Results/Standings - Draft Tournament (UPDATED)

Asmodian

Results/Standings - Draft Tournament (UPDATED)

Post by Asmodian »

I don't have access to add films to the stats page yet, so this is all I can do for now.

Standings
1. Limp 33 points
2. Asmo 29 points
3. Cruniac 22 points
4. Paris 4 point

Week 1

Cruniac & co tie Asmo & co 2-1-2

http://gateofstorms.net/games/105579
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105583
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105586
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105589
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105592

Limpeta over Paris 4-1-0
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105591
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105594
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105597
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105598
http://gateofstorms.net/games/105599

Week 2

Limpeta ties Asmo 2-2-1
Cruniac over Tirrisarus 4-1

Week 3

Asmo over Tirrisarus 5-0
Limpeta over Cruniac 4-1
NewMutator

Re: Results/Standings - Draft Tournament

Post by NewMutator »

Man these look like good games
tirri

Post by tirri »

WHAT HAPPENED, even cu predicted we would be the juggernauts of this tournament.
Will our team gel together as the tournament goes on like Gkg's tournament teams? I hope so, I truly hope so. OUR TEAM SPIRIT WAS SECOND TO NONE YESTERDAY
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Unfortunate result for tirri & co. I just watched the replays and tirri's team should have won games 1,2 & 5. Them losing games 1 and 2 were just shockers after the type of leads they had. It was interesting to see that Paris out traded the opposing team every game, but game 5 where both trades were equal.
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

Official rankings after Round 1:

#4) Crun

Of the 4 teams, Crun is the least capable captain, while also somehow having the weakest heavy hitters as well. Having to captain shouldn't hinder Crun's play too much because he is a relatively hands-off captain, but if his team starts making glaring errors nobody will be there to step in and prevent them either. Unfortunately crun has a bunch of other problems with his roster as well that are outside his control. Primarily the fact that his team is at the biggest risk for failure of attendance. Thal, browning, and kilg all didn't show up. Adren and captain will be missing one or both matches the next 2 weeks. Shadow lags out in the middle of games half the time. Killer will not show, and vihaan is useless anyway as well.

#3) Asmo

Though Crun's team pulled off the tie in the match against asmo's team, asmo's team should have handily won the last game on hver. Instead, argos and slate both walk off their flags despite having the flag lead with 1 minute remaining. Vieforpower of all people, is the one that makes the key play with a wide melee flank to take argo's and slate's unattended flags at just the right moment at the end of the game. Interestingly, vieforpower was an observer for the match but took over shadow's units after he lagged out.

Argos and slate not only walked off their flags, but didn't even leave 1 melee as flag defense on FR with less than a minute remaining. This demonstrates a huge lack of understanding for 2t play and attentiveness of gametype. They are supposed to be Asmo's core roleplayers, so this shows a glaring weakness in this team. While Asmo knows how to (somewhat) hide the liabilities of his players, he simply has too many liabilities on this team to overcome them. They will be stronger in straight bc-fights, but will be outplayed on the map/gametypes that require more intelligent adjustments.

Gekko has a couple weak games at the end of the match as well which does not bode well for Asmo. Asmo will also be missing Gekko next week, a key match against limp's team.

#2) Par
Despite the 0-4-1 loss to Limp's team, they were all close games, and par's team has room for improvement still. Par needs to just give himself flanks, put Ratking in charge of middle, and be more hands-off as a captain. Trusting his team's play more will help him focus more on the BC fights. This team also has some challenges in making intelligent 2t plays, but not as much as Asmo's team.

#1) Limp
Somehow dantski and arz, 2 out of the top 3 players in the tournament, wound up on the same team. They also have a capable captain in limp which allows those 2 to focus on BC. Lastly, they ALSO somehow have the best depth in the rest of their roster, their only glaringly bad weak link being TSG (seriously he should just not show up, he is sooooo bad).

