The Gaunlet - Myth 2 TFFA Tournament

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.

should this tournament have an entry fee?

You may select 1 option

View results

par73

The Gaunlet - Myth 2 TFFA Tournament

Post by par73 »

The Gauntlet

A team free for all myth 2 tournament will take place beginning in the Summer (hello summer we will be borrowing you for this)
hopefully leading up to our annual Myth World Cup.

Teams will battle in a winner takes all 500$ cash prize tournament, comprised of 3 players on a roster maximum, 2 in a game maximum, 1 min. This is the first tournament to have a cash prize of this size since Myth World Cup 2008.

Matches will take place on the weekends.
Scoring is simple. Placement nets points, forfeits may net penalties.
The teams with more points move onto the next round, the teams with less may face elimination depending on the size and scale of the tournament round.
There will be at least a 3-week qualifying round period.
Entry fee is zero, dummying illegal, elimination final.

I'm having a little trouble bringing all of the features to The Gauntlet that I had desired.
Regardless, a makeshift The Gauntlet website is now up and active folks! Unless I can get some extra assistance, I won't be able to bring all of the features to the participants and observers that I had wanted. Regardless, I don't want this to run deep into MWC season when we should be celebrating Myth's Greatest Tradition at that time!
Head on over to https://thegauntletsite.wordpress.com/ to check out the action.
Myself and the other organizers involved would love to have those interested in providing their support or input as content creators or bracket hosts/facilitators, please contact me!

If you're looking for a place to talk about the tournament with others, please go to the following link (I will be updating this daily throughout the registration process):
https://discord.gg/0rwel1MPlIXj6egG NEW 5/5
I suggest creating an account on discord so you may reenter the discussion at any time.
Use the discord chat to post messages in regards to looking for a team or complaining about map picks.

If you're looking to register yourself/your team head on over to https://thegauntletsite.wordpress.com/contact/ and fill out the required forms to place your entry in the 500$ contest of carnage!
The data collected in these entry forms will help shape the times and schedules used during the tournament
When does registration begin? june 26th!
the tournament will begin July 23rd and end August 20th.
That is correct, the 500 dollar prize has been reconfirmed to be secure and awaiting champions. Will you be one?

If there are more than 48 entries (8 brackets) registered there will be a qualifying round before the beginning of eliminations. This tournament is the style of qualify/win or go home and fairly concise, lasting no more than a month unless there is a QR in which it will be 5 weeks.

If you are thinking about entering solo to earn the 500$ cash prize for yourself, please consider being able to make each round scheduled (which will be the 4 or 5 weekends following the end of the registration period).

If you are thinking about creating a team to earn the 500$ together, please consider each other's schedules so that at least one player would be present for each round scheduled. The cash prize will be sent via PayPal to the team's captain which will be designated by the player who creates the entry.

Elimination will be final except under the conditions of
  1. a) a designated qualifying round due to a large number of entries,
    b) an entry whom qualifies for a future round posts they/it are/is unable to make their scheduled appearance,
    c) an entry does not show for a future round and a substitute plays
    1. 1) given priority by rank on the website, and cannot subsitute more than two rounds in a row;
      2) Placeholders are also allowed to fill out games when there are no substitutes available; Everyone who places below the placeholder in a game is counted as placing one higher, as if the placeholder did not exist.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Re: The Gaunlet - Myth 2 TFFA Tournament

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Most teams can't afford these rates let alone each Myther.
par73

Post by par73 »

looks like all you trump supports suddenly flew the coop for bernie sanders !!!!

heheaheaheahaeheaheah
par73

Post by par73 »

https://discord.gg/0rwel1MPlIVXA9WC
this invitation is open for 24 hrs to anyone who wants to hop into the real discussion on making this tournament a success.
Chohan

Post by Chohan »

It would be better if it was tournament style 2v2 3v3 games. Certain teams and players would just get hate-fucked in ffa set ups leading them to having a way less chance to fairly win.
shadow

Post by shadow »

Chohan wrote:It would be better if it was tournament style 2v2 3v3 games. Certain teams and players would just get hate-fucked in ffa set ups leading them to having a way less chance to fairly win.
Agree.
FFA/TFFA is all about politics (aka allies&hateplay).
On the other hand, strongest duo/trio (like GKG +EW or Crun or...) will wipe out everything on the way and take the money.
But at least that will be much more fair and interesting.

sup Crun btw
strongarm

Post by strongarm »

quit yer bellyacking, this is the great idea!
Revan

Post by Revan »

I say ban all pro players. Newbs hacking and slashing makes for fun games to watch and play.

