Hot Springs trade?

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Jottle

Hot Springs trade?

Post by Jottle »

I'm looking for some input on what you all think are some of the best trades to make on Appa. Hot Springs lmonth. I really like this map, but I find that there's a big variety in trades to be made. Before everyone tells me to head over to the Myth Graveyard and read up like a noob, I just want to point out that there aren't a lot of strategy articles papers out there on this map. I've been watching films as well. Please chime in with your responses:

1. What's your favorite trade to make on this map with lmonth gametype?

2. Why do you think it's the best?

Dantski

Re: Hot Springs trade?

Post by Dantski »

Really heavy melee is what matters at the end of the game, there's enough units on the map and ways to get to the flag that long SD's are standard. Dwarfs are too easily killed by pus but 1-2 is alright to trade for. You'll want enough archers and pus to not be pushed too far away from an entrance to mid but as few archers as you can get away with really. Sinking wights should only really be done if you start middle as there's no guarantee you can get to mid pools otherwise. Generally you just want to keep the waters near you clear of wights (scout with ghol at start!) and pus enemy dwarfs that threaten your melee. Once the enemy ranged units are down you've got a decent shot of winning.

adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I never get heavy mellee on this and I win more time than not... but of course, it depends on your playing style. If you aren't going mellee heavy, you need to keep some mellee alive for the dying minutes of the game... and you have to make sure the flag remains contested long enough for the other enemies' mellee to dwindle... which could be a long time if a few players go heavy on the thrall (which is nearly always the case). I do get a few thrall, of course, to tag/scare out wights from the mid pools... but rarely more than a handful. Dantski is right about getting as few bows as you can get away with... which I think is 6-8, depending on the start. I'm a big fan of dorfs on this map, because they can clean up mid in a hurry if you are good with them, and good at protecting them.

In your case, being a less experienced player, I'd recommend not using my approach to this map. You're best chance of success is heavy mellee and taking out enemy ranged units with puss, as Dant mentioned.

Jottle

Post by Jottle »

I should have added the caveat (as Dantski mentioned) that starting mid would change the trade for many, but probably only in terms of having more wights before rushing to the east hill.

zagon

Post by zagon »

If mid start max wights. Anywhere else max arc and wars. 4 ghols with 2 wights healed. I usually don't take dwarves

adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

you usually don't win games, either.

wwo

Post by wwo »

You can do search for films by map name. Look up some with known good players in them.

As a reference, me (meh) and sam (great) were slumming in one of those appy-lmoth games and we ended up with basically the same trade: lots of thrall, about 6-8 archers, 2-3 dwarfs, 4 pus ghols, a jman or 2, and the rest warriors. Dant already laid out the plan: clear the wights for your path, then snipe the dorfs so you can use your melee, then try to claim the hill with a dorf and a melee horde. Be prepared to contest with a combination of a ghol and 2-3 thrall at a time until the other objectives (enemy wights and dorfs) are taken care of.

Silent

Post by Silent »

Max Arcs, 2-3 Dwarves, 4 Wights for routing out other wights or using, two J-men, rest into warriors.

I've beat players that are better than me a number of times doing this. They usually went for heavy-melee trades, but I either spawned on or got to the hill first, and their advantage was cut by a handful of bottles. I also won by time-out, as spreading out your units to prevent contesting is easier on this map than most.

Dantski

Post by Dantski »

That's partly why I've barely played random FFA games since 2006. You'll get too many players in the games who either have no clue what they're doing or are just messing about. In a random FFA people can sit 100% of their army middle and still win because other players will just fight and ignore middle or they will refuse to sacrrifice some melee to keep contesting so that everyone can whittle down the person with artillery middle.

BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

this is a terrible thread.

shinco

Post by shinco »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:this is a terrible thread.

This user would win a ban bet vs you.

shinco

Return to “Eblis Stone”