in progress and is for the community, so anyway you can see to make it better will only help to improve the site for all of us. Thanks!

BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: Announcing a new Myth website

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

We have enough websites asshole.

Pogue

Post by Pogue »

Isn't GoS supposed to be the main hub of the myth community? Why make another site...

adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Does seem excessive... I think this website is fully capable of and more than adequate for hosting tournies. Tournies hosted here also benefit by the fact that this website has more traffic than any other myth-related site... having another website is just... retarded.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

As I posted in the other thread, I'm happy to host this site on a subdomain here at GoS and give the relevant access to the user database (phpbb) so that people don't need to re-register. Are you guys interested/willing to do that?

Alternatively the current tourney stats site could be developed into a full-fledged bracket system, etc. I've not gone that direction so far since there are usually too many specifics in a given tournament for any real system to handle well. Thus I've concentrated on just the minimal set of features to get stats nicely aggregated, but that definitely can be expanded in the future.

par73

Post by par73 »

punkUser wrote:As I posted in the other thread, I'm happy to host this site on a subdomain here at GoS and give the relevant access to the user database (phpbb) so that people don't need to re-register. Are you guys interested/willing to do that?

Alternatively the current tourney stats site could be developed into a full-fledged bracket system, etc. I've not gone that direction so far since there are usually too many specifics in a given tournament for any real system to handle well. Thus I've concentrated on just the minimal set of features to get stats nicely aggregated, but that definitely can be expanded in the future.

an expansion of a full fledged bracket system; SE/DE , would be a great inclusion !

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

par73 wrote: an expansion of a full fledged bracket system; SE/DE , would be a great inclusion !
Right it's just not a short term thing to do it properly. Thus if people want to have a site like this in the meantime, I'm happy to host it here. At the very least, any tournament tool should be tied into the same user database I think.

Arsenal

Post by Arsenal »

Valid points. I agree with having not having so many websites, which was actually the point of this site. Every MWC, draft tourney, etc. has a different website as it is, the goal of this site was to have all tournaments in one place. If people want to use these forums to organize tournaments that's great, but as as it now, they aren't, they are using a combination of this forum for signups, external websites for maps and rules, and in the latest MWC a 3rd party bracket system. That seems like excess when all of it can be done in one place. I also purposefully did not setup forums on the site so the discussion would stay here and only the tournament information would be on the new site.

I probably should have contacted PunkUser about seeing if I could tie this into the users here, but I assumed it would not have been possible/easy to do with phpBB DB and that people wouldn't mind spending less than 10 seconds to sign up. I'm more than happy to talk with PunkUser about integrating this into GoS, but I have a feeling he might like to make something more specialized to work with GoS.

Honestly, I enjoy making websites, its been a hobby of mine since I was hand coding them in html with flaming skull gifs. I had some free time, a server with extra space and I saw a need for a centralized tourney site so I figured why not. This site only took me a couple afternoons to setup and was just something entertaining for me to do more than anything else and figured I could add in some fun features such as a fantasy league and a couple other ideas I'm still working on.

Return to “Myth World Cup 2013”