The future of 2 team maps

Hosted by The Committee
Cartographer00

The future of 2 team maps

Post by Cartographer00 »

As the myth playerbase continues to shrink, it becomes more of a struggle to field 7 players for tournament matches. This has led to a consolidation of teams, and of consistent players. One solution is to make mwc a 5v5 tournament, or something close to that.

However this will lower the overall skill of the participants as they are asked to handle a larger number of units than they are accustomed to. However if maps had the number of units reduced so that there are only enough units for 5 players, then that could solve the issue.

But this begs the question, how many points should a map have? How do you safely balance maps for 5v5 without causing gameplay issues? Are some maps too big for this? Are there smaller maps that can be convered to 2 team if there are less units and players?

Post feedback on this idea, including your ideas on how to balance myth for smaller 2 team rosters
Universomyth

Re: The future of 2 team maps

Post by Universomyth »

The player base is actually increasing (hard to believe). I would simply add "alternative maps" for MWC QR, say, if less than 5 people show up for a team they play the smaller map. That said, the issue isn't really one you can solve from a map makers perspective, it's a commitment and leadership issue.

People just don't have car factor high enough to give a fuck showing up.

Bottom line.
Cartographer01

Post by Cartographer01 »

The odds of having the same or more teams in the following MWC are slim if we continue on our current trend of 7v7 matches. The salary cap this year helped spread the talent out a little bit but it caused a lot of drama. A cap on the number of players in a match is a much more realistic approach. This will also spread the talent out in a similar manner to a salary cap, as there won't be a need to have a 16 player team roster when you can only field 5 people. Even with less consistent people that only show up every other week.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I think you can't sell the players short, and assume a minimal level of competence. As far as "how many points", taking a basic ffa set is a good start. Naturally there's a range of difficulty, from Gimble or Demise at the bottom, up to Venice or PG at the top. So if I were creating a 5v5 map, I would have 4 "ffa sets", then adjust based on terrain and how I wanted the map to play.
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

There are some maps that play and split beautifully for 5 already.

Ex: Grilling Grounds - ctf, lmoth

Too lazy to look for more but there are already plenty. An example of a map that is bad for 5 is something like Vertigo FG.

Of course, the quality of game will always rely on having quality players.

I do agree with wwo, some basic sets are already good for low 2t. Maybe instead of toning down large maps you could boost small maps.

Ex: Add a few extra points to PG. Remove the pillars. Then maybe give an option for an extra warlock. BOOM! Perfect 5v5.
Hmp1

Post by Hmp1 »

A nice way of doing this would be to scale the amount of units based on difficulty level. You could also potentially edit the internal string list for difficulty levels so leg is renamed 8v8, heroic 7v7, normal 6v6, etc.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Post by c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ »

I like hmp's idea quite a lot.

Also, a Small 2t / 1v1 map pack has been long overdue...
Assmodian

Post by Assmodian »

We should be doing the opposite. Get magma to go to 32 player cap and make super maps accordingly.
spoon

Post by spoon »

I agree with HMP that scaling the number of players based on "difficulty" selection would be an awesome idea.

I also agree that bumping up the number of players allowed in a game could lead in interesting new directions and help the community. It would make plugs like Big Team Battles and War Of Reckoning more viable.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I did the difficulty/numbers on (my 6 start ffa map) Duelism. Timid is a small fixed set for newbs, up to Leg which is specifically for small 2t like 3v3.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

DOUBLE THE AMOUNT OF UNITS/POINTS TRADING FOR THAT CHANGES WITH DIFFICULTY SETTING DUH MORANS

Last bumped by Anonymous on 13 Dec 2018, 17:01.