Message to those interested in TWS

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
drunken_deer

Message to those interested in TWS

Post by drunken_deer »

start recruiting your own teams, and try to get some new players involved. I mean real newbies, otherwise its going to be another boring tournament.
Post in gaming forums, use steam, your friends, your mum whoever just stop with the same lame teams as predictions are not really predictions if you can
get every single one right.
jason_ac

Re: Message to those interested in TWS

Post by jason_ac »

drunken_deer wrote:try to get some new players involved. I mean real newbies, otherwise its going to be another boring tournament.
If the newbies are too clueless, don't they just become cannon fodder that doesn't really change the outcome of the tourney? I guess if a team has only 1 or 2 new players in each match and they control a small number of units semi-intelligently, then they can be part of a "contender" team, perhaps even surprise some vets.

I get the impression from other posts that the veteran players are just annoyed & pissed-off when a tourney has too many inexpert teams to compete against. If they're not facing experts, they feel like they're wasting their time. Or have I gotten the wrong impression?
par73

Post by par73 »

Well you have the right impression but I think its very stupid for those to have expectations of team tournaments circa 98-08 in 2014. If veteran players want to play against more experienced teams, they would be convincing each other to team up to add to the team pool causing other veteran players to consider returning.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

New players, sadly, are NOT the key to a better tourny. If they are too green, it is just a complete clusterfuck of a game every time.

If there was more of an even distribution of the Uber vets, maybe each taking a team of noobs under their wing and training them, that would be pretty interesting. But those vet guys always want to just team with their buddies and play with them. This leads to stacked teams where everybody know 1 of 2 teams is really going to win.

Somebody with a super high care factor :::LOoks at paris::: should make a series of training youtube videos. Things like how to edit your formations. How to dodge puss, how to trap a trow, how to destory incoming puss with a dorf bottle. Control of formations 101 as well. There are many not too complicated techniques that all vets use in game, that if noobs got semi good at, could really help them out.
Most importantly, if noobs can follow the captains orders, and go where and do what they are told, their lack of skill is much less of a factor.

Mostly having 100 people left in the world who even play this game still is the major problem.
drunken_deer

Post by drunken_deer »

New players are key, Its complete utter stupidity and ignorance not to even attempt a new solution to a problem. Making HD units was a good idea until you got shafted by the Tain community and so encouraging those who appeal to Graphics was and still is a good but sadly attempted failure unless its inclusive and part of a mandatory official patch.

I am asking the community to help out get new people on board so we end up with more players like Funk turn up for example, they do not just gain myth skills overnight.

LEARN TO WALK BEFORE YOU CAN RUN
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Renwood wrote:New players, sadly, are NOT the key to a better tourny. If they are too green, it is just a complete clusterfuck of a game every time.
For once I agree with Renwood - if you have newbies with no experience who don't even know the rules of the different gametypes you'll end up with some lunatic newbie on your team who will think he's helping his team win by killing his own team's assassin units instead of protecting them.
par73

Post by par73 »

how ironic
drunken_deer

Post by drunken_deer »

Learning requires you to participate, in order to make mistakes you have to actually make the mistake to learn from it.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

I could see a few ways a tourney could grow the community:

- Have a prize that's so good that non-Mythers (ones who are confident gamers) decide to try the game, and, as long as they like it, decide it's worth playing obsessively to develop skills fast enough to have a chance at winning. You'd probably have to set the tourney like 6 months out, so non-Mythers have time to find out about it, and decide they'll have time to get good enough to be competitive. Heh, I've got a new-in-box old model iPod I might donate. Except I don't think that alone is compelling enough.

- Or, *IF* you could identify newbies vs vets, have a new-to-Myth-only tourney with a prize. Only open to those who are brand-new, or who haven't played for years and never got too good. Then you'd know you could start in Myth, play hard for a month or 2, and all you need to do is beat other newbies, not vets.

OR, IF you could identify newbies vs vets, have an open-to-all tourney, with 2 grand prizes. 1 to the overall winner (surely a vet), the other to the newbie that did the best out of all the newbies.

OR, IF you could identify newbies vs vets, have an open-to-all tourney, with 1 grand prize, BUT, EVERY team has to have at least 1-2 newbies playing in every game.
par73

Post by par73 »

it would be cool if other people besides myself hosted tournaments as well.
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Renwood wrote:Somebody with a super high care factor :::LOoks at paris::: should make a series of training youtube videos. Things like how to edit your formations. How to dodge puss...
Anyone with a Myth tactic to demo, if they don't have the desire/time/ability to make video, could still make a Myth recording, and type a paragraph (or record some audio) explaining what they're demonstrating.

We could post those all somewhere (I have a place they could go, I'm sure others do too), or maybe another Myther will turn them into video (2 Myth-ers have been into making tutorial videos http://www.youtube.com/user/wishwizard/ ... &flow=list, http://www.youtube.com/user/MyChemicalB ... ultiplayer)