Lag/Freeze

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Professional Killer

Lag/Freeze

Post by Professional Killer »

Posted this on mnet and doing the same here since I know a few of you are skilled when it comes to the technical part of the game.

The last 4 months I have had very big difficulties with lag and freezings when playing myth. It gives me up to 1-3 sec of lag and it is back to normal for a while.

This happends more or less in every game I play now, and sometimes it only happends a couple times during a normal 7 min game but lately it has happend much more frequently during the games. I can play a 7 min gimble game and this can happend once or twice every minute, then it can work good again for a couple minuts before it starts again troubeling it up for me. I see no pattern in this either.

I also freeze up completly sometimes and have to force restart myth and sometime computer.
I get very disturbed when using artillery and trow when it comes to manouvering my units.
In lock fights i controll click near target enemy lock-->the game freezes/lag-->my lock gets killed because he wont listen to my comands. During the freeze i click like crazy to retreat the lock from moving forward but he keeps on walking even though the lagburst are over and walks right into enemy fire. It seems like after the the 1-3 sec freeze are over it takes another sec for him to listen to new commands.
My internet are supposed to be rather good and earlier I have close to never han any lag problems on any host ive played on until recently.

Do anyone have any slightest idea of what can be the issue or what I can do to try to fix this problem. As I said this happend a while back and it get worse even though it have worked perfect before.

I would apreciate any help regarding trying to help me sort this out,

Pk
enculator

Re: Lag/Freeze

Post by enculator »

I had the same issue, but it was like 10 years ago. Took me a while to find the problem, and it was cpu overheat who caused this, so uh, open computer, and clean the dust !
edit: try playing single player and see if you still have this freeze issue. Could be more a hardware failure than a network failure !
Professional Killer

Frustrating and fucking annoying to play and stumbles in my own feet like this is forcing me to.

Could be more a hardware failure than a network failure ![/quote]

This is what I also fear is the problem. I will try a couple single player games and I'll also try to install myth on another computer at home to make sure the connection isnt the problem.

Thx
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Does your whole machine freeze up or just Myth (run it in windowed mode and see)? Laptop/desktop/windows/mac?

If it's the whole machine I'd recommend running some temperature monitoring stuff while playing and see what the CPU/GPU temperatures are hitting. Myth isn't that demanding a game, but if you're on older hardware it could be an issue. If temperatures are getting high, let me know what FPS you're seeing in Myth as well.

Potentially worth running a memtest as well.
falcon

Post by falcon »

Visit speedtest.net and share the results?
Professional Killer

When I played offline single campain it was more or less the same. My biggest concern now is that I bought my laptop about 1 year ago and it seems that there already is a problem with it. Fan starts more often then before also when I think about it might have something to do with it.
Anyways I installed myth on my old laptop and it seems to work just fine on that one.
limp

Post by limp »

When the fan starts on high all the time when you're only running like, chrome and myth on a new computer, there is a pretty good chance you have a problem with your logic board.

Hey, my computer does it too!
wwo

Post by wwo »

Dust. One year is the typical warranty. If it's out, or you don't care, take off the bottom panel and use some canned air.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

I suggest making a post on the Project Magma forums for additional troubleshooting, but the fact that it's so new strongly points to the fact that you're software drivers are out of date, especially the graphic card one.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Uhh, if it's a full system freeze I think wwo's suggestion of dust or similar is probably more likely.