Myth Install Problem - Help

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
Asmodian

Myth Install Problem - Help

Post by Asmodian »

Long story short, I downloaded an update for my computer and restarted it while myth 2 was still open and I have been getting lag spikes non-stop in games ever sense that time. I decided to uninstall and reinstall using the downloads that drunken provided on the myth 2 steam page and this is what I get when I tried following those instructions.

I unziped MythII.part01.rar & then got the following "MythII" folder as shown in the picture below.

When I opened the folder what I saw is the following below and it is missing the application of myth 2.

Btw I tried extracting that MythII.exe and I just get a "MythII" folder with nothing in it.

or it gives me the following...

PS: I'm on a Mac incase that has anything to do with it...

Also I have no shame in dling it for free. I have bought 3 copies of myth 2 in my lifetime, but they are all in storage somewhere :D

wwo

Re: Myth Install Problem - Help

Post by wwo »

How did you do the extraction from that first screenshot? Usually extracting the first one will automatically extract the rest.

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Just like that.

Also I have installed myth in the past the same way (not using Drunken's) and it worked just fine. I'm pretty confused as to why this is not working...

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Run the latest update as always. The "Myth II.exe" is the application but for Windows users. Safe to delete the "Uninst.isu", "Smackw32.dll", "metaservers", Fear, Loathing, Myth II.exe, Readme_1.7.2.pdf, and "Map Making Docs.zip". Some of that are Windows only files and the rest are outdated files.

People these days can't even make proper backups without useless files.

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Thank you for the help people wow and pyro.

Yes that did the trick Pyro, for some reason in the past when I have unzipped the original archived documents it had always put the application straight into the "MythII" folder, but it wash different this time. Just updating the latest patch worked though and now to see if all this hasslel will actually fix my lag problem...

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

I will note that it's sort of unlikely that lag has anything to do with Myth 2 itself (unless you were getting FPS drops, not network game "lag"). It's much more likely that whatever you did to affect the system itself might be causing wide-spread network issues (or that something changed with your ISP/connection and the timing is just a coincidence). Myth uses the same networking interface as any other application, so it's hard to imagine a way that only one application would see network lag while others are fine.

Anyways, hope you get it solved.

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Asmodian wrote:for some reason in the past when I have unzipped the original archived documents it had always put the application straight into the "MythII" folder, but it wash different this time.
Because the archived files you unzipped did not include the application for Mac users just the executable for Windows users. Neither should have been included in the archived files as the update will install it.

Also to add to what Punk said. If you want to reset Myth, deleting your "preferences" folder is the same as a clean install as long as your game files were not corrupt or altered. If you suspect your game files, run an integrity check on them.

Return to “Gate of Storms”