The Cu Classic (Fall Kickball Tournament):

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
DBSeeker

The Cu Classic (Fall Kickball Tournament):

Post by DBSeeker »

Normally, I would give people a break before announcing the formation of a new 2Team Myth tournament. After all, MWC is a tournament that deserves respect, and people normally need to recharge after some heated MWC games.

However, this MWC has suffered from shitty work by the TO, some controversy that hasn't properly resolved itself, and a general nonchalance from everyone as a result of the disaster that is this MWC. Therefore, we're all still wanting some good competitive 2 Team games.

With that in mind, I'm announcing this year's 2Team Fall tournament very early. So early in fact, that we're going to launch around the start of Fall (Sept. 17th). Maybe even earlier if we can.

What is the Cu Classic?

The Cu Classic is a 2 Team tournament with a twist. You sign up as an individual. The venerable Cu decides what team you will join. If Cu decides to have a hissy fit and back out from the Cu Classic, then Limp will decide the teams.

How do I sign up?

I am going to ask punkUser to give us a forum to use. There will be a sticky thread. Sign up on that sticky thread.

What are the rules?

Standard W/T/L. Use normal 2 team play. Generally Accepted Myth Practice Applies. If you violate said practice, then I will make a ruling as to the punishment.

Sounds cool, let's roll.

Awesome. Let's do this!

Asmodian

Re: The Cu Classic:

Post by Asmodian »

I'm in when this gets rolling. You should contact Kryptos/HMP about a few 2t maps they are working on. Maybe they can have them ready for this tournament.

tirri

Post by tirri »

there is massive pressure to demote cu on gkg's list. with all this controversy brewing, is naming your tournament after him and have cu do the honors of diving people into teams really a good pr move? what happens to the tournament if cu falls out of top 30 on the list for example. none of the young kids who admired cu so much will want to touch this tournament with a stick then

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

The Tirri Classic or I'm not playing.

DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

well tirri, as one of my dearest and oldest myth friends, I think you understand that the Cu legend was never fully based on Cu the player, but rather Cu the greatest general manager in the history of Myth and the architect of the Namechangers dynasty.

There is a reason why NC fell off when he stopped playing. They lost the greatest GM of all time.

Cu is the Jerry West/Lou Lameriello of Myth. It is always a good PR move to name things after the Jerry Wests of the world!

BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

The Cu Cunt Clams

Cutard

Post by Cutard »

That has a nice ring to it.

DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

Hey punkUser,

Did you have a chance to take a look at my private message yet, regarding setting up a forum for the Cu Classic?

Thanks!

DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

I went ahead and created a board on proboards:

http://cuclassic.freeforums.net/

You can use that for registration.

Asmodian

Re: The Cu Classic (Fall Kickball Tournament):

Post by Asmodian »

That's a terrible idea. Why not just use the Gate of Storms forums where everything is centralized already?

DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

I haven't been able to get one here.

It would be my preference.

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

PunkUsr will gt you forums h always dos. Just nd to giv him lik a wk can you rad ths without my < > ky working?

Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

Asmodian wrote:PunkUsr will gt you forums h always dos. Just nd to giv him lik a wk can you rad ths without my < > ky working?
asmo says

punkuser will get you forums, he always does. you just need to give hime like a week. can you read this without my keyboard working?

Father Xmas

Post by Father Xmas »

there's a need for a new SSPT

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

DBSeeker wrote:I went ahead and created a board on proboards:

http://cuclassic.freeforums.net/

You can use that for registration.
That's a better solution going forward anyways. I'm going to start discouraging creating tournament forums here as it generally just creates more problems than it solves vs. people managing their own. In any case if/when you need a tournament set up for stats, etc. I'll be happy to do that.

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Alright PunkUser, I like you a lot man and you have made a server that has had more features than any past myth server that has existed and I'm thankful for that. Wasn't the purpose of the gjol --> GoS to be a centralized location for ALL THINGS MYTH? (other than map dls/project magma)

I understand that you aren't that connected to the myth community right now and you have much, much more important things with work, family and your other hobbies. If you don't want to waste time creating sub forums for tournaments & team forums then why not just delegate that duty to someone you can trust? I would be more than willing to help if that's the issue as to why you all of a sudden you don't want to create tournament forums.

