Update #2:

DBSeeker

Update #2:

Post by DBSeeker »

We've got around 35 entrants. Just a few more and we'll hit the target of 40. At that point, I'll keep registration open for another week or two before closing it. That is also the point when I will get the draft scheduled.

Also of importance, we may change the substitute rule to NO SUBS. This is a special Cu request.

Oh, and maps...

Limp released his map list on Discord. This list is probably what will be used to generate the list of approved maps for each round, or we might just keep the list open for the entire tournament and let players decide as they advance... that part is not in stone yet:

A Poison Holiday
Caer Cadarn
Fosgarach
Desert Ruins
Dun Caric
Acts of Piety
A Grave Reason to Swim
Arcane Haven
Barbarian Valley
Beckoning Wilds**
Broken Arrow
Chalk Hills
Creep
Keep
Stalk
Valencia
Eyrie
Going to town*
Green Acres
Grilling
Hills of the Crow
Hvergelmir
Quixotism
Leagues from Somewhere
Lichen
Lost Paths (blood)**
mixed blessings
majestic falls
krakatoa
mjila
mockingbird
peace in the palace
peace on the ramparts****
shuffle
Sieve
sleepy hollow
tallow abbey
smells
spinach
tamaerlin
when the trow comes around
in the midst of four herons
thaw
barrens
great divide
under muirthemne
twister
zodiac

(Note: the FFA maps can be played with allies no problem.)

adrenaline

Re: Update #2:

Post by adrenaline »

honestly, that's way too many maps for a map pool. I'd love to see it whittled down to like... 15-20 and focus on playing a variety of gametypes. Likely to see the best games on established maps. Also why is limp choosing the maps? Should not it be Cu???

Personally, I'd do something like:

Desert/Trow
Clash/Cracks
Drowned Kingdom
Dead of Winter
Creep
Hver
Caer
Calm/Thaw
Fosgarach
Poison Holiday
Acts
Barb Valley
Shuffle
Lichen
Grilling Grounds
Tamaerlin

+ a few others that have proven to play well

Some may call it boring, but that's my opinion on things for what it's worth... I've just seen so many shit matches due to really shit map picks in the last few tournaments. Would love to see rounds like:

Desert (terries)
Grilling Grounds (light CTF)
Lichen (light FR)
Fosgarach (CTF)
Barb Valley (dark LM)

Or:

Trow (terries)
Caer (light CTF)
Shuffle (dark FR)
Poison Holiday (dark FR)
Hver (light CTF)

Or:

Tamaerlin (dark KOTH)
Acts of Piety (FR)
Caer (dark terries)
Barb Valley (light CTF)
Hver (shadow FR)

I'd even throw in the odd game of assassin or stampede... but I personally think KOTM is a pretty shit gametype.

Anyways, pretty vanilla, yes, but tried tested and true. You are almost guaranteed a series of good games. There is good reason why most esports have a small competitive map pool (CS:GO for example). Let's be honest here for a sec... most of these new or obscure maps we've been playing in the past few tournaments are unknown to most. Captains aren't looking at the maps beforehard and half the players have to download them during the match because of the general lack of care these days. How can you expect to have good games on maps nobody has really played before? With the tournaments standards (like I've listed).. we've all played them, likely still have them in our plugins folder, are familiar with the various gametypes, know the terrain and how to use it, are comfortable with the unit sets, etc etc. I just feel like we would be more likely to see good, close games with this kind of map pool...

sharkdrivingabus

Post by sharkdrivingabus »

I'm in partial agreement with adren. Definitely agree about the shit map issue. I would like to see a slightly bigger map pool than he suggested, but nothing with weird hacked units or unfamiliar trades.

I completely agree about getting back to some of the other game types. I think that nearly every tourney game I've played since returning has been either FR, terries, or kotm. Assassin, stampede, or even that ball based FR game (is it called scavenger? It's been so long I barely remember) would be a nice change.

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

sharkdrivingabus wrote:I'm in partial agreement with adren. Definitely agree about the shit map issue. I would like to see a slightly bigger map pool than he suggested, but nothing with weird hacked units or unfamiliar trades.

I completely agree about getting back to some of the other game types. I think that nearly every tourney game I've played since returning has been either FR, terries, or kotm. Assassin, stampede, or even that ball based FR game (is it called scavenger? It's been so long I barely remember) would be a nice change.
There is a reason for that. Assassin & stampede are generally bad, but are playable on some maps. Ball games most of the time are awful; look no further than MWC 2013 to prove this where captures was played once every round. It was/is the absolute worst game type to be played on most maps; scavenger hunt would be captures on steroids. Sounds like a great idea until you have to actually play the games.

FR,Kotm,territories,CTF,Lmoth are easily the game types that work consistently on most maps.

KOTM or Territories with a lot of flags are the most enjoyable game types. I can't believe someone wouldn't like KOTM; it's the most interesting game type.

sharkdrivingabus

Post by sharkdrivingabus »

Ehh I haven't played a ball game probably since 2007 so who knows. Main issue is that if you rush and collect, it can become campy quick.

I enjoy kotm but think that there should be the auto-end when one team gets all the flags - like in terries. Minor quibble really. Overall it's good.

adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

KOTM is fine in a 7v7 or 8v8 but with anything less it's ridiculous. Have you tried playing KOTM 4v7? Not very fun.

Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Yeah that's true it's a hard game type to play under maned.

Cutard

Post by Cutard »

I favor more traditional maps, but maps will be decided via alternating picks by the two teams from a map/gametype pool, as if it were SD.

No hacked units,,,

adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

The Cu hath spoken.

DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

Indeed the Cu HATH spoken. Rules will be updated to reflect a hacked unit ban.

Lizard King

Post by Lizard King »

Will this be played on a Saturday or Sunday? I srsly doubt I can do any sunday games.

limp

Post by limp »

This list simply contains all of the best third party myth maps in existence, I did not intend for it to be an overall map list, otherwise it would contain Desert, Trow, and DE. Very few of them have "hacked" unit sets and obviously those meshes would not be chosen.

Return to “The Cu Classic”