GoS + Marius

General MWC related discussion stuff.
Asmodian

GoS + Marius

Post by Asmodian »

Both servers are up and both have 8-9 players on each one. Can we figure something out as to where we are going to play so myth 2 does not die? This looks like a terrible recipe for losing players.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: GoS + Marius

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I can't believe I find myself saying this, but I think until the kinks are worked out at GOS, we should play on Marius. GOS will be around in the future if anything further happens, plus I'm not a fan of 1.8 gameplay.
dac

Post by dac »

punk has said repeatedly he intended GoS to be a tournament site. Marius has more features, but omylrake.

should probably stay on Mariusnet where i can be on top of the room more often.

no seriously, mnet has more features and its the default one on myth so blah blah blah go there and then use GoS for tournaments as it was intended.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Meh, the current 1v1 QR setup heavily encourages me to idle on GoS to find people to play. When I'm just looking for random games I'll probably jump over (or be on both), but I've been having more fun with the 1v1 stuff than you typically get in a rabble game anyways.

So yeah, while it's definitely still intended as a tourney site, with "league-like" tourneys going on and MWC coming up, it definitely affects where I'm going to generally be.
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:I can't believe I find myself saying this, but I think until the kinks are worked out at GOS
So which "kinks" are you running into curiously? Or do you just mean missing features?

If you guys want to use GoS generally but aren't because of missing features, it'd be helpful to have a prioritized list. I know wank is probably up there, but I'm guessing buddies/orders aren't very important to anyone. If you would rather only use it for tourney stuff, that's fine too.

I know adren and some others were having an issue where they needed to swap rooms after quitting a game... not entirely sure what's going wrong there (I double-checked that GoS works the same way as the original Bungie metaserver here), but I have some tweaks in the works that might solve it for them. I'll probably do an update later tonight, so it'd be good to know if it fixes it for people.

That said, the reincarnated MariusNet seems to have some issues of its own. It's veeeerrryy slow (especially the web site) to the point that I'm getting "internal server errors" on some requests after hitting timeouts. Not sure what's up, but hopefully that gets addressed.

Not sure what you mean by "default" dac... the "default" is just whatever server you last logged in to.
dac

Post by dac »

havent played myth in a year from last mwc.

download 1.8 patch.

click multiplayer.

hi mariusnet!

unless you can get a blue bar on mnet saying there's another server and people might be there for tournament play.

edit: actually took me a minute to figure out how to hook into GoS on the servers button, it's not as simple as i thought. especially with that "other" tab - figured the server would be there when i first looked at it.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Oh sure, but that only applies to people who haven't played on GoS at all. Anyone participating in a tournament is going to know about it.

I'll also note that it doesn't really make sense to count folks who are just idling or playing only coop/mazz games. Those people aren't really potentially players for MP anyways.

But yeah ultimately I'll go wherever to play games. It's not exactly hard to switch back and forth, and you can even pretty easily be in both places at once (with two Myth instances). For tourneys I'll still argue there are good features here, but for everything else it really doesn't matter... it's a glorified chat room in either place :)
dac

Post by dac »

it's still new.

ive had a few people ask me about connecting on aim cuz they had issues finding it.

just sayin, people tend to disappear in between tournaments and mwc still hasnt started, my guess is people are on mnet cuz they know it and its familiar, but might move to GoS if they know more about it.

they support older versions of myth.

they support classic versions of screennames.

they have ranks, wanks, etc

they have that currently online/playing feature.

and GoS isnt easy to find the first time.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Just missing features is all. Ability to record games and times, ranking, a better login system perhaps for customizing names.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

dac wrote: ive had a few people ask me about connecting on aim cuz they had issues finding it.
Sure, although not sure what can be done there beyond word of mouth. Like I said, people participating in the forums here (i.e. anyone participating in tourneys) should know about it, and that's the primary target crowd anyways.
dac wrote: they support classic versions of screennames.
Sure although the guest support here gives you effectively the same thing. Outside of a couple people who are ornery about where their name is on the list (which isn't the same on mnet anyways), I haven't heard many complaints; I've heard more positive feedback than negative actually.
dac wrote: they have that currently online/playing feature.
Wouldn't that make people more likely to idle on GoS and just watch the players online via the web on mnet? Heh.
dac wrote: they have ranks
Everyone tells me the ranking system is worthless/meaningless over there though, hence trying to think up a better way to approach it for GoS...