I feel like outside of the server itself Gate of Storms most important purpose is to be a centralized spot for tournament forums so it would be pretty disappointing to lose that.

PS: While you're at it feel free to give me an admin tag and every other power.

sharkdrivingabus

Post by sharkdrivingabus »

I too feel confused and frustrated. Gkg and limp immediately got a forum for the alternate MWC - which was way more controversial than a fall post-MWC tourney. It's silly to have people do external registrations and posts at a different forum when we could keep everything centralized here.

I strongly advocate for seeker to be granted his forum.

tirri

Post by tirri »

these are troubling times

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Asmodian wrote:Wasn't the purpose of the gjol --> GoS to be a centralized location for ALL THINGS MYTH? (other than map dls/project magma)
No, that was and has never been the intention of GoS. Read back in the old threads if you doubt it, but if that was the goal then we would have just put it all at PM.net from the start. Remember how GoS started - MariusNet shit the bed and I kindly offered an alternative. My goal for GoS has always been to add various features to bring multiplayer Myth into a semi-modern/usable place. Even though it has taken a while, you might notice that I've done nearly all of the things from the original features thread, including most recently the ability for anyone to host... which frankly is kind of a big deal ;)

The gjol merge was sort of tangential and mostly at the request of those guys... I could give you a list as long as my arm of the number of times someone has planned to create a web site, asked for some feature to be able to query users, stats, etc. from GoS, I've spent my time and delivered that and then nothing has happened. This year's MWC is the most recent example; paris and toxyn asked me to make stats available via an API from GoS which I did and as far as I can tell they did nothing more than create a basic page that says "MWC 2016!!!" on it. Sort of getting tired of putting in time for these sorts of community things when no one else seems to give enough of a shit to actually *do something useful*.
Asmodian wrote:If you don't want to waste time creating sub forums for tournaments & team forums then why not just delegate that duty to someone you can trust? I would be more than willing to help if that's the issue as to why you all of a sudden you don't want to create tournament forums.
If there were a convenient way to do that, I'd happily do it. It's not an issue of trust, it's an issue of phpbb being fairly crappy. If I were to do it over again, GoS would not even have forums - the only reason it had them in the first place was because it was a convenient way of providing user registration. In hindsight, that has been more trouble than it has been worth vs. just having a simple registration interface or similar.
Asmodian wrote: I feel like outside of the server itself Gate of Storms most important purpose is to be a centralized spot for tournament forums so it would be pretty disappointing to lose that.
I think a centralized place is useful, but there's no real reason for that to be GoS forums. To that end, if the community creates a nice group elsewhere (and let's be real - it's 2016, anyone and their dogs can create a forum or similar) - and I've been pointing you guys to plenty of good places like Discord and the like - I'd be happy to link it from here and close down the other parts of the forums to prevent confusion.

I'm sorry if you had a different impression, but it's definitely a non-goal for GoS to be "the hub of all things Myth" and I think if you read back with some of the early threads you'll find that has been consistent since the start. Don't misinterpret my begrudging tolerance of the nonsense that goes on here as approval or design ;)

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

sharkdrivingabus wrote:I too feel confused and frustrated. Gkg and limp immediately got a forum for the alternate MWC - which was way more controversial than a fall post-MWC tourney.
Has nothing to do with controversy or who it is asking; I've been warning people not to rely on me making forums here for a while and that was just the last one.
sharkdrivingabus wrote:It's silly to have people do external registrations and posts at a different forum when we could keep everything centralized here.
Not really - it's important to have one centralized place but there's no reason it has to be here and many good reasons that it shouldn't be (least of all being I'm sick of all the BS).
sharkdrivingabus wrote: I strongly advocate for seeker to be granted his forum.
Tell you what, I will make one last tournament forum for this, but after that you guys agree to move future stuff elsewhere. Cool?

