Next year. 20..yes ...20 years since TFL Beta..So MWC 2017

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Rikkµ

Next year. 20..yes ...20 years since TFL Beta..So MWC 2017

Post by Rikkµ »

In March 1997 some of us got one of the first Myth :TFL Beta CD's .one of mine was a white disc with the picture of an Archer on it with his bow drawn , another a Beserk , ( from my memory of it.)
I am not sure where these disc's now is , but I would like to find them.
The Beta disc's were the shape of things to come and consumed many hours of time of the game testers within Dataflow, the software company I was involved with at the time.
Bungie gave us a lot of nice promo stuff at the time.
We all agreed that the game would be a great commercial success, despite Blizzard really pushing Diablo on us for the Australasian market.
At the time many of us liked and preferred the dynamics of Jason Jones and Alex Seropian ,Max Hobermann ,Marty O'Donnell ,etc ,and the gaming visions they had ,as opposed to the sterile corporate position of Blizzard.

So, here we are.
I would like to propose that next year that we have a MWC using TFL , and the following year Myth2 for its 20th year as well.
Anyone interested in collaborating with me on this project would be most welcome.
Prize money and goodies should be far more than normal of course and I would start the ball rolling with $2000.
We could have a signup fee kitty (I have had this experience with other gaming competitions) if people want as well say $5 each with the top 3 teams of course sharing the top spots and also prizes of other as yet unthought of categories (nub death moves, wighting yourself unintentionally etc )
I do think and believe that if we broadcast the community's intentions as such, we would see a marked revival of players both old and new come back to this game and M2 , that they enjoyed and may have forgotten as life cartwheeled away with them from their gaming communities.
Such memories may be often buried and see to see the Light of Day once in a while.
It would also answer the questions of where did everyone go perhaps.

Thankyou for your time .......
.....biatches :)
Honkey

Re: Next year. 20..yes ...20 years since TFL Beta..So MWC

Post by Honkey »

Maybe just tfl maps on myth 2?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Yeah it's not reasonable to expect TFL to work properly on modern systems, and it isn't support on any current metaservers. Better to do vTFL on M2 if desired.
Rikkµ

Post by Rikkµ »

Yes this is true and a no-brainer for running TFL as much as I would like would only create a mad scramble to go get G3 Beige machines etc from Ebay :-)
Nice to see GOS is still running PunkUser.. good job on doing that in the last 2 years since I was afk.
Your work is most admirable.
Honkey, how are you doing? Perhaps we can Get Dor and Rau etc to reform GTM ?
So many names from so long ago as I said; I do wonder where they all are and what they are doing.
Honkey

Post by Honkey »

Those dudes were rarely active in gtm when i joined. I played in the rolling rock/rocket dive/tox days.
DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

Rikku is Cu's favorite poster. You should encourage him to make up with blade, enigman, and kilgrath to reform Cacra.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

Why do all the retards love TFL? Units take forever to turn around and don't go where you want them to. Arty is borderline useless and CBing is fucking gay. TFL really just sucked minus the campaign which was pretty fun.
Rikkµ

Post by Rikkµ »

DBSeeker wrote:Rikku is Cu's favorite poster. You should encourage him to make up with blade, enigman, and kilgrath to reform Cacra.
I do not want to be anyones favourite poster.
In terms of reforming old Orders, hmmmm Civil and FOC ,BMF , SOT,Alliance,Evil Inc,The Companions ,Fellowship of Stoneheim ,DE and AP , Foundation and perhaps MoR spring to mind.

PL and BI were more prominent than Cacra perhaps?

Regardless of this, 2017 could be a year (and should be ) one to revitalise and recover that which has been lost seemingly to the passage of Time as it is.
Rikkµ

Post by Rikkµ »

Pogue wrote:Why do all the retards love TFL? Units take forever to turn around and don't go where you want them to. Arty is borderline useless and CBing is fucking gay. TFL really just sucked minus the campaign which was pretty fun.

TFL maps are infinitely more fun (and playable) on M2.
TFL would be exceedingly difficult to play and host as agreed by PunkUser.
Honkey

Post by Honkey »

perhaps MoR spring to mind.

haha. I remember when GTM knocked them off their perch. To this day if I see Zephyr on I always say "savor the flavor" since that was his response to us dunking them.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Speaking as an experienced Tournament Organizer on Myth if you want something like this to happen you can't wait for collaboration. You need to take the bull by the horns and actually prove to people that you are willing to put in the work to make a MWC come to fruishion. Once you do this more people would most likely be willing to help out and spread the word.
Rikkµ

Post by Rikkµ »

Yes, this is true Asmo.
I put the topic out there to see who is interested in assisting me with this project as I said.
I wish to build a team obviously, so anyone who has experience would be most welcome.
par73

Post by par73 »

wow a 2k tourney for tfl? time for me to make the switch
Honkey

Post by Honkey »

Really thinking about this you have good intentions but I just don't feel even a nice cash prize would yield a tournament field. Anyone who shows up to win money will simply use stacked rosters... which ultimately would limit any prize money to 1 or 2 teams. Realistically you would need to also fold in a draft format. That way several teams could compete and possibly care and captains wouldn't select stupid teams like some have in the past. You'd also likely want ir to be myth 2 with maybe more of a focus on tfl maps in the tournament. Really you are battling 2 things: money won't incentive the crowd if it's just stacked teams... and some players don't care about the money and would rather do a tournament to play with friends. As I have commented jn the past myth needs to focus on building a social community over the gaming community as that's all it has really been for the last 8 years. All efforts have been focused on gaming enhancements or financial incentives whIle ignoring the promotion of the social community. The forums are proof... players who haven't logged in ages still use the forums (myself included). The reason I don't bother logging is the social community is garbage when I play. There should be stuff like dedicated public ts servers to chat during and between games etc. I'm an example of a player who moved on from myth because the people I've made friends with have moved on and choose not to spend my time with the current player base as I'm not really friends with any of them and there really is no medium to become friends. The weirdos that populate the servers are of no interest to me as I feel many fall in the same category as me... the only way we would bother committing to a tournament would be to socialize.
wwo

Post by wwo »

The only reason to have TFL installed is to get stoned and watch that intro screen random battle on Grave.
Renwood

Post by Renwood »

Why are you talking about MWC 2017 which is the MWC after next? Next MWC is 2016
In Myth HD 1.31 on TFL Coop levels we made TFL dorf bottle physics. And real TFL dorfs. So it plays a LOT like TFL did. This also means there is fetch with lighting that makes bottles react to it the way it did in TFL. Would need to add TFL dorfs to all tournament maps that were going to be played.
par73

Post by par73 »

dem you literally have over a year to advertise this and contact old farts, get to work