See Ether vs Dapper
spoon

Post by spoon »

im back. Any fun/only-semi-give-a-shit teams looking for another guy?
par73

Post by par73 »

https://discord.gg/0rwel1MPlIVXcgIV

the invites remain open for 24 hrs
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

time to get this moving if you want it to be a success. You are going to lose some players after TWS for sure.
par73

Post by par73 »

TWS is between 20 or so people at this point, and for some of those it has never even started but their spots are reserved via rosters. And for about 30 players TWS is already over, I wonder how many are lost already or if it will even matter.
If someone played in TWS, that individual knows myth is still active and there would likely be upcoming events in the year if they would like to spend some of their time continuing to play the game or in these events.

TWS was posted about 3 1/2 months in advance of the first match, I'd say it has worked out well to renew and satisfy the 'myth itch'; I'm not sure how you measure success but TWS has exceeded my expectations.
There are more of those who were interested in TWS being hosted than this tournament being successful from what I can gather from this GoS thread and who joined the discord.
So far on discord there's about 10 people and two who wouldn't reveal their identity for some sort of homo myth community reason which is pretty much unacceptable after Zak and Pogue came out of the closet recently.
If you want to be apart of the momentum moving the tournament, you should join the discussion on discord. I suggest using your actual identity, or at the very least introducing yourself!

I'd like to reach out to the people who suggested we should use an entry fee to join the discussion on discord, they seem to be the ones interested in producing a fair, legitimate and quality event. The value of that input resonates, but the entry fee will remain at zero.

Another link: https://discord.gg/0rwel1MPlIUgribP
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Entree fee would limit the amount of participants for sure. I wouldn't mind paying, but just look at the Myth money matches that went nowhere.
par73

Post by par73 »

Exactly, but certainly would help qwell some dummying / account illegitimacy that can/will take place, adding to that option is people could pay for multiple entries (or that would be outlawed). however, essentially this would put jake in a position where he's paying a 500 dollar entry fee and other participants are paying 1% of that to enter.

i don't think any of those myth money matches suggested had a base cash prize separate from the entry fee, the entry fee would have created the cash prize. if we used an entry fee here, it would more likely go to helping pay the cost for hosting a website than additional compensation for the winners.
none of those entry fee matches ever went anywhere as you said, I can only remember Cu bringing this idea up once before, and from what I do remember it was only to be a single set match or something and players were either too broke or too uninterested to put their money on the line for a competitive event. He might also have been trolling to see who would actually put money down to play myth as he was a prominent anti-care figure in the community during his years, who knows.
On the other hand, all of the tournaments with base cash prize have been fruitful and followed suit until completion (MWCs, Chohan/GKG's 1v1 Tournament challenges). None of those tournaments had entry fees.
Revan

Post by Revan »

I think you'd have better luck just making the next All Star match a pay to play situation.
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

Neeed neeeww inviiite fooor fuuuunk
par73

Post by par73 »

Revan wrote:I think you'd have better luck just making the next All Star match a pay to play situation.
no that is stupid, like changing the traditional time limit of 10 minutes for a king of the hill between 2 teams.

i think you'd have better luck just making the next all star match.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

Make this a one click tourney. Only way it will be remotely interesting.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Pogue wrote:Make this a one click tourney. Only way it will be remotely interesting.

