Port forwarding woes

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
Yankee

Port forwarding woes

Post by Yankee »

Can anyone see why these settings are failing to allow me to host? I can host with the same settings on an Apple router.
myth port fwd setting.png
par73

Re: Port forwarding woes

Post by par73 »

this is similar to an issue i had with hosting recently.

when you connect to an ip with a new device it changes the last digits of the ip address, (i think)
right now you are opening the port for .99.

go to ipconfig in command prompt and i imagine your address is not at .99, you need to make sure the your IP matches the port you are opening.
Yankee

Post by Yankee »

Nope, the computer IP is set to the same address as the forwarded port. Its a Mac and it doesn't arbitrarily change its IP after it's set.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Yankee wrote:Its a Mac and it doesn't arbitrarily change its IP after it's set.
IP assignment has to do with the router (DHCP) usually, nothing to do with the computer whether Mac or otherwise. If you are switching router, it's highly likely the IP is changing as well unless you've set it statically on the client.
Yankee

Post by Yankee »

The computer only accepts IP addresses from the router when the comp is set to DHCP, not something that would work for hosting Myth as only a single IP can be set for forwarding in any consumer router I've ever encountered. The Mac in question is set to a fixed IP that matches that IP set in the router for Myth forwarding. This all works fine at home with the Apple router I have at home, just doesn't work on the router I posted the screenshot of.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Yankee wrote:The computer only accepts IP addresses from the router when the comp is set to DHCP, not something that would work for hosting Myth as only a single IP can be set for forwarding in any consumer router I've ever encountered.
Most modern consumer routers allow you to "reserve" IPs for a given MAC address to ensure that a given client continues to get the same IP address, even with DHCP enabled. This is usually the best solution if possible.
Yankee wrote: The Mac in question is set to a fixed IP that matches that IP set in the router for Myth forwarding. This all works fine at home with the Apple router I have at home, just doesn't work on the router I posted the screenshot of.
There could be a number of things going wrong on both the router or the client or even upstream. Are you testing it "at home" or on a different internet connection? It's always possible that there's a "double NAT" scenario these days with ISP-provided "modems" secretly acting as their own NAT router layers.