Lethal Fighting Championship 2017

Hosted by par73
par73

Lethal Fighting Championship 2017

Post by par73 »

Click here for the website for the tournament!
We haven't had a complete 1v1 tournament since like the summer of 2013. We are well past due for another one to get some updated player rankings.

Therefore I am continuing an old 1v1 tournament series entitled The Myth Fighting Championship (MFC), this year dubbed Lethal Fighting Championship (LFC).

Here are the rules:

There are 3 phases to this tournament:
  • 1) Qualifying Round
    2) Round Robin
    3) Double Elimination
PHASE 0 - REGISTRATION
Before you can play in the open QR, you must register. To register, simply post your desire to compete in the "Registration" thread (next to this thread) and you will be signed up. Note that you can start playing matches against other registered players immediately after you sign up, it is an open QR from now until April 21st.

Click here to go to the Registration Thread now!

PHASE 1 - QUALIFYING ROUND
The qualifying round is open from March 31st until April 24th. There will be officially organized events for everyone on Friday, March 31st at 11:00 PM and Saturday, April 1st, at 2 pm EST. The QR consists of playing at least 4 matches against ANY other registered players. The QR matches are first to 3 wins, win by 2. Aside from the organized time on Saturday, April 1st at 2 pm EST, you can play matches at any time on your own before April 14th. You can play as many matches as you want, and you can even play the same player in more than once match. However, you must play at least 4 different registered players to be entered into the divisional round robin. This is incredibly important because this will show that you are active enough to participate in the DE rounds and not delay the tournament. No one will be allowed to compete without these 4 preliminary QR matches played.

PHASE 2 - DIVISIONAL ROUND ROBIN
Each match is the same as the the QR, first to 3 game wins, win by 2. Matches are won by first to 3 set wins, win by 2. You play 1 match against each player in your division.

The tournament will continue until all of the matches are completed against the other 4 players in each division. I estimate it will take a few weeks to complete, however I will monitor it as we go. I will create fallback times for players to complete their matches against their respective opponents. Of course if you are keeping up with your matches, then you can miss all the fallbacks you want. You should also still notify myself and everyone in your division with 2 days notice (i.e. by Thursday that week) if you will miss that fallback, just as common courtesy. Nobody needs to be forfeited for falling behind on their matches, I would rather have some matches than no matches at all. The reason for that rule is because that is the point at which I believe interest in the tournament will begin winding down. I will just end the round robin if needed without all the series complete if a few stragglers just have not been active enough with their matches, and seed accordingly.

PHASE 3 - DIVISIONAL ELIMINATION BRACKET
The results of the Divisional Round Robin will build the seeding for tournament brackets fielding players from their respective divisions. Fallbacks will be set in place for these matches, again you should also still notify myself and your opponent with 2 days notice (i.e. by Thursday that week) if you will miss that fallback.
In the grand finals for each bracket, the Upper Bracket Champion and Lower Bracket Champion will battle in a best of 7, first to 4 wins with a 2 game lead over their opponents in order to become the champion of their bracket.

I reserve the right to modify the tournament schedule as needed in the best interest of the tournament.

QR SEEDING:

QR matches will be used for seeding for the DE round. Seeding will not strictly be by match record only, it will gauge who you specifically played as well. So playing only easy opponents is not going to help you any here, just as playing all tough opponents will not hurt you any. I recommend playing as difficult of opponents as you can though to help prepare you for the DE rounds. In the case of ties, game scores will be used.

The open QR format is for more flexibility, freedom, and fun. So with an open format it doesn't make sense to go by match record, because the difficulty of the opponents and number of matches per player will be variable.

Instead, I will construct the rankings depending on the results of who won and lost vs who. Player A beat B, and player B beat C, so rankings 1-2-3 go A-B-C. that sort of thing. In the case of ties, I will look at game records. If anyone has any questions about their ranking I can certainly explain it to them. In the case where there is a patch of broken links in the web of match results, I can compare game records of different players against the same opponent. In the absolute worst case I will use my own judgement, but hopefully people play plenty of QR matches so that isn't a problem.

Another big factor I will be using to address 3 way ties, tied match records, and rankings in general, is by giving more weight towards the more recent matches. This helps a lot actually to get around the situation now with all the different outcomes from a player who participates extremely more frequent than others and other outlier match results.

This prevents people from sitting on an artificial / temporary high rank, giving advantage to those that play more.

Also, you cannot be raised in rank indirectly through other's victories. By indirectly I mean, because you beat that player, and now that player is beating everyone else, you don't get rank from that. You have to play your own matches directly.

The point of this is that you have to play matches to solidify your ranking. The rank earned from any outlying victories you have (a win over a single player much higher ranked than you) is going to get washed out by all of your other match results unless you can beat others equally as high ranked to solidify it.

MATCH RULES:

Who Picks First:
  • - The lower seeded player picks first. If there are no seeds, use common sense in the lesser player picking first or figure it out however you want. It is win by 2 so it really doesn't matter.
    - You alternate map picks, you cannot pick the same map twice unless your opponent agrees (you can pick something your opponent picked though).
    - Giving your opponent your pick does not give you their next pick, essentially you enable your opponent to pick two in a row. They can of course offer you their pick, which would rotate the picking order.
Game Options:
  • -These are open 1v1 duels, which means every game is no vets, normal difficulty, trading on, 30-60 sec PT, map on, etc.
    -Use the honor system for maps with big start advantages in certain situations (grave/web LMOTH, etc. ), and for game restarts with obvious game-deciding lagouts / freezes. If there are any disputes, finish the match then bring it up later if it even matters.
    -The only 3rd party plugin allowed will be the Proving Ground Dueling Pack made by SamTheButcher. You may play other 3rd party maps, and use other game options, but only if both players agree.

You can get the PG Dueling Pack Plugin on SamTheButcher's site here: http://thebutchersmaps.weebly.com/

Or at theTain here: http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/p ... ing-pack-1

-Gate of Storms (GoS) will be the metaserver for this tournament (we need the easy access to films). Patch 1.8.1, build 434 will be the version of myth for this tournament.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:

NO MATCHES PLAYED OUTSIDE OF A FILM ROOM ON THE GATE OF STORMS SERVER WILL COUNT, EVEN IF GATEOFSTORMS IS DOWN. YOU MUST PLAY YOUR MATCHES IN A FILM ROOM ON THE GATE OF STORMS SERVER, AND BE LOGGED INTO YOUR PROPER (NON-GUEST) ACCOUNT. THIS IS SO THAT WE CAN GET 100% OF THE GAMES ADDED TO THE SITE'S TOURNEY FEATURES FOR ORGANIZING FILMS, STATS, ETC. AND BE ABLE TO ARCHIVE THAT DATA FOREVER

Lastly, I would like to try to raise a small prize for the winner of this tournament (maybe $50). I know that may be difficult and unlikely, but in case anyone is interested in supporting competitive myth in this way, even if we have to combine small contributions from multiple people, please let me know.

Special thanks to Verminix for creating a graphic design to help represent the tournament.

par73

Re: Lethal Fighting Championship 2017

Post by par73 »

Prize update: Phos has donated $20 to the overall cash pool. Since someone stepped up, I will also throw in 30$ to the overall cash pool. Winning the double elimination bracket is now worth $25 bucks of joy and myth fame. If anyone else wants to add to the prize pool, feel free to contact me.

Return to “Lethal Fighting Championship 2017 (1v1)”