Lobby Icon for Myth Olympics winner

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
Zak

Lobby Icon for Myth Olympics winner

Post by Zak »

I was told that the winner of the 1v1 tournament will be receiving a special icon next to their name, in the lobby.

I think all the members of the Myth Olympics would appreciate a similar prize.
punkUser

Re: Lobby Icon for Myth Olympics winner

Post by punkUser »

It's something we discussed as a possibility, but there were some mixed feelings on whether people care that much about it. Would be interested in people's opinions on a policy here for such things... what icons, what length of time, etc.
Zak

Post by Zak »

punkUser wrote:It's something we discussed as a possibility, but there were some mixed feelings on whether people care that much about it. Would be interested in people's opinions on a policy here for such things... what icons, what length of time, etc.
Well lets start a poll, I think its very important that certain people have icons to show they're better than the other players
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

icons should be reserved for regular myth tournaments only, and of a respectable level of participation. or else anyone can makeup some 4-player tournament on some random 3rd party plugin and try to argue for giving themselves an icon.
dac

Post by dac »

shrink this badboy down and give it to the myth special olympics winner.

punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Ha, unfortunately we can't do anything custom. We just just use/abuse the regular rank icons (and perhaps a few of the others, will have to check) for our purposes.
dac

Post by dac »

add it to the client! you know you can do it
Zak

Post by Zak »

Giant Killer General wrote:icons should be reserved for regular myth tournaments only, and of a respectable level of participation. or else anyone can makeup some 4-player tournament on some random 3rd party plugin and try to argue for giving themselves an icon.
Sorry but my tournament is a lot more legit than yours, since it requires you to be use many different styles of play to win.
Giant Killer General

your tournament is not reg myth, enough said. I would sooner see ww2ers get an icon.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Giant Killer General wrote:your tournament is not reg myth, enough said. I would sooner see ww2ers get an icon.
So do you run this server or punkuser? I'm confused
Giant Killer General

where did i say i run the server? im confused.

punk asked for opinions on the matter, i just gave mine.

you also seem to only have 8 players in your tournament. gg right there.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Giant Killer General wrote: you also seem to only have 8 players in your tournament. gg right there.
wtf does that matter? The fact that people are scared to test their skills in something other than stock bungie maps doesn't change the fact that my tournament is a better litmus test for myth skill.

Perhaps you're insecure that if punkuser agrees with me that your tournament won't hold a monopoly on merit-based icons?
Giant Killer General

my tournament isn't stock bungie maps, but it is reg myth.

your tournament doesn't test myth skill because it isn't myth. that's like hosting a starcraft tournament on custom plugin maps only and calling it starcraft skill.

i'm all for icons for legit tournaments of reg myth. im fine with mwc champions having icons for example.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Giant Killer General wrote:my tournament isn't stock bungie maps, but it is reg myth.

your tournament doesn't test myth skill because it isn't myth. that's like hosting a starcraft tournament on custom plugin maps only and calling it starcraft skill.

i'm all for icons for legit tournaments of reg myth. im fine with mwc champions having icons for example.
If the majority of myth games are actually 3rd party plugins then who are you to say that isn't myth? Just because you prefer to stay in your safe bubble of stock bungie maps and never get good at anything else, doesn't mean the rest of us are.

Go tell the people over at project magma forums that they don't actually play myth
Giant Killer General

you might as well host a mazzarin's demise tournament and call it a myth skill tournament.

you keep bringing up maps, yet maps are not what define reg myth or not, it's the units. maps don't even matter.
spongefile

Post by spongefile »

A pissing contest over which type of Myth is purebred enough to be allowed an ICON (regularly seen by <30 ppl) in the lobby. :shock:

Does anyone think Myth would have remained popular(and updated to this day) with nothing but the original maps? Is it not awesome that you can not only play a cool RTS but also recreate actual ancient Greek battles on this platform if you feel like it?

But whatever: If it's really important to protect the purity of Das Volkes Myth vs. dirty mixedbreed Mythtypes like ww2 and alternate maps and plugins, let the few groups who care reserve their own tournament winner lobby icon that no other tournament type may display.

(Out of curiosity, Punk: is there a list of icons somewhere?)