LAG ON MY OWN HOST

General MWC related discussion stuff.
BIG KROK V8 SS

LAG ON MY OWN HOST

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I seriously get 3 second delay on my own host, wtf is up with gos!?
punkUser

Re: LAG ON MY OWN HOST

Post by punkUser »

That has to be a computer issue... as I've stated several times, the metaserver isn't really involved in the game once you start it. Check your FPS in all cases and try TCP/IP. If that's faster, try playing in a non-films room.

But you were also saying the game was much slower (FPS) if it started alt-tabbed or in windowed mode or something? Seems like something fishy is going on there.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

This was a different issue last night. I'm not talking about FPS at all. When I pressed delete, my ping was 200ms...on my own host? And I would move and stop a unit and it would take a consistent 3 seconds to react to my controls. It was perfectly consistent but that has never happened before.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Having a non-zero ping on your own host doesn't make a ton of sense... gonna need more info I think. Try the things I suggested.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Yeah ping doesn't show up on a recording. I dunno it was legit crazy. Don't know how else to describe it... it was literally 3 second delay. Smooth and consistent but it was my own host.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

As a test to eliminate router/wireless issues, try getting a network cable and directly plug it into your DSL or cable modem. Run your speed test again and post your results. Also host and play some games and see what your lag/ping experience is.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Would a 500 foot cable even help over my wireless? Especially considering 450 of it would be laying on the ground outside.
Arsenal

Post by Arsenal »

The general rule of thumb is to never run a cat cable longer than 300ft, after that the signal starts to degrade. I'm impressed you're even getting a wifi signal from 500ft away.

Your options are:

run a 500ft ethernet cable, which would probably be better than your wifi but would not be great
drop some money on some fiber
get a wifi extender
get an external wifi card with an antenna
get ethernet repeaters or a hub and connect two cat5 together

anything I'm missing?