FLU VACCINE

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.

Do you get a Flu Vaccine?

You may select 1 option

View results

BIG KROK V8 SS

FLU VACCINE

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Do you get a flu vaccine? I've never gotten one. I haven't had the flu since I was maybe 8 years old. I've had a few stomach viruses since, and one bout of bronchitis, but other than the common cold, absolutely nothing.

Never had strep throat.
Never had any infections.
No ear or eye problems.
Had jock itch once.
adrenaline

Re: FLU VACCINE

Post by adrenaline »

Hell no... vaccination is the dumbest shit ever. Want these crazy viruses and flu strains to stop spreading? Stop letting the Chinese reproduce.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

When there's a pandemic one day and you two are in a ten mile long line to get vaccinated, I'll be at home enjoying a glass of wine watching the death toll steadily increase thinking, "good thing I got that shot months ago."
HeadHunterKC

Post by HeadHunterKC »

So obvious that Pogue would be pro-vaccination. What a rube.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Are you guys just being anti flu vaccination or anti *all* vaccination? Because if it's the latter you're completely nuts...

As someone with children, I will also point out the hopefully-obvious fact that getting herd immunity via vaccinating a sufficient proportion of the population is unrelated to personal anecdotes of whether or not you "tend to get sick". But yeah, I'll leave that point in anticipation of someone posting something about mercury or autism and throwing this entire thread into hilariously ignorant lolz ;)
killerking

Post by killerking »

I voted no because I already got one real long ago, when I was a kid.
Anti-vaccination people are crazy.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Not against vaccinating children and elderly when there is a really bad flu going around, but I really don't think any adult with a healthy immune system needs to be vaccinated... other than maybe teachers who are around children all day. Also think this whole anti-bacterial movement is fucked... and I'm sure we'll find out just how fucked in future generations.
Yankee

Post by Yankee »

Aside from the fact that influenza is a "flavor of the month" kind of virus that needs the vaccine to be tailored to the latest brand and model that makes perfect sense. The most severe epidemic in history was the flu. Lasted from 1914 to 1919 and killed more people than WW I did. Yea, a few of the herd are gonna drop dead or be mildly to massively incommoded by any vaccine but the vast majority skate thru without problems. I'll make sure to save a few body bags for the conspiracy nuts on the board. You can pick your's out by the tin foil hats that go with 'em.

killerking wrote:I voted no because I already got one real long ago, when I was a kid.
Anti-vaccination people are crazy.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Come to think of it, I did get the swine flu vaccine back in 2009. No side effects from it.

I am only anti-seasonal flu vaccines. Other vaccines from childbirth are OK.
vigor

Post by vigor »

"The adjuvanted pandemic swine flu vaccine caused narcolepsy in some children, a British study affirmed, although the mechanism still isn't certain.

Vaccination was associated with a 14- to 16-fold increase in likelihood of developing the chronic sleep disorder, Elizabeth Miller, MBBS, of the Health Protection Agency in London, and colleagues reported online in BMJ."

http://www.medpagetoday.com/InfectiousD ... eFlu/37575
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

adrenaline wrote:Not against vaccinating children and elderly when there is a really bad flu going around, but I really don't think any adult with a healthy immune system needs to be vaccinated...
The whole issue though is that some vaccinations can't be given to children or other folks for various reasons and thus the best way to protect these folks is to make sure that we prevent the diseases from spreading to any significant population in the first place.

Anyways I agree that for flu vaccines the cost/benefit is a bit more of a grey area, but people who are anti-vaccination in general (invariably due to misinformation and/or ignorance) are actively harming other folks and allowing terrible stuff like measles, smallpox and whooping cough to come back.
vigor wrote:"The adjuvanted pandemic swine flu vaccine caused narcolepsy in some children, a British study affirmed, although the mechanism still isn't certain.
It should be noted that the study in question had some non-trivial problems (see here for some discussion http://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/the ... arcolepsy/) and to my knowledge was not replicated. Probably more importantly is that it was a correllational study and thus the quote about it "causing" narcolepsy is not supported, even if the study findings themselves were replicated. IIRC there were some follow-up studies planned to be published this year though so it'll be interesting to see what their findings are.
par73

Post by par73 »

if a study can't be replicated its probably a load of bullshit
wwo

Post by wwo »

The last 3 years have seen just a ridiculous increase in these kinds of "studies". It's almost like scientists are getting paid to further someone's agenda.

http://retractionwatch.com/