Asmo probably should have consulted with someone before forming these team rosters, because the difference between limp's team and crun's team is pretty huge. The next 2 weeks will mostly be about Par and asmo's team point-fighting for a spot in the finals at this point. Unfortunately it is possible that Paris' team wins their next 2 matches, but still misses out on a spot in the finals, which would be a bullshit scenario. The scoring should be based on match wins first, and use number of game wins only as a tie-breaker. Anyways, as long as attendance holds up, these rankings should be accurate.

I may also do a shoutcast of the finals for this tournament if it turns out good. People can look forward to me either praising their good plays, and making fun of their bad ones.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

I didn't hand pick the rosters in reality. I ranked the players and then snaked drafted them not knowing who would end up where to avoid myself from being tempted to put players on rosters that I would like to see. I had Dantski ranked higher than me orginally which would have put Dantski on the team I am currently on and myself on Limp's team, but I mistakenly listened to the advice of Limp who said I was overrating dantski so I switched him and I.

The only change to the top 10 I could see that would probably make more sense would have been to swap Dantski's and Gekko's position, but that would put me on Dantski's team requiring me to play at 2pm EST every week, which is bad for me so I elected not to do so. So yes the teams are slightly favored toward Limp's team, but it does not matter. 'smo TrowBelt dian will prevail.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Damn these look like some good games! Gonna have to give them a watch...
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

My stats are misleading, I made lots of mistakes and played lazily. Games 3 and 4 were good examples where I was in a reasonable position but didn't really control my units properly and spent more time watching them. Also in Game 1 I probably coulda killed KK's morts faster but I was pretty confident I'd fuck up having not played for a year.

Chron MVP of week 1
switch

Post by switch »

GKG, I just want to point out that it's ridiculous to dismiss TSG as the weakest link in team Limp, when clearly that spot should go to me. The DMG/Kill ratios seem to prove my point.
Giant Killer General

Everyone brings up statistics way too much. Just watch the films. TSG is the only player that is indistinguishable from either coop AI or an afk player. I never once looked at the stats before writing that, because I had watched the films.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Dantski wrote:My stats are misleading, I made lots of mistakes and played lazily. Games 3 and 4 were good examples where I was in a reasonable position but didn't really control my units properly and spent more time watching them. Also in Game 1 I probably coulda killed KK's morts faster but I was pretty confident I'd fuck up having not played for a year.

Chron MVP of week 1
Chron was the MVP week one for sure the 3 games he was there. Unfortunately he had to leave early.
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

Well I got pissed at TSG in that Mjila game where he was supposed to be guarding my fetch with melee and basically sat afk while I got rushed.
switch

Post by switch »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-mbbHTEdk[/youtube]

TSG may have been afk, probably filming this though.
argos

Post by argos »

myth aint no joke guys, its LIFE OR DEATH
switch

Post by switch »

Not hearing a lot about your excuse for the flag walk off, argos.
Giant Killer General

I moved my article about the relevance of statistics in myth to its own thread here:

http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=2903

Please post replies to that post there instead, thanks.
Giant Killer General

Of course, adren is just mad because he is one of worst offenders of obsessing over damage ratios, which is why he has always been, and always will continue to be a 2nd class team player. It's too bad adren, that article was meant exactly for people like you.
argos

Post by argos »

switch wrote:Not hearing a lot about your excuse for the flag walk off, argos.
I have no excuse, to be honest I didn't even know it happened. My own fault, but not something I'll obsess over. It's just a game, bros
wwo

Post by wwo »

Dude, not only did you sign up for this tourney, you took time out of your life to show up and play. This has been proven by people, who claim they don't care that much, to show that you care a lot! So don't come here with that "just a game, bro" attitude.
argos

Post by argos »

Thats a good point wwo. I would say that i greatly enjoy this game, enough to sign up for a draft tournament. But im not going to commit seppuku over leaving a flag due to my own lapse. So i can enjoy something and attempt to improve myself without obsessing over mistakes. Also, it really was pretty easy to sign up and play for this thing on my day off. The consequence for me is that I get awesome myth games on a sunday morning while drinking coffee. Sounds like a damn good time to me. The hard work is being done by people like Asmo who are organizing all of this
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

call me a shitty team player all you want, but i'm sure most people that actually team with me would disagree. just because you say it is so, does not make it so. you have played on a team with me ONCE... in 2009. 6 years ago.
Giant Killer General

I didn't call you shitty, just 2nd class.

