Week 3 match up PREVIEWS

Hosted by The Committee
tirri

Week 3 match up PREVIEWS

Post by tirri »

Holy crap does this mwc keep delivering. Northern paladins vs team good guys was a hugely entertaining match in week 2 as was turtles vs kongs. It turns out my week 2 preview of teenagers vs konkongers was spot on. Now this highly acclaimed article series will tackle week 3.

week 3 matches, sunday august 26th.
tcl vs tm3
sdm vs bk
np vs lh
7l vs tgp

Week 3 maps:
ASRAIDH DEAS-GHNATH (DARK) - Flag Rally
TALLOW ABBEY (TROW) - Last Man on the Hill
TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD - Territories
PARTY ON THE OASIS (LIGHT) - Assassin
PEACE ON THE RAMPARTS - BUSHIDO FIREWORKS - King of the Map

well i thought i'd see what the maps are to determine if BCing, light skills or dark skills are favored but honestly i have no idea about those maps. I'm a huge lover of classic myth maps and these maps make me mad, MAD ENOUGH TO KILL?

At least 7th legion vs team good guys and The casket lottery vs teenage mutants look worthy of closer inspection. I'll randomly decide which I'll do first and see if I have time to cover the other one later on.

The casket lottery vs teenaged turtles

rosters at the time of writing are:
tcl: Limp, Ghengis, Akira, Thal, Kryptos, Captain, PK
turtles: GKG, Crun, HMP, myrk, dac, oly, gamer
Both teams look like they are juggling rosters a lot which makes this match both interesting and harder to predict.

Captaining / strategies

It was pretty surprising to see GKGs team only win the bc games last week but lose FRs and KOTMs. I hear the explanation was having 6 players v 7 but I don't know if I'll buy it. Honestly I have no idea what kind of captaining skills are needed on those unfamiliar maps but let's just say a slight edge to GKG. Limp has shown enough times that he is a competent captain, although it's hard to say which captains are actually good and which just look good BECAUSE RABICAN ISN'T AT THE TOP OF HIS FORM ANYMORE.

activity
This is just about captains adding and removing players at this point. Looks like Limp is doing that too so we shall assume an awesome 6v6 or even 7v7 again.

Smartness and tactics
These teams should be about even in this regard. Both have a few players known a little for their tunnelvision and I don't think either has an especially smart roster but still both are packing an ok punch in this regard.

power hitting and bc ability
the always insightful list comparisons comes back due to popular demand
GKG > Limp
Crun = Ghen (haven't really seen much of ghengis lately but I think this might be fair)
myrk=akira (i don't know if myrk is a fixed member of the team and i dont know if akira plays so bleh)

Well turns out this doesn't really work out. GKG is a captain who takes powerhitter units often, limp really doesn't. I'd say at this point GKGs team has 2 true powerhitters while TCL only has one, so a slight edge to turtles but I will assess this more in the role playing section. A captain can't always do powerhitter duties efficiently and TLCs role players are more than capable BCers. SO WE ARE TREADING ON MUDDY WATERS OK?? NOT EASY TO ASSESS BUT IM DOING MY BEST

role playing
tcl: Thal, Kryptos, Captain, PK
turtles: HMP, dac, oly, gamer

At Limp's teams current form, he undoubtedly has the best 4-7 players in the tournament. I'm not going to do a player v player comparison here because I don't really know which players to compare but in BCing power the casket lottery has a huge advantage here and probably in smarts/tactics too although a smaller one there.

Final prediction:
I wish I knew more about the maps because BCing ability and the importance of 1-2 great powerhitters vs a whole team full of good BCers plays a big role here. In some maps those 2 powerhitters are plenty but in some a whole team's BC power gives a huge advantage (say Barrens lmoth etc but I don't really know if any of week 3 maps are like that). My gut feeling says 3-2 for The Casket Lottery. GOOD LUCK TO BOTH TEAMS.

LL&L

Ghengis please tell Homer we all miss him. If only science had reached a point where we could turn 1 homer and 1 ghengis into 2 homers and 0 ghengisises.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: Week 3 match up PREVIEWS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Hey nerd who do I play? When does MWC start?
tirri

Post by tirri »

I'm on a roll so I'LL DO 2 OF THESE FUCKERS THIS WEEK

7th legion
vs
Team good guys

rosters at the time of writing are:
7th legion: Par, Adren, Chron, Zak, Pride of Elfoid, Shaister, Samuel
team good guys: Vaz, Phos, Drunken, Masterchief, Alfi, Spoon, Father Xmas, Argos, Ether

Looks like Par is removing and adding players now too like a TRUE CAPTAIN aiming for mwc victory, so we should expect a good attendance. Maybe a 1 or 2 player advantage to team good guys which will make things interesting. I haven't chcked the maps out yet so I don't know how playable they will be with for example 5 players. If they call for higher numbers, team good guys chances of winning increase.

Captaining / strategies
NP played against Team Good guys last week and I can't say I noticed any glaring holes in their strategies although I had no clue what to do on the maps. It's so annoying people are using voice com cause I have no idea what Vaz is telling his troops so his in-game reactions are a mystery. Par on the other hand is a solid IF UNSPECTACULAR captain. A moderate advantage to team par.

Activity
Most of the teams players have been seen playing at least some myth recently so I would say this is pretty even.

Smartness and tactics
Team Good guys might have some players who could surprise, like Phos or Mastermind. However the match against NP showed that even though their BC prowess might be around the same level as some other, maybe more inactive players, savvy team tournament veterans might still pull out victories against Good Guys in harder gametypes even if the flow of the game is pretty even. 7th legion is no slouch in this department although in my week 1 preview I gave an edge to NP. Now I'll give an edge to 7th legion but this will be one of the most interesting aspects of this match. All myth scholars will be waiting eagerly to get their hands on the films and study what exactly transpired.

power hitting and bc ability
This is where par's team shines bright with enough BC power to scare any team in the tournament. I gave 7th legion the BC advantage against NP so I have to give them an even bigger advtange here. I would think Vaz, Drunken and Masterchief are doing the BCing for team good guys which isn't bad at all and masterchief was a really competent player at some point but I don't really know how good he is right now.

role playing
notable 7th legion role players: Pride of elfoid, Zak
team good guys: Phos, Ether , Spoon, Alfi, Father Xmas, Argos

team good guys has a solid cast of players who have all been pretty active mythers at one point or another so none of them can be labeled as newbs. I don't know how smart they are but there is strength in numbers. Let's call role playing a wash here but that's mostly because 7th legion has more players I label as power hitters.

Final prediction
I'm really hoping for a 3-2 upset victory for Team Good Guys but sadly the real prediction is 3-2 for 7th legion. The smartness of shaister and bc power of adren is too much for team good guys to overcome.

LL&L

One important aspect to consider is how was Shaister's psyche affected when the tournament began with a painfull loss to his arch nemesis, me. Has he overcome the defeat or are there lingering after effects?
Homer

Post by Homer »

Been stratting with Limp and we feel as if we can't lose. Not based on skill but just a general overarching feeling of misplaced confidence in ourselves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePlb7b2nQm4