New GoS Accounts!

Old news relating to the messageboard
punkUser

New GoS Accounts!

Post by punkUser »

Alright guys, the new account system is live on the web site! Please visit http://metaserver.gateofstorms.net:8082/account/ to link your account to your forum account and receive new credentials for logging into the metaserver.

NOTES:
1) You won't be able to log in to the metaserver with your forum credentials anymore

2) You will need to "log in via Steam" on a new Account page on the web site, then either link your Steam account to an existing forum account (by entering the credentials there), or create a "new" account.

3) Once you have done this, you'll be given a set of credentials on the web site to use in Myth to log in. These credentials will effectively just be a random token so I'd recommend "saving" them in client when you log in to avoid having to reference the site every time. If you do ever forget them though you can just log back in via steam on the web site and it will show you again.

4) GoS will then respect your player nick name, team name, etc. as entered in the client. It will no longer be locked to your username (as folks voted). NOTE: If you haven't updated myth recently you may not have the nick name field. Go update to 1.8.1 and it should show up again. In 1.8.1 you can also click people's names in their Stats screen and it will take you to their metaserver page.

5) At this point registration on the forums will be disabled to avoid confusion. The forums themselves will remain up for a while for folks who already have an account, but when this transition happens your forums account is effectively separate from your Steam/metaserver account. Eventually the forums will move to Myrgard so feel free to start moving content over there in the mean time subject to wonka's merging plans.

6) After people have been given a few months to link their legacy accounts to the new Steam-based login setup, this option will likely be removed to simplify the whole process which will then just be: log in via steam -> get credentials for the metaserver.

It should be pretty simple for everyone to do and it's effectively a one-time thing. The main thing to note is to be careful to link or create an account as you desire as there is no way to undo the linking process. Note that nothing compels you to link your account even if you already have one here - the only purpose is to keep continuity on your user page and stats with games you've already played. If you'd prefer to just "start over" on that front, feel free to just "create" a new account when prompted instead of linking.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: GoS Account Transition

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I am lost. I do not understand what any of that means.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:I am lost. I do not understand what any of that means.
It should be clearer when you see it. It's really not that complicated - you'll basically just click a button to log in via Steam on the web site (similar to how you'd log in via Facebook or Google or whatever else), then enter your forum credentials to "link" your account. Once that is done it'll show you a username/password to use in Myth 2 to log in. That's really it.
par73

Post by par73 »

so is garnish going to need 5 different steam accounts, one personal and 4 for autohosts?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

par73 wrote:so is garnish going to need 5 different steam accounts, one personal and 4 for autohosts?
If he wants to autohost in ranked rooms, yes. But remember a few things:
1) autohosting only really makes sense in unranked rooms in the first place due to the uncontrollable nature of autohost
2) autohosting is less important now that the host proxy support is in place in 1.8.1 - anyone can host now, it will always work (it's still preferable to port forward, but it will fallback to a path that always works)
3) it's no harder to get N steam accounts than N forum accounts really. The point here is to avoid the security and other implications of having a separate set of credentials stored at GoS and instead just let someone else handle that.
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

as a sidenote, enhancing the autohost functionality so that others can access and control the game options using someone else's host would be kind of cool. Might not be too hard to do either. The proxy host is simply not practical currently because it adds at least 200 ms ping, which is pretty significant. It is playable usually, but not enjoyable to play on.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Giant Killer General wrote:as a sidenote, enhancing the autohost functionality so that others can access and control the game options using someone else's host would be kind of cool. Might not be too hard to do either.
Nothing is going to get added to autohost at this point - it's a messy feature that is hard to modify and better done in a completely different manner (i.e. more modern networking code).
Giant Killer General wrote: The proxy host is simply not practical currently because it adds at least 200 ms ping, which is pretty significant. It is playable usually, but not enjoyable to play on.
It depends a lot where you and the host live. The metaserver proxy is currently hosted in US West Coast so if you and the autohost live in europe, a round trip through the USA is going to bad compared to a direct connection. On the other hand, if you or the host live near the US west coast the added latency should be much less significant.

As I stated it is possible to put proxies in other parts of the world to improve the situation somewhat, but it would cost money (maybe $5/month/proxy) which is hard for me to justify without community buy-in.

Ultimately the latency situation in the proxy is best addressed by modernizing the client's networking code with NAT traversal (attempts) and a switch to UDP. This can be done, but it's a relatively large amount of development and testing and activity in the client development is fairly slow at the moment. With more modern networking code there would be no advantage to autohost, even if it happened to be nearby.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Ok the update will be going live today! The ability to link your account and get your new credentials is already live. Click the new "account" link at the top and follow the instructions.
Lord---Scary Owl

Re: New GoS Accounts!

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

So can we keep our original name if we want
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Lord---Scary Owl wrote:So can we keep our original name if we want
Yes, if you "link" your account everything stays the same really - all your new games and such continue to show up on your games page. After the update you can change your nickname each login as you wish regardless just like classic Bungie.net.
sei

Post by sei »

Hello, i already created my steam account.
It is sei_lar.

Whats next thing to do? I put this logn and pw at myth and didnt work. What do i need do to login in at gos again?
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

So, what's the address for the new forums then?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

sei wrote: Whats next thing to do? I put this logn and pw at myth and didnt work. What do i need do to login in at gos again?
Read the top post - you need to click "account" at the top and follow the instructions from there.