I have teamed with you in about 4 tournaments, most recently as 2 years ago. Tws09, mwc09, nml10, and a draft tournament around 2013. Your memory is just horrible.

Not that anyone has to have teamed with a player to be able to watch films and see the flaws in any particular player's ability.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I hope to Odin you didn't need me to add /s. But I appreciate your sincerity.
par73

Post by par73 »

wwo wrote:Dude, not only did you sign up for this tourney, you took time out of your life to show up and play. This has been proven by people, who claim they don't care that much, to show that you care a lot! So don't come here with that "just a game, bro" attitude.
wwo didn't show for a single match during mwc because he cares too much to show he does not care, it's just a game bro. chill
Two Smoking Guns

Post by Two Smoking Guns »

Giant Killer General wrote:Everyone brings up statistics way too much. Just watch the films. TSG is the only player that is indistinguishable from either coop AI or an afk player. I never once looked at the stats before writing that, because I had watched the films.
Nerd
tirri

Post by tirri »

Only 1 day until another magnificent edition of asmo's draft tournament. I really hope some tourney will be hosted after this one too because the atmosphere in myth is just great right now.

it's pretty clear that team parri is a huge favourite against crun's team that really has no redeeming factors and after this week i'm pretty sure i'll cement my place in the mvp race.

i think team darzenic will beat that other team and the finals whill be a showdown between team parri and team darzenic with my team being the clear favourite.

MAY THE BEST TEAM WIN AND LONG LIVE MYTH LL&L EVERYONE
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

1 more day to glory
1 more day to glory
1 more day to glory
1 more day to glory
1 more day to glory
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

gonna shit down team 2's collective throats tomorrow. you heard it here first.
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

adrenaline wrote:gonna shit down team 2's collective throats tomorrow. you heard it here first.
i have resigned from being soulless suicider.
this will be a good match
par73

Post by par73 »

team 2 gonna show you all what it's like to play with adrenaline in 2005 tomorrow
you heard it here first
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

what does that even mean? lol
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

adrenaline wrote:what does that even mean? lol
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

pogue dipped into his personal collection for that one
Giant Killer General

Week 2 Official Rankings:

#4) Paris
This week paris takes his team from a highly contested #2 spot last week to now dead last after losing 1-4 (and nearly 0-5) to crun's team. Paris shits the bed for his entire team by doing "all rush mid" or other horrible strategies every single game, while zak also trolls his entire team by being more concerned about how to suicide well and detach his units to his teammates right before they die. It is a true shame, considering how well this team played last week.

#3) Crun
Unfortunately for crun, despite his 4-1 win, it was mostly paris' team beating themselves, and he is going to be missing both captain and adren next week (Gj asmo putting them together). He will be facing against limp's team as well, the strongest team in the tournament, and it looks like limp might actually show this time.

#2) Asmo
Asmo pulls off a tie against limp's team but that was with limp missing 4 out of the 5 games. So again, arz's team mostly beats themselves as arz was unprepared and hasn't captained in a long time (arz's trades were good, but strats and orders were otherwise kinda bad). Asmo demonstrates why he is a top captain in the game though, handily out-capping arz.

#1) Limp
Though limp's team only ties against asmo's team, they were missing their key player in limp. Arz's capping just isn't good enough, showing the impact limp's absence has. Not to put all the blame on arz though, his teammates didn't do so hot either. BOC perhaps singlehandedly costs limp/arz's team in game 3 by losing his afk mort and then being given a lock that basically does nothing the rest of game, allowing asmo's team to cave in the east flank with pressure.

