Rare Myth connection Problem! HELP!

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
Melkor

Rare Myth connection Problem! HELP!

Post by Melkor »

Hi!

I just open the port 3453 for be able of hosting myth. But, here is my problem... I have two computers in the same network. I can host a game in computer 1 and people can gen inside the host, except my computer 2... The "FW Message" shows when i try to connect to the computer 1 Host...

Basically, I can host for everyone online, except for computes in my own network. The LAN connection works fine.

Anyone knows what the problem could be??

Thanks a lot.

punkUser

Re: Rare Myth connection Problem! HELP!

Post by punkUser »

It's hard to know for sure from this information, but it's possible that your router doesn't support NAT "loopback"/"reflection", which is required. Basically, your router has to recognize that a packet originating from inside that LAN actually satisfies a port forward rule and rather than send it outside, it redirects it back according to that rule.

I tested it with my router (an ASUS RT-N66U) and it works fine. However I got someone else to test with a different router and indeed it didn't work, the same as you describe. Look around and see if there is maybe a security setting or similar that disables this feature on your router. It might be called something like "Filter Internet NAT Redirection", which you should *disable* (i.e. you do *not* want to filter these packets). Also try updating router firmware.

Unfortunately, there's no way that I know of to work around this issue for now other than getting a router/firmware/whatever that supports the feature. That said, I'm working on some proxy features that will solve all sorts of connection issues in the future, including this one, although it will introduce some amount of lag (depending on a variety of factors), especially compared to a direct LAN connection.

[Edit] Found a somewhat outdated list of routers supporting the feature here: http://opensimulator.org/wiki/NAT_Loopback_Routers. Not sure exactly how relevant it is to 2014 though. What sort of router do you have?

Arsenal

Post by Arsenal »

I had a similar problem years ago when I was running some servers. If I tried to access them from another computer in the same network it would redirect to the router config page. It ended up being the problem punkuser said. My thrown together quick fix was to write a quick local redirect for the domain to go to the local ip of the machine the server was on. If you have a static ip I bet you could have it redirect to the local ip when requested.

Melkor

Post by Melkor »

Problem Solved!!

I do not exactly why (LOL).
I set the router granted by my internet provider as bridge mode and my airport as gateway.
Once i cancel that router, the problem disappeared.

Looks like i was behind 2 NAT (The Huawey router and the airport). I have to say the 3453 port was opened in both routers.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Perfect! Yeah double-NAT is a tricky config that rarely works well (particularly when stuff like port forward and NAT loopback get involved). Glad you were able to resolve it.

Mørgø†h

Post by Mørgø†h »

Now that the problem is solved...

You know if there is a way for open 3453 port to the entire network? not only a computer.

Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Opening port 3453 for your whole network won't solve the problem of joining a host from your own network. If you just want to be able to host from any computer in your network, there is a way for that. Use a different port per computer. To change the port Myth uses, create a text file in the preferences folder and name it "poweruser.txt". Then add the following:

Code: Select all

[Net.Hosting]
PortNumber=3453
Instead of 3453 use something else like 3454. This way you can forward a different port per computer and be able to host Myth2 from any of them. Remember this won't bypass the problem of trying to join a host from the same network.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

What Pyro said. The notion that this is a "firewall" and you just need to "open" ports is not correct... with NAT it's basically your router pretending to be one computer and all the computers behind the network "sharing" that connection. Thus each port can only be used/forwarded to one machine (roughly).

So if you want multiple folks to be able to host from behind a NAT you need to change the port Myth uses to be different on each one, and forward them all appropriately. Pyro was nice enough to post how to do that above.

Melkor

Post by Melkor »

I solved the connection problem. The network was behind 2 NATs.

And about hosting from any computer, thanks a lot pyro. It was not what i wanted, but anyway is a solution. I'll try it.

Return to “Gate of Storms”