The rest is, sure, although I guess I'm just wondering how important each of those is to people. Some are implementable (wanks, etc) while others are not really feasible.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Ability to record games and times
What do you mean by this?
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote: ranking
Again, everyone tells me mnet's ranking is horrible. Something similar could be done here, but people have overwhelmingly said it's bad.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

It IS bad, but its still something. I like recording stats period.

Record games, so you can view people's games list and confirm games were played. Also, Marius's Myth Done Quick feature has been broken for a long time. A new reincarnation of it would be great, though all our great records might be lost.
dac

Post by dac »

this isnt a "lets complain about gos" thread.

i think its great.

i just think people are retarded (see: anybody) and will continue to look for mnet cuz it's been there for years.

lots of people care about the ranking system and blah blah blah. yes its horrible no i dont care but it exists as a feature, however bad.

you cant make everybody happy nor should you cater to every whim, but asmo's right about it fracturing the community to be on two servers. i agree with sitting on both at least to help people migrate if they choose to do so. i started to copy my folder with plugs (16 gigs jesus) before i left for work today so i could do just that.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote: Record games, so you can view people's games list and confirm games were played.
Like this? http://games.gateofstorms.net/users/1083
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

The one advantage GoS has is an active and available metaserver admin. GoS can only improve. Marius, for all its strengths, will only stay the same. I think the choice, if you had to choose, is obvious.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Holy hell those must be mostly watched games, didn't realize how many games I've played lately.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Yeah dmg ratio of 0 is a good indication :) Is that what you meant, or is there some other missing feature? GoS does already have the full game list and stats of all games played on the metaserver on the http://games.gateofstorms.net site, as well as the tournaments.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Nope that's it.
Lizard King

Post by Lizard King »

Shut down the gate of storms server already. We don't need two servers; gate of storms was nearly meant as a pop up tent for players while the marius servers were being worked on. Leaving the GoS server up will only hurt the community and confuse new players. Not to mention mariusnet has dedicated servers that have been going for years; I'm not quite ready to jump to some random server started by some random guy whom we know little to nothing about including how long he plans to keep the server going.

Seriously, shut that shit down now.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Lizard King wrote:gate of storms was nearly meant as a pop up tent for players while the marius servers were being worked on.
Not true, you've got your story entirely mixed up here LK. If you actually care to know what's going on, come on and chat with me/us sometime. We have lots of neat plans for online Myth, and perhaps you have some good feedback and suggestions of your own.
Lizard King wrote:I'm not quite ready to jump to some random server started by some random guy whom we know little to nothing about including how long he plans to keep the server going.
What because playing on a server is such a gigantic commitment? I mean it takes what... ~5 seconds to switch servers?
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

There's a pretty obvious issue to having two servers competing with each other when you have a player base as small as Myth's that is only shrinking. Whatever features you're thinking of implementing, while great to hear, do not outweigh the fact that Mariusnet has reliably hosted Myth for over a decade.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

So play on Marius? What are you complaining about?
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

too long; lord noah: Gateofstorms has proven hosting record of 2 weeks? Mnet has proven hosting record of 10 years. 10 years better. People log on the server, they see even less people and less games than normal because of the split between servers, they lose interest, game dies faster.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Cutard wrote:Whatever features you're thinking of implementing
To be clear, some of them are already implemented... see film streaming and stats. These have already been put to good use in GKG's 1v1 tournament so far which is getting lots of good participation, so it's not as if warning bells are going off here.
Cutard wrote: ...do not outweigh the fact that Mariusnet has reliably hosted Myth for over a decade.
That's fine, but it's clearly on life support now, and I don't think that's a good plan going forward. Frankly I'd rather move the active part of the competitive community onto an actively developed platform than let the entire community slowly die of stagnation. If the afk folks and coop people stay on MariusNet, that's fine with me... even if people get a warm fuzzy feeling about the numbers from the two sets of people being added up in one room, let's not kid ourselves: there is almost no potentially for them to play in any competitive games.

