GoS server recordings only show one team's chat

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
par73

GoS server recordings only show one team's chat

Post by par73 »

hey I was watching some recordings from
http://gateofstorms.net/tournaments/TWS2018/rounds/651/
at first I had thought one team was using voice chat, or not communicating, while the other was communicating a lot. unfortunately, these saved recordings only show one team's chat and not both teams. strange bug.
i don't think this happens to personal saved netgames, but it seems the films saved and made publically available on the metaserver's website have this issue.
any thoughts?

punkUser

Re: GoS server recordings only show one team's chat

Post by punkUser »

I'm not really aware of why the server's films would be different than the clients unless there was some change to the recent client code. The server is not particularly involved in the film other than basically dumping the stream that it gets from the host to disk. If possible, grab a personally-recorded film and the same one from the server and post both on the projectmagma page - they can probably take a look.

HMP

Post by HMP »

Just tested it. It is indeed a client issue, specifically a 1.8.2 issue. From what I can tell, it appears that when it comes to chat, 1.8.2 displays it as if you were in game on the host's team. Any what whispered on another team will not appear, even for non-host players who save the film on a different team. However, all the actual chat is still saved in the film, it is just displaying it on 1.8.2 that is the issue. If you play the same film on 1.8.1, chat will display as it should.

par73

Post by par73 »

lol so the current fix for viewing films is return to 1.8.1 ?? :P

what's the ETA for 1.8.3 or 1.8.2b? heh, i saw people make comments on how they are shocked people still update myth 20 years down the line. i suppose there is always a new bug or something worth updating over at magma.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

I imagine for an issue like that they could issue a patch relatively quick - just go report it on the projectmagma forums.

HMP

Post by HMP »

Yep, I already messaged Myrd about it. I'm sure it will get fixed when he has the time. At any rate, the films themselves seem to be fine so if there's some priceless in game chat out there, it's still getting recorded.

Return to “Gate of Storms”