So this server has been up for months

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
Lizard King

So this server has been up for months

Post by Lizard King »

And there are still no significant changes from the day it went up other than the MWC winners receiving a rank icon.

Not a single one of the implementations that have been discussed have been utilized. The GOS website still looks like it was designed by a drunken 14 year old, you wouldn't even know myth existed by navigating to this blatant piece of shit. Howabout proving me wrong for once, getting off your ass and making something happen with this server. The expectation from the ignorant hopefuls is that this server will somehow be better than marius; as of yet it's months away from even catching up to where marius left off.

Impressive stuff, thanks! Maybe when things don't work out for you here Bill Gates will be so impressed with your unparallelled expertise and dedication he'll hire you on full time giving him blow jobs!

punkUser

Re: So this server has been up for months

Post by punkUser »

Meh, there have been a fair number of updates and feature additions, and more to come. Your statement is vacuously false in that at least two of the things on the "Feature Priorities" list (see the thread) have been implemented. I'm not going to go through them point by point as you can read about the updates in the Metaserver section here (have you?). Obviously you can argue about your own definition of "significant", but I'll note that a number of them took some work. Oh and moving the whole metaserver/site to a new host and vastly improving the performance of it all.

To remind you, I do have a full time job, a family (w/ kids) and am doing this all as a volunteer, so it's not going to move at the pace of a commercial product. If you have any useful skills you're welcome to PM me and offer to help :) So far the few who have offered haven't managed to deliver a lot yet, which seems to indicate that my situation is not unique.

Anyways as usual, you are more than welcome to use MariusNet... it has been down for a couple weeks again though, so not sure on the ETA of it being back up.

Finally, feel free to post your list of priorities in the feature priorities thread here so it can be integrated with the other folks' feedback.

wwo

Post by wwo »

Two awesome things:

1. a chat feature built into this website

2. just like mnet, a way to see the users currently online and the games being played

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Please post these in the features thread so I can keep everything collected.

That said...
wwo wrote: 1. a chat feature built into this website
Likely not going to happen in the short term. Once such a thing worked there would be little need for the metaserver part in Myth at all since you could just as easily launch games right from the web site "metaserver". Long term, that's probably the right way to go (a. la. Battlefield's Battlelog) rather than continuing to reinvent the wheel in Myth lobby features, but that's definitely a large change.
wwo wrote: 2. just like mnet, a way to see the users currently online and the games being played
That's doable and coming soon, at least in a raw form. Note that I'm not sure if it will be a net positive or negative on metaserver occupancy, but ultimately I'm for providing the tools and letting players do what they want with them.

Return to “Gate of Storms”