Ultimately this has nothing to do with GoS itself though; if the community doesn't care about the features here, they'll just go back to MariusNet and that's fine. I reject the notion that having a choice between legacy and actively developed is a bad thing. If people choose differently, so be it. You're going to have to appeal to the people you want to affect, not to the server admins.
Cutard wrote: too long; lord noah: Gateofstorms has proven hosting record of 2 weeks? Mnet has proven hosting record of 10 years. 10 years better.
Irrelevant since users have nothing invested in either. If GoS were to go down tomorrow, you could just as happily play on Mnet, as we saw when Mnet went down. Metaserver's aren't complicated, locked-in choices or some nonsense.

I'll also note that a pile of stuff is broken on mnet right now, and I haven't seen PPE respond as to whether he's going to try and fix it or not.

Besides Cu it's not like you play the game anyways right? You just mad that it's slightly harder to idle in two lobbies at once? :P
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

What life support are you talking about, what evidence do you have that Mnet is any less stable now than it was for a decade? The game is dying because it is over 13 years old and irresponsible people like tirri have children, adding features isn't going to do anything to counteract that. You want to consolidate a community, especially one as small as Myth is now, and it only makes sense to choose the far more proven option for stability. Having two servers, especially at this point, creates variables that could only harm the game.

I completely buy the notion that PPE isn't being receptive to new features or whatever else, but that server's proven track record still trumps gateofstorms. If you're proposing measures that actually would possibly increase the population, like distribution of the game, then I think its a very reasonable risk.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Cutard wrote:What life support are you talking about
Life support as in there is zero work being done by PPE. There are major web site things broken with it at the moment and he has yet to even reply to e-mails/PMs. He may, but it's clear he is disengaged.
Cutard wrote:it only makes sense to choose the far more proven option for stability
Like I said, stability is completely irrelevant, even if it were an issue in either place.

Anyways, honestly I care more about the opinion of people actively playing in tournaments and who have even logged in to GoS before. But that said, you don't need me to do anything either way. If people want to go back to mnet, just do it.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

He just put the server back up, you would have a point if this were weeks/months after. How disengaged can he be if he actively worked to correct two significant issues that were not his fault? He actually still had some time before he even had to move the server but was proactive about the issue. So I have no idea what you're talking about.

It really isn't irrelevant, because how can anyone reasonably trust you to host the server long term if PPE chooses to take down mnet because everyone moved to gateofstorms? Your only counterpoint is that it's super duper easy for someone else to just bother hosting another, which is hardly comforting.
punkUser wrote:Anyways, honestly I care more about the opinion of people actively playing in tournaments and who have even logged in to GoS before.
Awesome, Lizard King shares the same opinion as me, want me to just have him post?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Cutard wrote:He just put the server back up, you would have a point if this were weeks/months after. How disengaged can he be if he actively worked to correct two significant issues that were not his fault?
Because the site he actually cares about is on the same host... he hasn't yet done anything Myth-specific.
Cutard wrote: It really isn't irrelevant, because how can anyone reasonably trust you to host the server long term if PPE chooses to take down mnet because everyone moved to gateofstorms?
PPE has no intention of taking it down to my knowledge even if zero people played on it. Like I said, it's on the same host as the site he cares about. Furthermore mnet supports other games... TFL, Marathon, etc. which GoS does not so even if every Myth 2 game moved to GoS he'd still leave it up, and that's great. Plus there will always be a contingent of coop'ers there.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

So basically you just supported the point that M.net is stable, thanks. Now about that whole fracturing the community thing?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Cutard wrote:So basically you just supported the point that M.net is stable, thanks.
Never said it wasn't... unwind the logic stack here ;) Anyways come on and chat sometime if you really care. Otherwise just lurk wherever you want (or hell, actually play!). I tire of treating a forum like a chat room.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

Never said you did. But please keep throwing around terms like life support and discrediting him putting the server back up in a timely manner because of other interests.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Cu, get your shit together. Your team is about to lose to America's worst sports city.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

They'll be about to lose after tomorrow, lets not kill the inmate on death row ahead of schedule.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Cutard wrote:too long; lord noah: Gateofstorms has proven hosting record of 2 weeks? Mnet has proven hosting record of 10 years. 10 years better. People log on the server, they see even less people and less games than normal because of the split between servers, they lose interest, game dies faster.
Sounds like you have beef with the fact PPE had issues with Marius -- not with GoS. Probably no one would be on GoS if Marius hadn't gone down. But it did. So Punk graciously allowed it to be used in the interim, despite its state of incompleteness. You have a problem with the fact that people are still using GoS? Blame the economy, for allowing PPE's now ex-hosting company to shut down; blame random acts of Nature, blame whoever dropped his raid array, or whatever happened. Don't blame Punk. Unlike PPE, he's active, he's available to chat for feedback, and he's actually doing work to improve Myth metaserver features. If you don't want to be involved, play on Marius, that's fine. But don't feel like you have the moral high ground to come in here and shame Punk for volunteering his time supporting a legacy game. All this hectoring makes you sound like a crotchety old codger, no offense.
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

