adrenaline's Myth II Guide for Newbs

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
adrenaline

adrenaline's Myth II Guide for Newbs

Post by adrenaline »

Hey. A few years ago I started writing this guide to help newer players become better... what I ended up with was an unfinished product. Well... I finally got around to finishing it, I think.

Don't let the name fool you, though. This guide isn't just for NEW players... it has tips and techniques to improve nearly anyone's game, with the probably exception of the handful of veterans still around. I still see many players on the server that could benefit from reading this.

Website owners... feel free to post this wherever you'd like. It is in .pdf format.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?5ufs95d89tas0a4

OR

http://www.sendspace.com/file/x6gz5b
adrenaline

Re: adrenaline's Myth II Guide for Newbs

Post by adrenaline »

It's in pdf. If you wanna format it for thegodhead, be my guest :D Perhaps a permanent link to the pdf would be a better solution though.
par73

Post by par73 »

plz tell me you reposted this on marius adren Lol
grim

Post by grim »

adrenaline wrote:It's in pdf. If you wanna format it for thegodhead, be my guest :D Perhaps a permanent link to the pdf would be a better solution though.
All you need to do is copy paste the whole thing. Even the images and shit get copied.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

ya its on mariusnet and the tain, par. grim -- fine.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

copied and pasted... not sure the images show. If they don't... I'll have to fix it... even the title has an image.
browning

Post by browning »

Fun read, lolled at brigands. I think you could have expanded on formation settings in Fear or even provided a formations file, and then explained the tactics for every fundamental formation in the file. From the way you described it, it didn't sound very intuitive and your formation ideas weren't exhaustive. Other ideas would be to explain gesture-click arrows, maybe touch on pathfinding, game awareness/IQ in team games.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Ya b... I actually had links to downloads of my formations... but I put them in there when I started this thing, and they had long expired, so I took them out... the point was more to get people into Fear themselves, instead of doing it all for them. As for your other points... ya, I wanted to include most of that stuff, but honestly, I just got sick of working on it and decided to wrap it up at 20 pages... and as I said at the beginning, it wasn't meant to be a comprehensive guide... just a thing to get people on the right track. Thanks for the feedback, man.
switch

Post by switch »

Thank you for sharing this, Adrenaline, top shelf material: In addition to the insight of a top tier payer, I love the subtle graphic touches.

Using this link it should be a simple matter to convert to word, open office or epub, mobi: though I suppose what is really required is a UBB formate converter.

Isn't this just ridiculous ridiculous insanity? <3
Aki

Post by Aki »

I recently downloaded AutoHotKey to make my Pause/Break key put my computer to sleep.

Just now I've thought of this: use AutoHotKey to map each of the numbers keys as Alt+# so you don't have to press Alt when recalling presets. Then have formations change by pressing Alt+# (this would be harder to script but most likely possible).
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Aki wrote: Just now I've thought of this: use AutoHotKey to map each of the numbers keys as Alt+# so you don't have to press Alt when recalling presets. Then have formations change by pressing Alt+# (this would be harder to script but most likely possible).
I think this has been mentioned elsewhere, but 1.8 has an alternate preset recall option already that avoids "holding" keys. It makes it so that:

ALT+#: store preset (no holding necessary)
#: recall preset (and you can double-tap to center on those units, like other RTS games)
F, and then #: select formation (f is mappable to whatever. It is not held, it is pressed, followed by a number)

Works pretty well once you get used to it. ALT is of course mappable to CTRL or whatever if people want a setup even more like other modern RTS games.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

200+ downloads already... wow. didn't realize there were even that many players around still...

I have an idea... would be cool to get all the guides and helpful articles together into one giant pdf and call it the Myth II Bible. some new contributions would be welcome, of course. Thoughts?
blahblahblah

Post by blahblahblah »

Probably about as useful as the actual bible.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Alhough probably far more useful than your forum contributions. But i agree the actual bible is pretty useless.
par73

Post by par73 »

Actually the bible is pretty useful once you realize a few key things.

On a pre-note:
You don't have to commit intellectual suicide to have acknowledgement of the creator. Today in science evidence points towards the idea of a creator more than ever.

The first part of Genesis is sheer mythology, 'the one forbidden thing,' If you want to understand why God would have done a thing like that, all you need to do is tell somebody, "Don't do this", and human nature will take care of the rest.
There is no Garden of Eden as a concrete place, to believe so is a misunderstanding and misconstrues the metaphoric language of religion.
Indoctrinating our children into a system of beliefs that is at odds with rational thinking, that is responsible for the structure of the technological and scientific culture in which we love, is quite a terrible thing.
Those who lie to the young in this way are wicked in the extreme, if children are told they are evil and worthless, they will become that.
Original Sin is not taught by Jesus, it was developed around the Eden Story primarily in the teachings of St. Augustine around 400 AD. A child has no ability to discriminate between symbolism of a myth and a story as history.
They will learn, from Western Indoctrination, that what they are taught to believe is true and that anybody who does not believe this is wrong, and possibly evil. We teach them their ideology is worth dying for, and moreover worth killing for.

Let's take a glance at who God is in the Bible
In the Old Testament, God is a powerful and absolute ruler who demands blind obedience and severely punishes those who deviate from his worship.
However, in the New Testament and after the birth of Jesus, we are introduced to an image of God as a benevolent father figure who loves his creation and wants us all to go to heaven to be with him for eternity.
Omnipotence is the All Powerful, Omniscience is the All Knowing, and Omnipresence is everywhere at once. These qualities of God represent the ultimate control.

