Warm Welcome

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
DoctorOates

Warm Welcome

Post by DoctorOates »

Just wanted to post real quick and talk about how as a huge Myth fan that's played through TFL and Soulblighter many many times over the course of 15 years or so, I think it's really neat how unwelcoming the people in this community are.

So I've played like 5 games total in multiplayer. I never really played it when I was younger but thought I'd give it a try earlier today, seemed fun to contribute to keeping a great game alive. So I'm made captain, purposefully, so I can "learn" or whatever. Great. I love learning. Then I detach units and then when the game starts the units revert to my control despite my not hitting any key or making that choice, as far as I'm aware.

Then when I try to ask in the chat why that happened so that we can not waste time and have it happen again, I'm booted.

This is more of a rhetorical question than anything else, because I don't expect any of you to provide an answer or answer in a mature way, but what is the point of my checking "ready" and starting the game, when I'm still Captain and I don't know how to prevent the units from reverting to my control. Why can't we take 15 seconds and someone explain the way captaining works in the chat. I get that everyone is impatient for the game to start, but if you insist on making me Captain, which I have made clear I do not know how to do, that is going to slow down the game at one point or another and it may as well be in the chat.

Anyway, I assume you don't want anyone new to be a part of the community, which is absolutely fine, looks like you got a good thing going and don't need extra people, just make that clear up front on the FAQ portion of the Gate of Storms site or something. You won't have to deal with new people and you'll get back to the game faster; it'll save potential new players and the current players a lot of their time.

Thanks.
Wank

Re: Warm Welcome

Post by Wank »

DoctorOates wrote:Just wanted to post real quick and talk about how as a huge Myth fan that's played through TFL and Soulblighter many many times over the course of 15 years or so, I think it's really neat how unwelcoming the people in this community are.

So I've played like 5 games total in multiplayer. I never really played it when I was younger but thought I'd give it a try earlier today, seemed fun to contribute to keeping a great game alive. So I'm made captain, purposefully, so I can "learn" or whatever. Great. I love learning. Then I detach units and then when the game starts the units revert to my control despite my not hitting any key or making that choice, as far as I'm aware.

Then when I try to ask in the chat why that happened so that we can not waste time and have it happen again, I'm booted.

This is more of a rhetorical question than anything else, because I don't expect any of you to provide an answer or answer in a mature way, but what is the point of my checking "ready" and starting the game, when I'm still Captain and I don't know how to prevent the units from reverting to my control. Why can't we take 15 seconds and someone explain the way captaining works in the chat. I get that everyone is impatient for the game to start, but if you insist on making me Captain, which I have made clear I do not know how to do, that is going to slow down the game at one point or another and it may as well be in the chat.

Anyway, I assume you don't want anyone new to be a part of the community, which is absolutely fine, looks like you got a good thing going and don't need extra people, just make that clear up front on the FAQ portion of the Gate of Storms site or something. You won't have to deal with new people and you'll get back to the game faster; it'll save potential new players and the current players a lot of their time.

Thanks.
But then how are we going to get newbs whining on the forum about how they came back, sucked and got booted?
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

The units wouldn't just revert back to your control unless you had them selected and pressed "\", or the players gave them back to you. Just grow some thick skin and keep trying... everybody that is still around has gone through the same thing at one point or another.
Zak

Post by Zak »

Go play HoTS if you want to hold hands and sing kumbaya. We only want the strongest gamers
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

DoctorOates wrote:Just wanted to post real quick and talk about how as a huge Myth fan that's played through TFL and Soulblighter many many times over the course of 15 years or so, I think it's really neat how unwelcoming the people in this community are.

Thanks.
As Adrenaline said, units won't randomly go back under your control after you've detached them. One of the following happened.

1. They gave you the units back (you'll see and hear units received if so).
2. They left the game.

If you want to keep playing you're best off learning to captain ASAP since you'll end up doing so sooner or later. Try joining others if you can't captain yet (don't keep joining them if they disband the team) and note what they trade for and how they're splitting the units up. Giving one player 16 archers is obviously a bad idea and some people on your team will be worse than others but that's just something you have to learn over time.

Always join Adrenaline or Arzenic if they're in the game, they love captaining! (if you're desperate join Paris).
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

I was in the game on his team

The units went back to him (we didn't give them back) and instead of giving us the units back right away he sat there for a minute telling us 'how did these units come to me' 'I didn't do it' soo slowly
RodeKi11

Post by RodeKi11 »

He has a point..... I'll just say this. Go to an unranked room and play some games by yourself so you can learn about the maps and game types then start thinking about how and why certain trades work better than others on each map. Check your controls again to be sure you understand which key dispatches units --- if you had edited your controls, like I assume most people do, it may not be "\" anymore. As a captain you can both dispatch units and take them back to redistribute them how you like. This game has been around for ages. It's a great game that DOES need more players to join the community. It's just up to you to respond to the immature insults with similar banter, or to whine, or to not let it bother you. If you are in a random rabble game and are not confident with captaining, let everyone know and ask who is willing to captain.... then pay attention to how they trade and communicate during games with their teams. I recommend smaller maps so you don't have to worry about dispatching units to 7 other guys. You'll get there...
Coca-Cola

Post by Coca-Cola »

I was in the game and your representation of it is kind of twisted but understandable.

First of all, most "new" players on this game are just people pretending, so everyone is a little dubious if you claim that. Blame that on players that do that type of thing just to troll. 9/10 times that is what is happening.

Next, I actually did try to explain to you how to captain. Either you handed the units out before pressing OK, or you accidently selected them and pressed \ again. As captain, you can take the units on your team back the same way in which you give them.

It was my idea to let you captain a couple games in a row to get the hang of handing out units, so I am sorry the host booted you.

Message me in the lobby if you have any general questions or if you want a quick tutorial of the basics.
DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

You should discuss these issues on Myth Discord chat.

https://discord.gg/RgGwC
limp

Post by limp »

pussy
wwo

Post by wwo »

Go here and download films of games you typically want to play in. Write down the average trade for a map. When on that map, trade as quickly as possible. If you're then still unsure or slow, detach all the units to a non-newb who will probably be happy to distribute.

The downside to a small, experienced community is little patience for newbs. The upside is you really don't have to learn as much to not get in the way while you get up to speed.
Arzenic

Post by Arzenic »

screw you dant, screw you
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

Arzenic wrote:screw you dant, screw you
JS