ILL HOST THAT.
V\JaHRaL T.O.A.D.V\

Post by V\JaHRaL T.O.A.D.V\ »

Will they check dotted quads to see if someone is dummying? They could just use a friends house every other time though i know most of you dont have friends. Hah!!

What did Kirk mean by a one click tourney? Like myth theatre sort of stuff?

I always wanted to host a tfl tffa tourney but with the gametypes no one plays... but then no one would play it. Heh
par73

Post by par73 »

Pogue is not Kirk. We have evolved beyond dialup 56k and laggy hosts (for the most part), one click tourneys are a time of the past.

I don't think we'll be using vTFL, it is a Myth 2 FFA/TFFA tournament.

feel free to host your own show and play vTFL tournament/event sometime, try to schedule it during high traffic hours or something.
I participated in the only known vTFL tournament hosted by toxyn, it was a good time.

There will be a variety of ways to find out if someone is dummying. One of the best ways is user report. I'm not looking forward to banning people but it will happen if players want to use more than one account. There are substitute positions for those who sign up and are eliminated. It's not fair to players who only have time to play in one match a week in order to qualify for the finals. Entries, Players/Teams, will only be able to play in one match per weekend. This tournament will likely be 23 games long. The first two weeks will be 10 games, the semi finals wills be 6 games and the finals will be 7 games. If by some magical chance there are more than 48 entries, there will be a qualifying round. Right now there are 48 entries. There would have to be more than 2-3 entries per day to reach the point where we had a qualifying round. Let's see wher this goes.
wwo

Post by wwo »

vTFL was awesome for 1 tourney only, which you, me, and Arzenic won. Rightly so. Thx, tox.

That said, a 1-click tourney would be hilarious if participants were forced to be on Ventrilo during. It's the only reason a sane person would have to team with kirk.
par73

Post by par73 »

UNION OF FAITH defeats TANK CLAN... who else was on our team ?? flatline? rabiez of agents?

a vTFL tourney was awesome for one decade of myth, hence i wouldn't really be against dem's proposed vTFL MWC17.
blue&grey had some relative success seeing as how in the decade where you could run a vTFL tourney you couldn't get a B&G.
I'm surprised there aren't more niche tourneys more often over the years (if you build it, they will come), i find it fun to drop into something new and learn to figure it out.

1-click tourney not as hilarious as you think wwo!
NO FUN we would have done this much sooner if it was fun.
first of all with just one click the best part would most definitely be voice communication between participants/observers.
that would be the best part, listening to the variety of accents and jargon treat the games like a kentucky derby.
but really how good is that? and why doesn't anyone shoutcast the games live? i think that would be great, it was a lot of fun when i did it in tws and i received a lot of positive commentary in regards to it.

so really lets establish what is hilarious is voice commentary during myth action, not the actual boring "1-click tourney". BORING WWO, boring just like that quix trow terries strategy straight out of the 1998 fellowship of stoneheim books where every player involved gets one unit type. the entertainment is the review after (or during), really there may be no better candidate available than wine-slinging wwo creating a channel where he drunkenly comments on active myth games he's hosting.

second of all with an avg of 50% less clicks than the typical tourney game, the participants aren't putting in enough effort to deliver heart wrenching entertainment. thats even more boring.

3rd wtf who would team up in a 1-click tourney that means some games you get zero clicks and we already established those not clicking should be commentating on the live action !!!

4th if you want to watch a 1 click tourney then go look up mwc 1999 films of lower bracket teams, my favorite is when civil plays CMG and CMG goes all mid on cracks terries gets cold feet and somehow loses a downhill battle to 60%. 1 click united!
par73

Post by par73 »

in light of mwc2016, this tournament (the gauntlet) has been postponed to take place later in the summer.
stay tuned

registration reopens june 26th!

the tournament will begin July 23rd and end August 20th.
shadow

Post by shadow »

in light of mwc 2016
muh eyes, so bright
yeah lol
par73

Post by par73 »

shadow wrote:in light of mwc 2016
muh eyes, so bright
yeah lol
i wonder if jake will be looked down upon by americans in the event a russian wins his tournament ! :P