The two major Christian holidays have become secularized and culturally adapted to appeal to children, by adding elements of no religious significance. This gives immediate positive reinforcement for participating in celebration when the minds are not mature enough to understand abstractions such as salvation, heaven and hell. On Christmas people give and receive presents, children like getting presents, therefore children like Christmas. "Why was I getting presents on Jesus' Birthday?"

Adam and Eve banished themselves from paradise by separating themselves from the oneness, Which the God of exoteric (eastern) religion does not judge. People indoctrinated into Western, dualistic esoteric religious beliefs conform to a life based on judgement, taught to children who are then further condemned to follow in those footsteps. The Children are taught to 'have faith', and questioning faith is Taboo. Hence to return to the Garden of Eden is a journey in which we all return to the one, the absolute, the whole, the all that is all.

When we ask a child to believe in the Western Doctrine of Religion, we invite confusion by giving them Ancient Philosophy from the Middle Ages or Before, under threat of spending eternity in the worst place imaginable.

However, I find it more responsible to believe God would be disappointed in us to appreciate and utilize our great gift of intellect with all our might and for whatever time is available to us.

If religious volume succeeds at all in arousing the reader the spirit of inquiry and encouraging the use of the mind with respect to his or her faith, it has served it's purpose.

"Be of good cheer, I have overcome the world." John 16:33
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Thanks for that little excerpt from The Rape of Sophia Perennis. You weren't trying to pass that off as an original thought, were you :lol:

More interested in your thoughts about teh Myth Bible, dammit.
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

The best learning tool is replays. Anyone who loses a game and wonders how they lost should watch the replay and figure it out. I think most people who play at a low level can't be bothered to put any time into figuring out the myth mechanics, unit balance or strategies, which would be why there are people around who have been playing for years and never gotten good.
falcon

Post by falcon »

Myrk did you watch mwc finals replays ?
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

I wasn't in the last MWC, so no. I don't usually watch replays anymore since most games these days aren't very interesting, although I watch LN's shoutcasts. When I first started playing Myth I watched the replays of most games I was in and learned fast as a result.
par73

Post by par73 »

adrenaline wrote:Thanks for that little excerpt from The Rape of Sophia Perennis. You weren't trying to pass that off as an original thought, were you :lol:
No I was not

Are you trying to claim that you have ever had an original thought?

lahl
par73

Post by par73 »

Myrk wrote:The best learning tool is replays. Anyone who loses a game and wonders how they lost should watch the replay and figure it out. I think most people who play at a low level can't be bothered to put any time into figuring out the myth mechanics, unit balance or strategies, which would be why there are people around who have been playing for years and never gotten good.
Greatest point ever made by Myrk in the past 10 years
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

you still haven't answered the damn question lol
par73

Post by par73 »

No, you claimed the 'actual bible is pretty useless' and I presented a point of view that looks at the bible as a useful source. I felt like that was kinda obvious though.

Have you ever read RSP or did you just google that? It's a very interesting book especially when you pair up the readings with Science Set Free. I might have used two direct excerpts but the rest were personal notes.
par73

Post by par73 »

When standard analogue functional analysis procedures produce inconclusive results in children with conversational speech, the child's mands may help to identify the function of destructive behavior. In the current investigation, functional analyses conducted with 2 children who exhibited self-injury, aggression, and property destruction were undifferentiated across conditions. Based on informal observations and school and parental report, an analysis was conducted using mands to help determine the function of the destructive behavior. Using a multielement design, the therapist's compliance with the child's mands occurred either on a fixed-ratio (FR) 1 schedule or contingent on destructive behavior. Destructive behavior occurred at high and consistent levels when reinforcement of mands was contingent on destructive behavior and at near-zero levels when reinforcement of mands occurred on the FR 1 schedule. Based on these results, a second analysis was conducted in which compliance to mands occurred only when the child appropriately requested it (i.e., functional communication training plus extinction) and, for 1 child, compliance with mands was terminated contingent upon destructive behavior (i.e., functional communication training plus response cost). For both children, the rates of destructive behavior decreased markedly. The results suggest that assessing the child's mands may be useful in decreasing destructive behavior when a functional analysis is inconclusive.
Hadzenegger

Post by Hadzenegger »

par73 wrote:When standard analogue functional analysis procedures produce inconclusive results in children with conversational speech, the child's mands may help to identify the function of destructive behavior. In the current investigation, functional analyses conducted with 2 children who exhibited self-injury, aggression, and property destruction were undifferentiated across conditions. Based on informal observations and school and parental report, an analysis was conducted using mands to help determine the function of the destructive behavior. Using a multielement design, the therapist's compliance with the child's mands occurred either on a fixed-ratio (FR) 1 schedule or contingent on destructive behavior. Destructive behavior occurred at high and consistent levels when reinforcement of mands was contingent on destructive behavior and at near-zero levels when reinforcement of mands occurred on the FR 1 schedule. Based on these results, a second analysis was conducted in which compliance to mands occurred only when the child appropriately requested it (i.e., functional communication training plus extinction) and, for 1 child, compliance with mands was terminated contingent upon destructive behavior (i.e., functional communication training plus response cost). For both children, the rates of destructive behavior decreased markedly. The results suggest that assessing the child's mands may be useful in decreasing destructive behavior when a functional analysis is inconclusive.

wall of text
did not read