The Myth Fighting Championship (MFC) 2013

Forums for the MFC 2013 1v1 tournament.
Giant Killer General

The Myth Fighting Championship (MFC) 2013

Post by Giant Killer General »

We haven't had a complete 1v1 tournament since like the spring of 2010. We are well past due for another one to get some updated player rankings.

Therefore I am starting a new 1v1 tournament series entitled The Myth Fighting Championship (MFC). Much as MWC takes the World Cup theme for a team tournament series, MFC will take a UFC theme for a 1v1 tournament series.

Here are the rules:

There are 2 phases to this tournament:

1) Qualifying Round
2) Divisional Round Robin

PHASE 0 - REGISTRATION
Before you can play in the open QR, you must register. To register, simply post your desire to compete in the "SIGN UP HERE" thread (next to this thread) and you will be signed up. Note that you can start playing matches against other registered players immediately after you sign up, it is an open QR from now until June 30.

PHASE 1 - QUALIFYING ROUND
The qualifying round is from now until June 30. There will be an officially organized event for everyone on Saturday, June 29, at 2 pm EST. The QR consists of playing at least 3 matches against ANY other registered players. The QR matches are first to 3 wins, win by 2. Aside from the organized time on Saturday, June 29 at 2 pm EST, you can play matches at any time on your own before June 30. You can play as many matches as you want, and you can even play the same player in more than once match. However, you must play at least 3 different registered players to be entered into the Double Elimination Round. This is incredibly important because this will show that you are active enough to participate in the DE rounds and not delay the tournament. No one will be allowed to compete without these 3 preliminary QR matches played.

PHASE 2 - DIVISIONAL ROUND ROBIN
Read the NEW DIVISION SYSTEM announcement in this forum.

I reserve the right to modify the tournament schedule as needed in the best interest of the tournament.

QR SEEDING:

QR matches will be used for seeding for the DE round. Seeding will not strictly be by match record only, it will gauge who you specifically played as well. So playing only easy opponents is not going to help you any here, just as playing all tough opponents will not hurt you any. I recommend playing as difficult of opponents as you can though to help prepare you for the DE rounds. In the case of ties, game scores will be used.

The open QR format is for more flexibility, freedom, and fun. So with an open format it doesn't make sense to go by match record, because the difficulty of the opponents and number of matches per player will be variable.

Instead, I will construct the rankings depending on the results of who won and lost vs who. Player A beat B, and player B beat C, so rankings 1-2-3 go A-B-C. that sort of thing. In the case of ties, I will look at game records. If anyone has any questions about their ranking I can certainly explain it to them. In the case where there is a patch of broken links in the web of match results, I can compare game records of different players against the same opponent. In the absolute worst case I will use my own judgement, but hopefully people play plenty of QR matches so that isn't a problem.

Another big factor I will be using now to address 3 way ties, tied match records, and rankings in general, is by giving more weight towards the more recent matches. This helps a lot actually to get around the situation now with all the different outcomes from a lot of paris' matches, and other outlier match results.

This prevents people from sitting on an artificial / temporary high rank, giving advantage to those that play more.

Also, you cannot be raised in rank indirectly through other's victories. By indirectly I mean, because you beat that player, and now that player is beating everyone else, you don't get rank from that. You have to play your own matches directly.

The point of this is that you have to play matches to solidify your ranking. The rank earned from any outlying victories you have (a win over a single player much higher ranked than you) is going to get washed out by all of your other match results unless you can beat others equally as high ranked to solidify it.

MATCH RULES:

Who Picks First:
The lower seeded player picks first. If there are no seeds, use common sense in the lesser player picking first or figure it out however you want. It is win by 2 so it really doesn't matter.

Game Options:
-These are standard 1v1 duels, which means every game is 8 min lmoth (no untamed lmoth however, ctf allowed on untamed, chest, float, etc. use common sense, both players need to agree), no vets, normal difficulty, trading on, 30-45 sec PT, map on, etc.
-Use the honor system for maps with big start advantages in certain situations (grave/web, etc.), and for game restarts with obvious game-deciding lagouts / freezes. If there are any disputes, finish the match then bring it up later if it even matters.
-You alternate map picks, you cannot pick the same map twice unless your opponent agrees (you can pick something your opponent picked though).
-The only 3rd party plugin allowed will be the Proving Ground Dueling Pack made by SamTheButcher. You may play other 3rd party maps, and use other game options, but only if both players agree.

You can get the PG Dueling Pack Plugin on SamTheButcher's site here: http://thebutchersmaps.weebly.com/

Or at theTain here: http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/p ... ing-pack-1

-Gate of Storms (GoS) will be the metaserver for this tournament (we need the easy access to films). Patch 1.8, build 424 will be the version of myth for this tournament.