Pogue: Current plan is new forums will live at http://www.myrgard.com/. TBD on details of what is migrating (obviously we'll get the posts over there somehow, but unclear on the plan for migrating all user accounts or similar.)
wwo

Post by wwo »

Steam didn't send a confirmation email, but I was able to finish the process and sign in to GoS anyway. Just an fyi.
Yankee

Post by Yankee »

Let me get this straight. I have to have a Steam account to play myth now?
The65

Post by The65 »

Can I get a link to whatever Myrgard is?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Yankee wrote:Let me get this straight. I have to have a Steam account to play myth now?
You can always play as a guest with very few differences these days. If you want to register for whatever reason then yes, you need a Steam account. You do not have to install Steam, but you do need to register for an account (easier than even registering for the forums here...).

Myrgard is at... http://www.myrgard.com/ big surprise :)
The65

Post by The65 »

:) So does that mean this game will be on steam soon? :)
That would be really awesome.
Also the link for the account creation is broken right now.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

The65 wrote::) So does that mean this game will be on steam soon? :)
No, this is unrelated. It's the equivalent of "log in via facebook, google, etc".
The65 wrote:Also the link for the account creation is broken right now.
Oh weird, thanks for the heads up. Should be fixed now. Will have to try and track down what happened.
Brandon_Hex

Post by Brandon_Hex »

Once you create an account, just log in as guest/guest. Without rank and so few players there is no reason to even have an actual account, if this all seems complicated. Just sign up and log in as a guest to the server to play myth.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Brandon_Hex wrote:Once you create an account, just log in as guest/guest. Without rank and so few players there is no reason to even have an actual account, if this all seems complicated. Just sign up and log in as a guest to the server to play myth.
I totally agree with this - there are very few limitations on guests, and none that apply to regular day to day play.

Minor correction though - log in as [whatever username] but *leave password blank* to log in as a guest.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Due to an unfortunate set of circumstances, most of you guys will likely have to relink/create your accounts on the GoS web page next time you log in. You won't have lost anything (colors, etc), but you just have to do the process one more time from the site. If you never had a GoS forum account, just create a "new" account on the site.

Once folks have done this we can switch over to the simpler system where it just automatically generates credentials once you log in via Steam vs. the awkward "link to forum account" option there is today, since forum registration has been locked for some time.

Again, sorry for the inconvenience.
Vasazel

Post by Vasazel »

I relinked my steam account, but I still can't seem to log into the metaserver using the username and password I have at the profile section of my Myrgard account. Could you clarify the process once more?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

If you've gotten to the part where it gives you a username/login you should be good. Enter that exactly as shown into the fields when logging in. Remember to enter the "u#####" thing as your login, *not* your nick name. Beyond that, hard to know - careful of misreading some stuff in the font (1's vs l's or similar).
Yankee

Post by Yankee »

This is all a lot of tedious BS for playing a tired old computer game
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

As noted, I'd highly encourage you guys just to play as guests when not doing tournament stuff anyways. There's really no downside to that.
Vasazel

Post by Vasazel »

punkUser wrote:If you've gotten to the part where it gives you a username/login you should be good.
I guess the issue is that myrgard didn't provide me with the new set of login credentials after i relinked my steam account with my forum account.
The old set of credentials do not work anymore. Not sure how to generate new ones.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

You can always get your credentials at any time by just going to GoS and clicking Account.
Vasazel

Post by Vasazel »

That worked. Thanks!
Vasazel ~∂eer~

Post by Vasazel ~∂eer~ »

Lost my sweet #425 login though
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

Why are my username and password not working for GoS? They have always worked now they just don't?!
par73

Post by par73 »

everyone has to redo their account pw for steam due to the server update. same process as before:
gate of storms -> forums -> login -> account -> use pw provided after linking steam account
wwo2

Post by wwo2 »

Nevermind. This is some amateur shit.
RANDOM BADASS MOFO

PUNK, HOW ABOUT A RESET !

Post by RANDOM BADASS MOFO »

PUNKUSER, PLEASE GIVE US A RESET!!!!!!!!!!! THIS WOULD GENERATE MORE GAMES.
fuck

Post by fuck »

No it won't you stupid fuck.
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

Hi my login/pw stopped working.
Username Flatline...................I had userid 72.
WHen I went to get the pw again it gave me a new userid of 70k+.......
How do I get my old userid back with a working password?
shinco

Post by shinco »

My account no longer works for some reason. I was actually wanting to log in and play a game.

What gives?

shinco
garnish

Post by garnish »

You may need to create a new account at gateofstorms.net using Steam verification
shinco

Post by shinco »

garnish wrote:You may need to create a new account at gateofstorms.net using Steam verification
I did that before. I need to do it again?

shinco
garnish

Post by garnish »

So you logged in through Steam and GoS gave you a login and password but it's not working?
Hadzenegger

Post by Hadzenegger »

Same thing happened to me, it sent me a new account and password for some reason. So I retired - fahk steam lulol
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Or just log in as a guest......... (this should be a bot by this point).
shinco

Post by shinco »

Any resolve to these issues still?

shinco
par73

Post by par73 »

works fine

bert
shadow

Post by shadow »

time flies
especially in an opium den
DariusM2700

Post by DariusM2700 »

Is the server still active? I am clicking on the links posted to create an account and getting a blank page.
par73

Post by par73 »

yes
par73

Post by par73 »

you might have an ad-blocker preventing the steam login window to appear, that link should send you to a secure page to complete the account creation process.