So we have 1 completely inactive player and another mostly inactive player suddenly becoming active forum posters just to bash on the efforts of a very active player and very active developer who has built features that add real value to the myth community. punk has put more time into contributing to the game than all of us combined. particularly amusing is the irony that you are both so quick to suck grim's cock even when he does a shitty job attempting to TO mwc, yet will shit on the efforts of a myth developer making actually useful tournament features for mwc and all tournaments, which is infinitely more valuable than anything a TO has ever or could ever do. really quite hilarious.

ppe can't "fix" anything with mariusnet, the code is completely unmaintainable. I don't think he ever touched that code, or even knows the language it is written in. that stuff was built by marius and conner and hasn't been touched in years. if anything breaks, it will forever remain broken. the mnet website has been broken since it came up, who knows if that is ever getting fixed, and that was half the value of that server right there.

and yea, mariusnet will always be online since it is hosted on the same box as a real money making website. has nothing to do with GoS.

if anything marius should shut down, but really having both servers is ideal because they both have their advantages, at least until GoS has had the opportunity to stay up for a while and be developed a bit more. We can take the best of both worlds. switching servers is almost as easy as changing rooms.

right now there is still decent activity on the GoS server, rabble games being played, etc. That combined with my 1v1 tournament, mm's ffa league, possibly mwc, and any future tournaments to come, will continue to encourage people to stay on GoS. People will play wherever they want to play, right now it is looking like most people want to play on GoS. go do what you want, and let everyone else do what they want. it is a fact of myth life now, get used to it. Actually you don't even play, so why you even care is beyond any of us.
par73

Post by par73 »

I think its cool to use GoS for tournaments and Marius for ranking, there is no reason people should not know how to use the server feature on myth2 in 2013. Both are assets to this community.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

NewMutator wrote:
Cutard wrote:too long; lord noah: Gateofstorms has proven hosting record of 2 weeks? Mnet has proven hosting record of 10 years. 10 years better. People log on the server, they see even less people and less games than normal because of the split between servers, they lose interest, game dies faster.
Sounds like you have beef with the fact PPE had issues with Marius -- not with GoS. Probably no one would be on GoS if Marius hadn't gone down. But it did. So Punk graciously allowed it to be used in the interim, despite its state of incompleteness. You have a problem with the fact that people are still using GoS? Blame the economy, for allowing PPE's now ex-hosting company to shut down; blame random acts of Nature, blame whoever dropped his raid array, or whatever happened. Don't blame Punk. Unlike PPE, he's active, he's available to chat for feedback, and he's actually doing work to improve Myth metaserver features. If you don't want to be involved, play on Marius, that's fine. But don't feel like you have the moral high ground to come in here and shame Punk for volunteering his time supporting a legacy game. All this hectoring makes you sound like a crotchety old codger, no offense.

Yeah, because putting up the server wasn't opportunistic at all, and you two certainly haven't been advocating people stay on the graciously hosted emergency server by discrediting PPE at every chance you get. The issue is with GoS still being up despite M.net being back, and it fracturing the community, something which neither of you bothered to address.

Giant Killer General wrote:So we have 1 completely inactive player and another mostly inactive player suddenly becoming active forum posters just to bash on the efforts of a very active player and very active developer who has built features that add real value to the myth community.
I didn't bash anything they've done with putting the server up as an emergency replacement when M.net was down, nor developing/adding features, so congratulations on wasting your time typing that out. You kids seem to think bringing up activity is some wonderful counter argument, so go ahead and address asmo who it appears brought up the issue of splitting the community or dac with confusing people etc.

