My kids want to play but: Multiple Users on Linux - how?

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Ohgre

My kids want to play but: Multiple Users on Linux - how?

Post by Ohgre »

(I'm cross posting this here as well as the tain forum because...there's so few of us left.)

My kids are finally asking to play Myth with me \o/

But that leads me to a bit of an issue. I have Myth installed in /opt on Manjaro chown'ed to myself. Works fine for me. Prefs etc are also stored in /opt/MythII.

But now I want my kids to be able to play from their own accounts AND ideally have their own prefs so we don't have to enter different user/pass all the time.

I'm thinking of a strategy where each person has their own copy of the executable and prefs etc but the plugins folder is symlinked to a shared folder - currently my plugins folder is 9.4gigs and ideally I don't want to duplicate that per user.

Anyone else had to do this yet?

It's never been so obvious that Myth II was originally built for classic Mac OS and its lack of multiple user accounts!

BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: My kids want to play but: Multiple Users on Linux - how?

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Who the shit are you and why are you using linux to play Myth? The modern world uses Mac or Windows.

Ohgre

Post by Ohgre »

The same problem would still apply on OSX or Windows no? Prefs are still saved in a central place with no support for muliple user accounts.

Unless of course you're still using Mac OS 9 and Windows 95 in the 'modern world' ;)

Dantski

Post by Dantski »

You'll probably get a better answer over at http://tain.totalcodex.net/forum/

edit - oh nevermind I see you posted there too

garnish

Post by garnish »

Sharing a folder between users on linux should be well documented on the wider internet.

Return to “Eblis Stone”