Myth 2 1.8 Public Beta

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
punkUser

Re: Myth 2 1.8 Public Beta

Post by punkUser »

What's your system specs dac? Specifically CPU and motherboard/chipset.
dac wrote:(because myth affinity is set to 1 processor only).
You may not want to do this - this can interact poorly with graphics driver threads which pin themselves to a specific hardware thread as well. If you do do it, I highly recommend doing it by just unchecking "use multiple cores" in options (this is mainly what that option does), *not* by using the native OS affinity tools, because then Myth knows not to launch a separate GUI thread and so on (which is necessary to enable continuous resizing among other things).

If you are already using the ingame option (unchecked), try checking it instead.

Milk: do you have specific repro steps or does it happen seemingly randomly? When it happens, do you need to switch maps and switch back or something? Does launching the game still work as expected even when it says ERROR? Would it show the "error" in the preview in the game setup screen itself, or just when you clicked OK and go back to the game lobby?
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Post by c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ »

Seemingly randomly, but I'd have to experiment more.

I don't know if switching maps back and forth or starting games gets rid of problems as all three times it happened I dumped and restarted in 1.7.2. I'll try those things next time.

I don't remember exactly if the error showed up in setup too, but I don't think it did, only game and main lobby I think, but again I'll keep my eye out next time.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Milk Man wrote: I don't remember exactly if the error showed up in setup too, but I don't think it did, only game and main lobby I think, but again I'll keep my eye out next time.
Cool, if we can figure out how to repro it we can get it fixed.

Btw there is currently a bug with the "Allow Old Clients" checkbox, but if you always leave it on it shouldn't affect you I don't think... although it's possible that this is related.
dac

Post by dac »

yeah thats box is checked, this problem has been happening since i came back in 2012 and ive posted about it numerous times.

i'll get you that info when i can get back to my machine.

feature request: a dot command in lobby that sends the command to the metaserver and returns the results to your in game screen. this would allow you to check login/stats/whatever for people in the game (or wank them before booting) etc. shouldnt be too hard to do, will allow lots of possibilities for metaservers though.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

So are you affinitizing to one core manually then but still checking the box? That's what I'd recommend that you avoid.
dac wrote: feature request: a dot command in lobby that sends the command to the metaserver and returns the results to your in game screen. this would allow you to check login/stats/whatever for people in the game (or wank them before booting) etc. shouldnt be too hard to do, will allow lots of possibilities for metaservers though.
Hmm, may require metaserver changes though. The issue is that you are technically "muted" when ingame so the metaserver stops sending you packets.
dac

Post by dac »

not sure why its so confusing.

im only using the myth checkbox for affinity. i'm too lazy to change it every time i start up myth in task manager.

it's still going apeshit sporaticaly.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

dac wrote: im only using the myth checkbox for affinity. i'm too lazy to change it every time i start up myth in task manager.
Ok, in both configurations it's going nuts then occasionally? Yeah I'd be curious to see CPU/MB(chipset) then.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Post by c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ »

It seems that switching maps around while still in the setup window does get rid of the problem.

Haven't tried starting with the error screen up yet.

Another problem that has carried over from 1.7.2 is how the title of my game sometimes shows up as "Bob" in lobby when hosting the ffa league pack (I think this is particular to certain meshes).
dac

Post by dac »

cool, it happened again.

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO.,LTD 760GM -E51 (MS-7596) 1.0
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. V1.2B3 11/17/2009

processor:
3.20 gigahertz AMD Phenom II X4 955
512 kilobyte primary memory cache
2048 kilobyte secondary memory cache
6144 kilobyte tertiary memory cache
64-bit ready
Multi-core (4 total)
Not hyper-threaded

myth_log:
2013-04-17 23:34:54
Myth II Build 374 running under Modern Windows 6.010000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for DirectX 11 devices...
Found adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 | NVIDIA Corporation | OpenGL 4.3
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
Loading Patch Files...
Patch 1.2
Patch MariusNet
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.4 Interface
Patch 1.5
Patch 1.7 Templates
Loading Patch Files Succeeded
Warning: Unable to find cutscene 'prologue'.
Establishing connection with metaserver at myth.mariusnet.com:6321...
Connected.
Disconnecting from metaserver.
Connected.
Connected.
Running DirectX 10/11 at 1920 x 1080 (VSync ON)
Starting mesh "Venice"...
Using 1.7.2 gameplay...
Quitting networked game...
Starting mesh "If I Had a Trow..."...
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "The Desert Between Your Ears"...
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Hvergelmir - Light" with 1 plugin...
Hvergelmir v1.4
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Starting mesh "Caer Cadarn (Trow)" with 1 plugin...
Caer_Cadarn
Using 1.7.0 gameplay...
Closing Myth.
-- end myth log

attached screenshot of myth taking up 100% of one of my processors.