Overall the matches this week were considerably worse than last week, majorly impacted by a decline in attendance. Limp's team is basically guaranteed a spot in the finals at this point, and the battle between asmo and par's team for who will get into the finals is also over. Technically there is a mathematical chance that crun's team to still make the finals but considering how his team will be weaker next week, and it is likely limp's team will be stronger than they were this week, it is super unlikely. Asmo also has a strong chance of beating par's team 4-1 or 5-0, or getting the forfeit as it is looking highly likely that par's team doesn't even show up at this point as they are all thoroughly demoralized.

Finals should be Limp vs Asmo, and it looks like it at least has the potential to be a good match if both rosters show strong. Limp just has 2 major liabilities in TSG and BOC, 2 basically worthless players that would help their team better by not even showing up. Any units given to them are a complete waste. Finals will most likely be decided by who has the stronger showing, just mere attendance is having a massive impact on deciding matches before they are even played, the grim reality of myth in 2015 as we all know.
Two Smoking Guns

Post by Two Smoking Guns »

Giant Killer General wrote:Week 2 Official Rankings:

[

Finals should be Limp vs Asmo, and it looks like it at least has the potential to be a good match if both rosters show strong. Limp just has 2 major liabilities in TSG and BOC, 2 basically worthless players that would help their team better by not even showing up. Any units given to them are a complete waste. Finals will most likely be decided by who has the stronger showing, just mere attendance is having a massive impact on deciding matches before they are even played, the grim reality of myth in 2015 as we all know.
Pathetic nerd, thanks for giving me a reason to show up again.
limp

Post by limp »

can team paris still make the finals if we 5-0 crun and paris goes 5-0 over asmo? i have it as crun and paris being tied at 19 in that event
par73

Post by par73 »

no because the current format doesn't support all 4 teams playing* in week 4

edit : *for the finals
Giant Killer General

Two Smoking Guns wrote: Pathetic nerd, thanks for giving me a reason to show up again.
No problem, doesn't matter to me if you show or not as obviously I am not playing in the tournament. Limp probably needs a handicap anyway. I don't know why you get so upset if you don't care about the game anyway. Its not a personal attack against you, you are just terrible at the game. You are being rather sensitive about it. If you don't like it, then get better at the game, that's all there is to it.

I have also just been informed that BOC is not on limp's team, he was just a horrible sub that for some reason they let play, so that's 1 less liability for limp at least. Probably another reason why arz's team didn't do so well either.

No par's team is mathematically eliminated already. Crun is definitely ahead of par's team in points, they have 6 wins and 1 tie, while par's team has only 1 win and 1 tie. So even with a perfect 5-0 for both matches (which would be incredibly unlikely), crun and par would still be tied in score, and the tie breaker would have to go either by match record or by who won the match between those 2 teams, and either way crun's team wins that tie breaker.
switch

Post by switch »

Cruniac and Paris teams complained too much and Asmodian typed an essay each game.
LSO told Vihaan off and ZAK lagged.

GKG clearly drilled the "play slow for bc" lingo into his sub captains. It really shows which players and captains went through the GKG academy with both Cruniac and Asmodian taking trow while captaining, and assigning sub-team captains.

I don't know what GKG is talking about with the Paris win over team Cruniac, game one. Paris and Tirri played correctly, when they noticed the zerk flag D on 6 they effectively rushed it and won the game, actually pretty smooth.
Things fell apart after that, however, and Cruniac did captain effectively considering the less experienced tournament players on his team and the powerhouse lineup opposing him. Adrenaline and Captain continued to play well, despite expectations that they would not appear much this tournament. An impressive display, although team Paris basically threw it on game 3 with Paris trading for 99% melee and Tirri rushing in what was literally a Clash in the Cloudspine LMOTH strat- which couldn't have been more different from the very careful back and forth game team Asmo played against team Limp that map.

