Mariusnet and GOS and Life and RTM

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Rikkµ

Mariusnet and GOS and Life and RTM

Post by Rikkµ »

So,
Having been afk from Myth..a bit... I finally found you guys here .
I see Mariusnet is down or gone ?
What happened?
Anyone willing to take over/buy/re-integrate the server?
This would be a good thing.
Good to see there is a Myth presence still active online.
What have you all been up to?
At the moment I am in Ukraine (since Dec 2013) and doing volunteering work looking after victims in the war here .
Other times I get to use various stuff ( heavy .50 cal weapons etc....)
WW2 for real :)
(where is Kodiak when you need him and other Defence Force Personnel Myth players? )
If anyone is into scrap war items , what do you need? Stuff gets trashed here daily.
I have not played since MWC 2103, so I had better download it from somewhere and start again perhaps.
It is very good to see some uaul familiar faces on teh forums.
I do hope that you all are safe and well and progressinbng positively in life.
Myth has been a big part of our lives and the most impt part I feel is the friends that we have made and those that we have not forgotten, even if they are currently absent from our lives at present.
I never do
(slaps Pyro,Drunken,Toe,Cho,Paris (4x2 on Kirk only of course) and many others) (^_^)

Look forward to hearing from you all.
RTM (return to Myth)

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Rikkμ
Jeri Ryan 7of9
Irμkandji
Tram
(among other names I forget)

Pogue

Re: Mariusnet and GOS and Life and RTM

Post by Pogue »

Rikkµ wrote:
At the moment I am in Ukraine (since Dec 2013) and doing volunteering work looking after victims in the war here .
That's still going on?

Rikkµ

Post by Rikkµ »

Umm yes...
I am in the heart of it .. in Donetsk city.

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Rikkµ wrote:I have not played since MWC 2103
I'd like to borrow that time machine once you're done with it.
Rikkµ wrote:I see Mariusnet is down or gone ?
What happened?
Anyone willing to take over/buy/re-integrate the server?
Probably gone, hard to say for sure. The hosting company was going out of business so the server had to be moved back in June 2013. During the move the server was damaged. It wasn't noticed until it arrived in the new location and it would not work, so it had to be have some part replaced. That same year, punkUser had been working on a new server for the purpose of adding server side features for tournaments. GoS's opening came about a week before Mnet's downtime. Once Mnet was back, it had issues. I believe something became corrupt in its database. Some functions wouldn't work like rank and new registrations. The site started to fail and give error 500 more and more often until it stopped working altogether. The metaserver continued to work for sometime before going down in September 2013. The site started working again weeks later that same month but the metaserver was still down. It was working again and finally went down for the last time in May 2014 and hasn't gotten back up since. You can find details about it on the Magma forums.

Rikkµ

Post by Rikkµ »

Time machine is being repaired the Mr. Fusion , needs a new inverter circuit.
I'll let you know when, and we can take some Core2's (or whatever runs M2 1.3 fastest) and re-pwn Myth 2 with them.
It all sounds very convoluted Pyro.If the server was damaged in the "move" , then someone has to pay for that damage, that is why we have insurance.Why was the data not backed up and why was it not then just migrated onto a new server?
We do all the time for clients.A Server fails competely (RAID , hardware, etc) , we just install whatever and then migrate it all and back and runnning in a few hours (to a day for a very large system) .Hardware is not the issue mostly,data failure is ; we use HP Servers G5 , G6, G7 , G8's mostly and have a lot of tradeins.
I will go check out Project Magma (glad that is still going too).
Sounds like we need some decent hardware and some Koderz to bring Myth back up to spec, and move it forward to a more positive state of being :)

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Well don't ask me. PPE probably didn't see too much of a need to have some off server backup of Mnet. He probably thought having RAID was enough to cover a few hard drive failures. Anyways, it is hard to imagine PPE cares to get Mnet running again given how he let it suffer in the last few years and given that GoS exists. The Marathon users switched to their own server, so the only ones affected would be the rare TFL and M3 players who would show up only to leave as there were no other players for them. They can always organize TCP/IP games or stick to Myth2 like most of us.

Rikkµ

Post by Rikkµ »

Well I could send him some hardware and we could run Mnet with that and have a backup server to switch to.Or build GOS to be a new improved Myth server , depending on what the community would like to do.
I am a big fan of fast reliable servers especially with SSD's and Fibre Channel drives. I have had even lowly Quad processor DL380 G5 3GHz Quad Core's running non-stop for 5 years with only dustcleaning breaks every 6 months.
Good hardware to run Myth on , but I am a fan of G7's (perhaps overkill)
Marius was good , but needed a serious overhaul and that needs 2 servers to implement properly.Redundancy is a must.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Do you have a specific issue with GoS as it runs today? The hardware is plenty capable (the load never even registers and it has been very stable) and with the wonderful world of virtualization these days it can trivially be given more hardware if that ever became necessary.

Beyond M3/TFL support, is there a specific reason you want Mnet back? GoS *is* a "new and improved Myth server" written from the ground up with new features. Sure it doesn't do everything that Mnet did but I think the important stuff is covered for the current community size. Feel free to go post in the feature priorities list thread in the Metaserver forums if you have suggestions on what you'd like to see next, etc. Feedback is always appreciated.

Rikkµ

Post by Rikkµ »

Hi Punky,
Well, I have not played on GOS since 2013, so I don't know how it plays now.Having TFL and M3 support is nice however .
Is it possible to perhaps merge the two somehow? I had been on MNet since forever and would like to get back all my friends contacts from there.I have not looked at the code of MNet, but I know from memory where is was based from an old BNet version, which was notoriously not the best.PpE did a good job, and I would hate to see all that effort go to waste considering the time spent on it.The idea of MNet not doing anything is not a good use of its history and resources. I will look into how GOS runs now and give feedback on it as I am interested in its details and progression since 2013.

Return to “Eblis Stone”