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER:

NO MATCHES PLAYED OUTSIDE OF A FILM ROOM ON THE GATE OF STORMS SERVER WILL COUNT. EVEN IF MARIUSNET COMES BACK UP, YOU MUST PLAY YOUR MATCHES IN A FILM ROOM ON THE GATE OF STORMS SERVER, AND BE LOGGED INTO YOUR PROPER (NON-GUEST) ACCOUNT. THIS IS SO THAT WE CAN GET 100% OF THE GAMES ADDED TO THE SITE'S TOURNEY FEATURES FOR ORGANIZING FILMS, STATS, ETC. AND BE ABLE TO ARCHIVE THAT DATA FOREVER

Lastly, I would like to try to raise a small prize for the winner of this tournament (maybe $50). I know that may be difficult and unlikely, but in case anyone is interested in supporting competitive myth in this way, even if we have to combine small contributions from multiple people, please let me know.

Prize #1: Arsenal has been most gracious in supporting the myth community by putting up a $50 prize to the winner of this tournament. I was really surprised by that, I thought it would be very difficult to raise a prize. However we shouldn't stop there, if anyone else wants to pitch in it would make the tournament even more epic! In any case, this is now officially a REAL MONEY TOURNAMENT. You might want to sign up to compete like RIGHT NOW.

Prize #2: Punkuser is also putting up a prize of having a special icon on the GoS server to recognize the winner.

Any questions, let me know.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: The Myth Fighting Championship (MFC) 2013

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Already went out on top and retired Myth from ever having a meaningful 1v1 tournament again without me.

I am not competing.

Zak

Post by Zak »

I'll play
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I'm in.

Funny that you'd choose this theme too... a few months or so ago, I made a color map of an octagon that I was planning on making into a 1v1 arena, with all the standard bungie trades. Was also considering a UFC themed 1v1 tournament when I made it... It looks pretty decent I think, but I don't really know much about creating maps other than the color map, so I never got around to finishing it. Anyone wanna take a crack at it? Zak?
Giant Killer General

Please note that I made a slight rule change. You may begin playing matches immediately, there's no need to wait. Just consider this an open 1v1 period between now and June 30. Just make sure you get your 3 matches against 3 different players in.
Zak

Post by Zak »

adrenaline wrote:I'm in.

Funny that you'd choose this theme too... a few months or so ago, I made a color map of an octagon that I was planning on making into a 1v1 arena, with all the standard bungie trades. Was also considering a UFC themed 1v1 tournament when I made it... It looks pretty decent I think, but I don't really know much about creating maps other than the color map, so I never got around to finishing it. Anyone wanna take a crack at it? Zak?
I can probably make it into a map if the color map is completely finished, make sure you index it and convert it to a bmp file.

Post it somewhere I'll take a look.
par73

Post by par73 »

I'm gunna call it now and say Zak places worse than Sam the Butcher
Zak

Post by Zak »

par73 wrote:I'm gunna call it now and say Zak places worse than Sam the Butcher
It is possible, I don't really 1v1 very often
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

GKG I'm assuming you don't want/need stats/films (in a tourney on the games.gateofstorms.net site) for the QR games, but yes for the rest?

If you want to include QR too I'll need people to send me links to the games that they play that should be included as part of it.
Giant Killer General

yea probably. i would for the QR too but it may not make sense to do it with the open style format. maybe some of the more exciting matches in the QR can be done too. not sure how your tourney features work. if I or the players sent you links to the games, can you add them into a match in your tourney features?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Giant Killer General wrote:yea probably. i would for the QR too but it may not make sense to do it with the open style format. maybe some of the more exciting matches in the QR can be done too. not sure how your tourney features work. if I or the players sent you links to the games, can you add them into a match in your tourney features?
Yeah basically you can create "rounds" and add "games" to them. The games can be labeled arbitrarily (in this case, probably something like Player1 vs Player2 Game 1" makes sense or similar). The interface is a bit clunky right now so it's probably best if you just send me the games and I add them, but I could give you access to do it yourself too. You just have to be careful because there's certain things like deleting games and renaming stuff that I currently have to poke the database directly for, as there isn't yet a good interface. Your call.
Giant Killer General

I like the idea of adding the films / game from the QR matches as well, no reason not to, would be cool to get that data. As we discussed, let's organize it into 2 separate tournaments for the purposes of the features, one for the QR (unlimited number of potential matches) and the DE (fixed number of matches).
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

I'm confused as to how qualifying works for the DE seeding. From what I understand you just evaluate everyone based on their matches and choose who moves on regardless of their record in those QR matches?
par73

Post by par73 »

What are the rules for QR matches?
Giant Killer General

And the tournament is up ready to rock everyone:

http://games.gateofstorms.net/tournaments

I will be able to add everyone's games / matches to these tourney features for organized films and stats.
Giant Killer General

QR matches are first to 3 wins, win by 2. it says it in there.

well yea it is an open QR format for more flexibility, freedom, and fun. So with an open format it doesn't make sense to go by match record, because the difficulty of the opponents and number of matches per player would change.