Sam's controversial order and Tirri's suicide rush on Game 3.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1h4e8llcfQQ[/youtube]
Ratking

Post by Ratking »

I'm going to jump in and cap the final week if thats Ok with paris and tirri.
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

Giant Killer General wrote:I have also just been informed that BOC is not on limp's team, he was just a horrible sub that for some reason they let play, so that's 1 less liability for limp at least.
Oh he's not on the team...thank christ. One useless afk guy is bad enough
Giant Killer General

It is just too bad you didn't decide to step up as captain earlier rat before your team was eliminated from the finals.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I've actually been impressed with Crun's captaining so far. Wasn't sure what to expect... but he is doing a good job.
switch

Post by switch »

Absolutely agree, Adrenaline. Cruniac really demonstrated why he's not only a clutch roleplayer but also a top-rate captain, this round, able to devise strats, execute them, assign duties and effectively put the game in his favour with strategic thinking. No question there.

One other thing though, and I noticed this not only in the Asmo Draft Tournament but also in the 1v1 and FFA games played afterwards: Observers really should not be talking. Maybe there's a gab here and there during PT, but otherwise, please keep silent. I'm guilty of this myself. I think East Wind is a top rate observer: Please learn from East Wind. I'd prefer it if the host, if not playing, could set up a neutral host. This not only allows other observers to team and enjoy the true benefits of an observer host, but it also guarantees that observers won't talk shit during the game. Honestly, this round, all the observers (and there were a lot of them) were lucky they weren't booted, including, especially, Sam, and GKG (who, to be fair, was at least respectfully quiet during the games I played, but otherwise was very disrupting), also considering his penchant for booting observers on his own host.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

switch wrote:Cruniac really demonstrated why he's not only a clutch roleplayer but also a top-rate captain
Completely disagree. I do think Cruniac is doing well as a first-time tournament captain though. The thing that I would probably givet him most credit for is his distributions. The distributions in themselves have put his team in good positions to win games.

Top Tier Captains: GKG, Asmodian, Ska, Limp, Ratking [for the record this isn't a list of what I actually consider the top tier captains, but rather a list of names that even have a small argument for being top tier.

Potential to be top tier: Eastwind, Arzenic
Giant Killer General

Re: Results/Standings - Draft Tournament (UPDATED)

Uhhh, you guys really have no idea what you are looking at in how to evaluate a captain. Crun is getting the job done, I'm not saying he is doing terrible. At least he isn't shitting the bed like paris. But a top-rate captain? God no. He isn't on the same level as limp or asmo, that's all I am saying. His bad trades just haven't been exposed yet (12 souls on DE kotm). You guys are mostly basing that off of the fluke match he got against paris with that team imploding. That match said a lot more about paris than it does about crun. See how his team does next week against limp's team.
adrenaline

Re: Results/Standings - Draft Tournament (UPDATED)

Post by adrenaline »

I never used the words "top rate". His trades and distribution have been good, with perhaps one or two questionable games... but overall he gives his players roles they can handle. He gives clear orders at the beginning of the game, throughout the game, and often redistributes units as needed during the action. Either way, he is doing well enough to win games. I'm sure if this was a big tournament that anyone actually gave a fuck about, he'd probably try harder like some of the other tryhards and be just as good at captaining as your so-called "elite tier". That's pretty much all good captaining requires... effort. The time/care to look over maps, consult with players, learn your teammates abilities and weaknesses, etc etc. Sure it takes a certain level of intelligence, as well... not saying just anyone can do it. Most people don't have the time in their lives or enough care to focus that much attention on an obsolete video game. Let's look at some examples:

GKG - Between writing multi-page articles, long-winded replies, analyzing games he took no part in, and playing Mazz... it is clear that he has absolutely no social life, is and always will be single. Thus, he can devote 100% of his time to becoming a great captain.

Asmo - Mormon, so clearly does not party. Having never gotten into drugs and alcohol, he likely still has all his braincells. Probably has a bit more of a social life than GKG, but still has the time to run myth tournaments and focus on his main priority - captaining a myth team.

Ratking - I really know nothing about his social life... he comes and goes more often the the aforementioned players, so I think he has more of a social life than they do. This would explain why he isn't quite as good at captaining as they are.

Limp - Actually has an active social life, so I have no idea why he is a decent captain. I guess he is an anomaly.