Myth World Cup 2017 Announcement

Hosted by Giant Killer General
Giant Killer General

Myth World Cup 2017 Announcement

Post by Giant Killer General »

Hello, fledgling myth community. It is soon coming that time of year when we contemplate whether or not we want to do another mwc rodeo together again.

Should we decide to ride once again, I have decided to throw my hat into the ring and host mwc this year to avoid the clusterfuck and travesty that was last year's mwc. However, my schedule is a bit tight this summer, and my window to pull this off is a bit earlier than mwc's have traditionally been done before (around 3-4 weeks earlier than usual, I think).

Here are all the incredibly simple details that you need to know for this year's mwc if hosted by me:

TOURNAMENT OVERVIEW

-The start date is SATURDAY, JUNE 3RD for the first weekend of matches. The minimum tournament duration is 6 weeks, but 7 weeks is also likely. So the last weekend of the tournament is likely either July 8th or July 15th (subject to change if more than 4 teams register).
-This is a TRIPLE ELIMINATION tournament, no qualifying round.
-This is a 6 vs. 6 tournament. Of course, you can play more if the numbers match up, but it must be either 7v7 or 8v8 (no player advantages above 6 players) unless the team with less players agrees to play undermanned 6v7, 6v8, or 7v8. Such agreement to play undermanned unnecessarily is revocable at any point though in between games during the match (but not in the middle of a game already, obviously).
-Every match is 7 games. Target match duration is 2 to 2.5 hours.
-Matches are scored by win - loss - tie of games (no point system). Desert terries 12 min tie breaker game if needed.
-Fallback time of Sunday, 2pm EDT each week (open to schedule after as long as it is a firmly agreed upon time posted publicly on the forum that I can approve of).

ROSTERS
-No roster limit (your roster is indirectly restricted by the 6v6 anyway, so choose the size of your roster accordingly).
-Minimum roster size of 8 players on a team to make 6v6 or even 7v7 likely, and so that there is at least the possibility of 8v8.
-Subs allowed if both teams agree. If needed, get specific players approved of as subs ahead of a match by the opposing team if in danger of showing up undermanned. Negotiate publicly on the forum and I will help moderate such negotiations to help make them as fair as possible.
-Team registration is open starting today, so you have roughly 2 months to figure out a team. Register teams in the other relevant thread I have posted for team registration (or click here).
-The cut-off day for previously registered players to change teams is Friday, June 16 (right before the 3rd week of matches). After that day, you are stuck on the team that you are already on.
-The cut-off day for unregistered players to be newly added to a team is Friday, June 30 (right before the 5th week of matches). After that day, the rosters for the remaining teams are entirely locked in as they are no matter what.

OTHER
-Target of 4 teams, but as many teams that want to sign up can play, so long as they do not look like forfeit teams (may do a qualifying match ahead of the start date if there are many questionable teams signing up). I prefer quality over quantity with the teams, however.
-To make the brackets work as needed, I will either put in bye weeks for the teams at the top of the brackets, or make the teams at the bottom of the brackets play 2 matches per week (like an mwc bottom bracket).
-Maps will be chosen by Asmodian and other trusted myth figures. I am also open to some community suggestions. But basically my philosophy on maps is that I want half the maps to be BC-oriented (terries, koth, lmoth), and half to be very strategic (FR, KOTM, CTF) for each week, as well as the standard mix of trow / dark / light on proven, balanced, and interesting 3rd party maps.
-The tournament will be hosted entirely from this forum - no website.
-If a team shows with 4 or 5 players, they must play with the player disadvantage 4v6 or 5v6. If a team shows with 3 or less players against a team that shows with 6 or more, then the team with 6 has the option to take the forfeit win (but if they decide to play it out, then they must play it out all the way). If two teams both show up with less than 6 players against one another, they just play it out with what they have.
-Matches should be played in a tournament room as films must be saved, and to prevent guest/dummy accounts from participating in matches.

Additional Miscellaneous Details

I will also be hosting a 1 vs 1 tournament in parallel with mwc (the sequel to the Myth Fighting Championship I hosted in 2013). It will also follow a triple elimination format, along with alternating reg-myth picks, first to 5 wins, win by 2, etc. More details to be posted later.