Instead, I will have to construct the rankings depending on the results of who won and lost vs who. Player A beat B, and player B beat C, so rankings 1-2-3 go A-B-C. that sort of thing. In the case of ties, I will look at game records. If anyone has any questions about their ranking I can certainly explain it to them. In the case where there is a patch of broken links in the web of match results, I can compare game records of different players against the same opponent. In the absolute worst case I will use my own judgement, but hopefully people play plenty of QR matches so that isn't a problem.
Giant Killer General

Please now register in the separate registration thread.

Also note that there is a separate forum created for the tournament, it is at the bottom under "active tournaments"

Thanks.
Pablo Escobar

Post by Pablo Escobar »

You know I'm in! Especially since I found out that Xmas is better than me through the rankings LOL, MAN I DID NOT PLAY MYTH THIS LONG SO I CAN BE DISRESPECTED LIKE THIS! Good call GKG!
Giant Killer General

Breaking News Update: Arsenal has now put up a $50 prize to the winner of this tournament.

Everyone say THANK YOU ARSENAL.

NOW GO SIGN UP.
Giant Killer General

There is now talks of possible additional "metaserver" prize, such as a unique icon, or something as well.
pallidice

Post by pallidice »

OK BTW IM DRINK AS SHIT SO I DONT EVERN KNOW HOW TO APPLY TO THIS REGISTRAION BUT IF THIS WORKS HERE I AM.. PALLIDE IS HERE
cremisi

Post by cremisi »

playing 3 matches in a row is a bit too much can it be 2 mb.
Giant Killer General

you don't have to play 3 in a row crem. just 3 in total between now and june 30. that is a very easy request i think.
Giant Killer General

Everyone please note I have increased the number of players to be taken into the DE rounds from 16 to 32. We still need a few more players to hit 32, and that is assuming all players complete their mandatory 3 QR matches. Please remember that you must complete 3 matches in the QR to be accepted into the DE rounds. There will be no exceptions to this rule. Consider it a test of the minimum requirement to your activity level so I know we aren't going to have delays in the DE rounds. If you can't do 3 short QR matches at any time against any player over a 2 week period, then it can't be reasonably expected for you to complete 1 longer match against 1 specific person consistently at a specific fallback time every single week.
par73

Post by par73 »

crem u completely misread the rules from not being logged in on your account on GoS.net to thinking you need to play 3 matches in a row (but really it is only playing at least 3 opponents in 1 match for about a 2 weeks time span. just ask questions if something seems fishy!
zagon

Post by zagon »

please remove me from the tourney

Maybe its the year and a half i was away or the fact that im on a mobile hotspot but i cant play for shit and im losing to people i never used to

was told i may be experiencing delay.. either way its not fun for me and no real practice for those i face

so good games
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

or maybe it's the fact that you played people that are better than you at myth.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Not that either of us played particularly well but I don't think we've ever played in the past... I don't remember you at all in any case. And I wouldn't feel bad about losing to Paris.
par73

Post by par73 »

2 players have rage quit so far, next up? asmodian.
zagon

Post by zagon »

After having some time to cool off I have decided I want to continue playing in this tourney. Its not fair for the three people I have played thus far that their games don't count. Plus its not in my nature to quit. Thats something like limp would do when he decided after one bad experience he wanted to bang dudes instead. Or when the french said I surrender during WW2. I am not going to let a bad connection and a few bad matches discourage me. After all this is just a game

Here are the results from my three matches

Paris 3-1
PK 3-1
Punk user 3-0
Giant Killer General

okay, but if you quit again I am not letting you back in. You are creating more work for me with all the emo coming and going.
Gamer

Post by Gamer »

I messed up guys. I played Zagon on web, had hill start, and wouldn't let him up. It was an asshole decision on my part, and against GKG's honor rules. I would like to make sure that the whole match with Zagon is invalidated. And this is my personal apology to Zagon for looking like someone who just cares about winning, because I really just want people to have fun. I hope we get a chance to play again Zagon, and I'll make sure to follow the honor rules from now on. Was just a boneheaded brainfart from me.

Gamer
Giant Killer General

gamer no need to throw out the entire match, just throw out that game if u want. Personally I don't think the result will change, but just replay that game sometime.