Chohan

Post by Chohan »

punkUser wrote:
sharkdrivingabus wrote: I strongly advocate for seeker to be granted his forum.
Tell you what, I will make one last tournament forum for this, but after that you guys agree to move future stuff elsewhere. Cool?
That's how it starts....the fever....the rage. I can smell the OM building on the horizon.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Chohan wrote: That's how it starts....the fever....the rage. I can smell the OM building on the horizon.
It's quite the opposite - I have no desire to police you guys and deal with your whining when I am forced to :) Thus, you need to find a place where you can manage yourselves however you want to and the results are unrelated to me or OM or anyone else. There is no technical reason you can't do this easily these days, so I don'[t buy any of the whining that might have made sense in the past about how hard it is ;)

Please see the new announcement and direct the complaining there for the time being. Or, you know, do something productive about it all :)

Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

I am just appreciative of what punkuser has done already

even tho it is a little laggier proxy host has increased the # of myth games

shadow

Post by shadow »

punkUser wrote:
Chohan wrote: That's how it starts....the fever....the rage. I can smell the OM building on the horizon.
It's quite the opposite - I have no desire to police you guys and deal with your whining when I am forced to :) Thus, you need to find a place where you can manage yourselves however you want to and the results are unrelated to me or OM or anyone else. There is no technical reason you can't do this easily these days, so I don'[t buy any of the whining that might have made sense in the past about how hard it is ;)

Please see the new announcement and direct the complaining there for the time being. Or, you know, do something productive about it all :)
GOS is very last place for M2. We can't survive another migration.
Lost too many players with all this migrations.

Keeping all tournaments and forums in one place really help keeping that game alive.

par73

Post by par73 »

punkUser wrote: The gjol merge was sort of tangential and mostly at the request of those guys... I could give you a list as long as my arm of the number of times someone has planned to create a web site, asked for some feature to be able to query users, stats, etc. from GoS, I've spent my time and delivered that and then nothing has happened. This year's MWC is the most recent example; paris and toxyn asked me to make stats available via an API from GoS which I did and as far as I can tell they did nothing more than create a basic page that says "MWC 2016!!!" on it. Sort of getting tired of putting in time for these sorts of community things when no one else seems to give enough of a shit to actually *do something useful*.
Sorry for the lack of laboring fruits thus far, but the whole "MWC 2016!!!" idea turned into something much bigger and more productive for the community going forward rather than [TLDR; one tournament season, or] having to rely on you to babysit "Competitive" myth player needs while you spend your efforts on maintaining the server and patch work with no expense for us. The community seems much less appreciative of having an opportunity to play myth online now (without TCP) after being pampered and blessed with the opportunity to do so over the past some 12 years, and that is an understatement in itself. I guess everyone forgot what happened when there were no servers for MWC2002 and playmyth.net went down in 2005 during the final stages of MWC2005.

It was pretty obvious people could have cared less about being patient for a tournament website by the responses made on the GateofStorms.net forums, which I never wanted to use in the first place. People attacked me for having too much of an "Ego" to ask you for help when the reality was I no longer believed in the idea you should be bothered with any of this crap after what you have done for all of us.

Tox has been working on an app that is going to be made publicly available so that anyone would be able to host a functioning tournament website with forums, that will be able to utilize the API you provided him. Support for hosting will be provided as well if it's needed. I'm sure it will provide a nice "alternative" for players to gather on, outside of Discord servers. I cringe when I think of people begging you for team or tournament forums in 2016, it's lazy and pathetic when we have so many tools available to our dumb asses.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

par73 wrote: Tox has been working on an app that is going to be made publicly available so that anyone would be able to host a functioning tournament website with forums, that will be able to utilize the API you provided him. Support for hosting will be provided as well if it's needed. I'm sure it will provide a nice "alternative" for players to gather on, outside of Discord servers.
Cool, I'm glad to hear that is still ongoing. It wasn't clear to me if that was meant to be a MWC2016 thing or something for the future. In any case it was merely the most recent example of stuff I've added for people over the years that didn't get used - it's certainly not the only example :)

wwo

Post by wwo »

You should name and shame them for abusing your generosity.

adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Could you not just delegate, Punk? Like give someone the permissions to create subforums and whatnot?

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

It's not a kickball night. It's a 2-team tournament.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

adrenaline wrote:Could you not just delegate, Punk? Like give someone the permissions to create subforums and whatnot?
See the announcement I posted if you're curious about the details. Suffice it to say, phpbb itself is a big part of the increasing problem here.

Return to “Eblis Stone”