note that i was able to quit myth normally, it responded to repeatedly pressing the escape button but there was significant delay and im positive that the inputs were lost, because it escaped to menu screen and stayed frozen again for some time.

this happens if i leave myth on overnight quite frequently, and yesterday was the first time it happened in the middle of a game.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Hmm, odd. This is with 1.7.2 (from the log)? I assume it happens with the 1.8 beta as well? Similar frequency? Does it happen in OpenGL, or just DX10?

Long shot, but try updating video drivers and installing this and see if it has any affect:
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dynamic ... ItemID=153
enculator

Post by enculator »

hey when is 1.8 final release date?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

enculator wrote:hey when is 1.8 final release date?
Hasn't been nailed down to a specific date, but goal is comfortably before MWC. Speaking of... when's MWC grim? :)
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Milk Man wrote:When hosting from the ffaleague pack, I sometimes get a red "ERROR" in the place of the map name after changing meshes.

Running Mac OS 10.7.5
Do you have something in the "local" folder? I know the metaserver ignores most of it, but there could be some sort of conflict. Does this error happen when you switch maps from and to other plugins or while having same plugin selected? Did you enable any tagset at some point? Load up one of the maps on 1.8.0 and then copy/paste your myth_log. This way we can rule out if its some other file you are loading without even knowing it.

Another thing we can rule out is if you have a corrupt file. To do this you need to find the MD5sums for certain files. One method for Mac users is opening Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app). Type "md5", type a space, drag the file into the terminal window (it adds the file path by doing that), and press Enter. The command line returns the checksum. Do it for the files in your "tags" folder (ignore cache and plugin cache) and the ffaleague pack. Then post the results so we can compare.
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

Dac I agree with what Punk said regarding checking graphics drivers. In addition, I suggest turning on Microsoft Update and checking for any updates there as well (update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate).

However unlikely, I noticed he is using 1.7.0 gameplay in the last few games. Do you think that could have any affect on it Punk?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

godzfire wrote: However unlikely, I noticed he is using 1.7.0 gameplay in the last few games. Do you think that could have any affect on it Punk?
Shouldn't, no, especially if it happens in the lobby too. Sounds like some bizarre multithreading/race thing, but hard to debug without being able to repro, hence my long shot suggestions of the AMD clock skew fix (although we don't use raw rdtsc in Myth to my knowledge...) and so on. If it has been happening for a few years in different versions I don't think there's much to be done godz.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Does ANYBODY ELSE Crash, or have myth FREEZE when they try to save a game?

ALYWAYS happens to me in 1.8

Maybe somebody else with win XP give it a try?

BTW...I assume that when there is a NEW public beta released, it will be spoken of HERE at the gjol and at the PM website?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Milk Man wrote:Is fear going to work in OS X again in the final release?
I believe the tools have been updated for 1.8 as well, but ask Myrd regarding OSX specifically.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

At the magma forums as always, but no need to ask him. Yes, the tools will work on Lion and Mt. Lion unlike the previous versions.
cremisi

Post by cremisi »

more way points please
GodzFire

Post by GodzFire »

If I remember correctly the number of waypoints are hardcoded in and would require enough codework that it could only be considered for 1.8.1.
Melekor

Post by Melekor »

dac wrote:so numerous times ive reported that myth freezes up on me randomly, sucks up 100% of my processor affinity and is non responsive. this happened during a game last night, i was getting 1 frame every 3 or 4 seconds, my commands were lost and i had to force quit myth. the rest of my computer was fine (because myth affinity is set to 1 processor only).

would be nice to get this fixed eventually. this usually happens in lobby, this is the first time its happened mid game.
I believe we've finally tracked down and fixed this one. Turns out it was a bug in bungie's windows timer code which only shows up once every 1.657 days of continuous uptime, (i.e. shows up, goes away by itself after a while only to show up again 1.657 days later and so on). The fix will be present in the next 1.8 fix release.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Where/how does one get b427? As always, I would like to help and lend my testing skills for the next release.