The fact of the matter is you want everyone on one server, and your two choices are something that has been reliably hosted for over a decade which everyone who has played myth past 2003 knows exists, vs something which was just set up and is difficult to find. When people see that barely anyone is online the few times they check how long do you think their interest in playing is going to keep up? You don't get "gate of storms" when you type Myth 2 online in google.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Cutard wrote: Yeah, because putting up the server wasn't opportunistic at all
The server had been up for several months before Mnet went down, and I ran it on and off from my local PC for a year or so before that. Ask any of the 1.8 testers... or ask PPE about the >year old discussion we had about adding features to Mnet where I offered to even do it all for him, but he basically said he wasn't going to allow any changes at this point (i.e. "life support"), thus he was fine with me continuing development of the prototype I had build as a proof of concept (i.e. that became GoS).

It has nothing to do with Mnet going down. In fact it's just fortunate it happened to exist, because I sure as hell couldn't have written a whole metaserver from scratch in the few days notice we had on Mnet...
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

Then why are you so adamantly advocating against m.net now?

Btw, stillllll not addressing the split community issue.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Cutard wrote:Then why are you so adamantly advocating against m.net now?
I'm not! I'm rejecting your argument that there's any reason why we can't have both up. Mnet is fine, but I don't accept that we'll never have any more features in Myth. Hence I'm forced to roll my own.
Cutard wrote: Also, I thought putting up a new server was easy?
It is if you just want to run a Bungie or Mnet instance. Just download the Mnet EXE and voila. Developing one from scratch and adding new features is slightly harder ;)
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

punkUser wrote:
Cutard wrote:Then why are you so adamantly advocating against m.net now?
I'm not!
punkUser wrote:That's fine, but it's clearly on life support now, and I don't think that's a good plan going forward. Frankly I'd rather move the active part of the competitive community onto an actively developed platform than let the entire community slowly die of stagnation

That said, the reincarnated MariusNet seems to have some issues of its own. It's veeeerrryy slow (especially the web site) to the point that I'm getting "internal server errors" on some requests after hitting timeouts. Not sure what's up, but hopefully that gets addressed.

I'll also note that a pile of stuff is broken on mnet right now, and I haven't seen PPE respond as to whether he's going to try and fix it or not.
Yeah, not at all.
Giant Killer General

as punk already addressed, you have the incorrect assumption that GoS was put up in an "emergency", when in fact it was online and being developed several months prior to this. It is pretty naive to think that anyone could have put up a metaserver with these kinds of features within that weeks notice. it is pure coincidence that mnet went down within that time frame, which quite frankly was a godsend for the entire community, whether some people realize it or not.

great, in the unlikely chance some player from 10 years ago logs on, they can find mariusnet, let them play there. after talking with people they will know about the project magma site which has all the updates and GoS that comes with it. really the very simple solution to all of this is to have PPE add a link or some exposure to get people to come to GoS. that solves your problem right there. unfortunately i think PPE is too much of a doucher to do that.

there is no more of an issue of the community being split between 2 different servers as there is an issue of it being split by 2 different rooms, we've already addressed it many times you just choose not to listen.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

It wasn't public, hence it was put "up" regardless of the beta state it was in when M.net went down, hence opportunistic. I feel pretty confident in saying opportunistic after witnessing the way some people are reacting.

Don't be literal, the time frame is 10 years, every player within that time knows what mariusnet is and if they don't they search "Myth 2 online" in google and guess what they get? The issues are it needs to be apparent which the favored server is and pretty much everyone needs to be on it otherwise you risk people seeing barely anyone being online and getting disinterested. The difference between there being two servers vs two rooms is that everyone knows both rooms exist.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Cutard wrote:
NewMutator wrote:

Yeah, because putting up the server wasn't opportunistic at all, and you two certainly haven't been advocating people stay on the graciously hosted emergency server by discrediting PPE at every chance you get. The issue is with GoS still being up despite M.net being back, and it fracturing the community, something which neither of you bothered to address.

Giant Killer General wrote:So we have 1 completely inactive player and another mostly inactive player suddenly becoming active forum posters just to bash on the efforts of a very active player and very active developer who has built features that add real value to the myth community.
I didn't bash anything they've done with putting the server up as an emergency replacement when M.net was down, nor developing/adding features, so congratulations on wasting your time typing that out. You kids seem to think bringing up activity is some wonderful counter argument, so go ahead and address asmo who it appears brought up the issue of splitting the community or dac with confusing people etc.

