Hosting with a mac using airport extreme base station.

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
East Wind tmnt

Hosting with a mac using airport extreme base station.

Post by East Wind tmnt »

Hey PunkUser I'm having trouble unfwing my mac! I have just have a modem and and airport extreme base station btw. I uploaded some pics of my airport utility configuration. Is the problem, this double NAT thing?

punkUser

Re: Hosting with a mac using airport extreme base station.

Post by punkUser »

Yes, definitely a double-NAT... you can see that the router thinks that it's public IP address is 192.168.x.x... that's an internal-only network address that is being provided by whatever NAT is upstream from it. Assuming that's some sort of ISP-provided modem, you should ask them if they can switch it into "bridging mode" rather than router/NAT mode. Otherwise things can potentially be made to work with double-NAT, but it's finicky and complicated.

I guess as the airport notes you could disable its NAT functionality, but then you'd have to forward ports on the ISP router. In my experience most consumer routers are much better than the ISP combo boxes, so I prefer to have the latter be the one doing the simple pass-through.

East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

So I set the airport to bridge mode, then went to modem website and am using that to try unfw. Should 3453 go into all the port values in this pic?

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Is that a port triggering list or something? You'll need to use port forwarding - i.e. to a specific computer - to make Myth work.

East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

Got it working yeaaaaa - thx for the help btw PunkUser!

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Great, more hosts is always a good thing!

Return to “Gate of Storms”