I have never believed in any single person hijacking control of a myth tradition such as mwc. If people would prefer that I not host mwc this year, and for someone else to host it instead, I am completely open to that given that it is decided in a completely transparent and democratic manner via public voting on the forum with legit names and accounts.

If the June 3rd start date ends up not working for a lot of people such that it has to be pushed back later, then I will likely have to pull my hat out of the mix for hosting.

The last time I attempted to host mwc in 2010, I got into a 12 page argument with Tai Kung raging about how I changed mwc to a 6 vs 6 tournament. Just to prevent this potential tragedy from occurring again, everyone please be aware that Grim had first changed mwc to 6 vs 6 back in like 2008 or 2009 or some shit due to lower participation. And we are in the year 2017 now for those that didn't notice.

I will be out of town and unavailable from May 20 to May 29. Do not fret, I will be back by May 30, a few days prior to the start date.

In the possible event that we cannot get 4 teams that have a reasonable chance to reliably show up for this tournament, then I will likely adapt this into a new all-star match series type format of just 2 teams playing either a best of 5 or best of 7 series of matches.

That's all for now. If I missed anything, let me know.

par73

Re: Myth World Cup 2017 Announcement

Post by par73 »

ooh this is nice and early !

Tai Kung LOL

Demolition

Post by Demolition »

I agree to these rules.

garnish

Post by garnish »

Can you elaborate on triple elimination? I see 6 weeks of maps. If a team loses 3 times in a row, they only play 3 weeks?

Giant Killer General

That is correct.

When there is only 3 teams left, we can either arrange matches between the team with the bye week and the eliminated team, and/or try to set up some rabble 2 team games for anyone who wants to show up and play so people can still get some games while mwc is still going and people are generally active.

Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

Can you put a colorful image that shows the brackets like paris did last MWC
or is this MWC formatted differently?

still I would like some Visuals I hate reading

Giant Killer General

Triple elimination brackets can get a lot more complicated than double elimination brackets, so I would rather not. And also with only 4 teams it isn't going to do that much to help clarify anything. If anyone else would like to put together some visual brackets, I would be happy to help with how the team names get plugged in. But in any case, there is only 4 teams, so it isn't that hard to follow. You can think about it in 3 phases, one phase each for the elimination of 1 team.

Phase 1 - No team is eliminated

The first 3 weeks is a round robin.
-So week 2 is roflmazzers vs berserkers and legends of myth vs dragon army.
-Week 3 is roflmazzers vs legends of myth and berserkers vs dragon army
-If no team is eliminated yet after 3 weeks, a 2nd round robin starts until the 1st team is eliminated. If this is the case, then starting week 4, #1 seed gets an advantage by playing seed #4 again (#2 plays #3). Seeds get updated after every single week's results (decided by match records first, and who beat who for tie breaker).

Phase 2 - One team is eliminated

Once there are 3 teams remaining, the next 3 weeks grant bye weeks, ordered by seeding starting from the top seed and moving down. Therefore:
-First, seed #1 gets a bye week, so seed #2 plays seed #3.
-if another team is not eliminated yet, then, seed #2 gets a bye week, seed #1 plays seed #3.
-if another team is not eliminated yet, then seed #3 gets a bye week

Phase 3: - Two teams are eliminated (finals matches between last 2 teams until winner)
-Obviously once there are only 2 teams remaining, they keep playing until one team has 3 losses, making the other team the winner of the tournament.

akira

Post by akira »

sticky this please

garnish

Post by garnish »

Gkg, quick question, did you announce this tournament anywhere but here?

Giant Killer General

nope, just on these forums and in the myth lobby.

there have been many attempts by people with grandiose ambitions to do some extensive marketing campaign to get old players back and those things never really had any results. word of mouth is always the best thing. and old players are old players usually for good reason. just asking them to come back doesn't have great success. it has been tried many times. but anyone is certainly open to try if they feel so inclined.

Return to “Myth World Cup 2017”