The fact of the matter is you want everyone on one server, and your two choices are something that has been reliably hosted for over a decade which everyone who has played myth past 2003 knows exists, vs something which was just set up and is difficult to find. When people see that barely anyone is online the few times they check how long do you think their interest in playing is going to keep up? You don't get "gate of storms" when you type Myth 2 online in google.
Cu, you totally don't even know what you stepped in, bro.

Punk has had GoS running in the wings for awhile, just not publicly. The timing might seem opportunistic to you but it was actually just fortuitous that he had been working on it, otherwise it's very likely the absence of Marius would have been a lot worse for Myth multiplayer than any claims of a "split" community.

For the record, I don't think anyone here has discredited PPE. What he's done for Myth is laudable. But he has zero interest in being involved beyond the occasional RoOF gaming night, and has communicated such to PunkUser, who had originally approached him with his ideas. You are assuming too much when you assume the worst.

I've been very explicit why I advocate GoS and that's because of the ongoing support provided by Punk and the continual improvement and new features he's interested in working on. There's literally no other reason, but if you think we have some kind of vendetta with PPE then that's your prerogative.

If the onus is on us to address the split community thing then how about this: Come play on GoS.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

No bro, I don't think you have any nerd vendetta with PPE, I think you're lambasting m.net/PPE so everyone here will stay on the new and improved server with all sorts of neato features instead of the server on life support.
Giant Killer General

opportunistic? lol. yes he predicted it would go down 3 months ahead of time. maybe its a conspiracy where punk caused ppe's hosting company to go out of business right according to plan.

the server was up PUBLICLY for quite a few weeks before mnet down. Whenever 1.8 public beta was released, that was when punk's GoS server was publicly available since GoS automatically comes with 1.8. punk had been trying to get people to try some games on there in the weeks before mnet going down to test his server, in which a few games were played. but maybe 1.8's release was also part of the conspiracy.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Lambasting? Hardly. Everyone is welcome to play on Mariusnet if they want to, and I think you'd be hard pressed to find any instance where I denigrate PPE or his server. In fact, quite the opposite. I applaud PPE for supporting the community all these years. If he wanted to he could strike a deal with Punk to improve the metaserver code. My understanding is that he's not interested in letting anyone have that access, which pretty much necessitates GoS if you want to implement any kind of modern feature support. If he has been mischaracterized I would expect him to say as much.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

Giant Killer General wrote:opportunistic? lol. yes he predicted it would go down 3 months ahead of time. maybe its a conspiracy where punk caused ppe's hosting company to go out of business right according to plan..
Maybe he did, kilgrath already posted in this thread and you know how he can sniff out a conspiracy.

M.net went down, the GoS sever was there and you got everyone to join it and now you're doing whatever you can to keep people on it despite valid points being brought up that this would actually hurt the community. Opportunistic.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

As GKG said, the evidence that you can look up in this very forum archives will indicate to you that your timing is off. Not sure much else can be said there, but your sequence of events doesn't make sense.

Regarding "doing everything I can to keep people here" - ha. You underestimate my abilities if you think I've even applied any effort to that end ;)

Anyways, this conversation has clearly run its course. If you think it's harmful to have two serves up, go and whine to PPE, because I'm not going to shut down a server that has features that people want to use for upcoming tournaments... I don't think PPE would want that either so stop fabricating issues where none exist. If people play on GoS it's because they want to - no one is forcing them to. If you want to make a real difference, get Mnet to run an instance of this server code instead of the MariusNet code. Win/win for everyone.

Frankly though I severely doubt anyone but me is willing to do any actual work here beyond just bitching in forums.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Actually the points about how GoS is "hurting" the community haven't been substantiated. You seem to care a lot for someone who has said in this very thread that Myth is a dying game.
Giant Killer General

no one is holding a gun to anyone's head here. everyone can play wherever they want to play. what part of the freedom of choice do you not understand?

if we were doing everything we could to keep people off of marius then we would start trolling threads to have marius taken down (oh wait...). instead, we are all just saying keep both servers and let people choose for themselves.

i really don't care to play with the co-opers playing on marius, they keep to themselves anyway. Whether or not the community wants to be split in that regard, it will decide for itself as whole. there is nothing lost there though for me.

you are trying to make decisions for the community which are not yours to make. the rest of us are saying let the community decides. It just so happens that your side is the minority. who is sounding more arrogant right now?