Bone's $500 Challenge

General MWC related discussion stuff.
bone

Bone's $500 Challenge

Post by bone »

So, I think he was drunk when he said this, but this, and this (see below) got me thinking:

How hard is it, really, to get new players? Are we really so desperate that we're combing CP forums for old nerds that don't really play that competitively anyway? Is it really true that "people just want better graphics," as they say? Or is it really that we could advertise, but just that nobody has really put in any real effort?

It's time to find out.

I challenge anyone reading this post to recruit 100 players to this year's MWC. That's 100 distinct people that actually sign up and play (and not just 1,000,000 zak dummy accounts either), no matter how good or bad they do. If anyone puts in the work, and gets that, I'll personally pay them $500 (hell, I might even do it if anyone gets HALF that many new faces).

I've heard a lot of talk about things being done, but it's time to find out how hard it is, really.
Zak

Re: Bone's $500 Challenge

Post by Zak »

More realistic goal would be 100 new players by the end of MWC

Expecting them to play in MWC (which starts in a month) would be ridiculous!
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

but them playing in mwc would be a way for ducky to see if those 100 players are legit since the OM"s actually IP check for it. He isn't about to give 500$ to people trying to make dummy accounts, which you know someone would try doing.
wwo

Post by wwo »

Can't put any links here or Mnet will disown us, but everyone should rip and zip their M2 cd, host it anywhere, and include a link to mnet and the tain. You want people to play this game, you have to make it possible. Bargain bins are gone and this game wouldn't still be in them anyway.
cremisi

Post by cremisi »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EwOUi4JDC4o[/youtube]

sounds familiar ? the new bungie game destiny has warlocks rangers knights and the story line is very myth like it even has the fallen lords as an enemy
par73

Post by par73 »

you should be paying 5 dollars to every new player instead heh
Chohan

Post by Chohan »

Sigh i'll set up a script just to prove how easy it will be, setting up image dumps with torrent dl links for game. I expect payment in full when accomplished.

Pogue

Post by Pogue »

Ducky I'm confused why you started this contest when you could try to get 100 new mythers yourself and keep your $500....
bone

Post by bone »

That's like asking why people pay $30-$50 for a steak at a restaurant, when you could buy and cook the damn thing yourself for, like, $15. People use money to get the things they don't want to do themselves. --> Duh <--

Not to mention the added benefits of, I dunno, more than one person potentially working on this, instead of just me. That's kind of the whole point of a contest. I'm sorry, now I'm confused, are the reasons for doing this too obvious? Or were you joking when you said you don't understand? Honestly, what a question.

Also, tired of people talking about how to get new players. I could count on one hand the people that put in actual effort towards Myth. The rest are all bark and no bite.

If you can get the players, I'll get you the cash

edit: here's the link to the free Myth download (that's another thing. why do people still care about posting this on marius? doesn't practically no traffic go through that website? what, are you hoping new players just randomly googling things one day stumble across marius.net and decide "wow! this looks fun! if only I had some way of downloading this incredible game I'm reading about on the community foru---" whatever. I don't know, I don't get it):

iutgea32.free.fr/myth/english2

less work for you.

and there's a torrent somewhere, I think the link is on myth2.com
falcon

Post by falcon »

www.myth2.us

Also ducky, what if I bring on 30 ppl. Do I get 150$?
Just being curious.
par73

Post by par73 »

No falcon you get nothing but responsibility for bringing 30 capable or not people online to play myth.
Which is exactly why this "challenge" is nothing but a waste of time and a mockery of something productive for myth. if anyone wants to waste their time attempting to recruit 100 people for "500$" by my guest for falling for a troll ploy, but realize if ducky really wanted 100 people to come and play myth, and find out how hard it is to do it, he could find the time to do it himself.

everyone should be doing their own (volunteered) part trying to contact people who might have interest in playing over the summer (and into the future), not relying on some sort of payment for it.

ill willed.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

bone wrote:That's like asking why people pay $30-$50 for a steak at a restaurant, when you could buy and cook the damn thing yourself for, like, $15. People use money to get the things they don't want to do themselves. --> Duh <--

Not to mention the added benefits of, I dunno, more than one person potentially working on this, instead of just me. That's kind of the whole point of a contest. I'm sorry, now I'm confused, are the reasons for doing this too obvious? Or were you joking when you said you don't understand? Honestly, what a question.

Also, tired of people talking about how to get new players. I could count on one hand the people that put in actual effort towards Myth. The rest are all bark and no bite.

If you can get the players, I'll get you the cash

edit: here's the link to the free Myth download (that's another thing. why do people still care about posting this on marius? doesn't practically no traffic go through that website? what, are you hoping new players just randomly googling things one day stumble across marius.net and decide "wow! this looks fun! if only I had some way of downloading this incredible game I'm reading about on the community foru---" whatever. I don't know, I don't get it):

iutgea32.free.fr/myth/english2

less work for you.

and there's a torrent somewhere, I think the link is on myth2.com
I commend you for writing something I was never going to read past the first sentence. You need to catch a reader's attention early on brah.
Vantobia

Post by Vantobia »

I threw this together and posted this on a few popular Aussie gaming forums, i have done before too and usually get a few people keen from it -will see this time. Feel free to copy and paste it to somewhere you think would be good. It contains links to some of Newmutators films and his youtube page that shows info on how to get the game and registration information.

-----

Hey all, a heads up for any old players or new poeple looking at trying something AWESOME !!!! Dont believe me ? Check out this link ->

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60F4Jros ... Zw&index=1

-It shows some competetive online myth 2 play – gametype is capture the flag – teams try to capture the other teams flag while protecting their own. The guy who shoutcasts these films -NewMutator; does this kind of thing often for myth 2 competitions.

Myth 2 World Cup 2013 is a few weeks away, it is currently in registration phase with many teams starting to form already. You can sign up and play on the same team with up to 6 other people, against other teams the same size. There is around 50-80 people involved in the Myth world cup every year !!!

Battles are intense, very strategic and rewarding when all goes to plan. Give it a try. I garentee you have not played anything quiet like it. This game has been played for over 12 years now by many, which says a lot about its quality.

*****Information about the game, download location and instructions as well as registation site for online play can be found at this link (on the right hand side of the page) You can watch a whole heap of myth 2 videos here as well.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NewMutator?feature=watch

A popular site containing discussion forums for the game, as well as team applications etc for Myth World cup can be found here -

http://thegjol.com

Feel free to ask me questions here (or PM) about the game or how to get started. Cheers.

-----
Zak

Post by Zak »

I updated the download for myth on this popular abandonware site, if it helps anybody in their attempt at that $500: http://macintoshgarden.org/games/myth-ii-soulblighter

How is that reddit spamming going crun?
Vantobia

Post by Vantobia »

I have had a few interested peeps get in contact me about the game. Hopefully a few old/new faces will show up around the traps
rawr

Post by rawr »

ducky get on bro, i got a spot for you on my team! legit, wtc style homie!