Hosted games on GOS act like films

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
HMP

Hosted games on GOS act like films

Post by HMP »

When I host a game on GOS myth behaves sort of like I'm watching a film. I can do the extended zoom only available in films, I (and anyone else in the game) cant talk, when I hit esc there is no option to rehost or restart (only quit or resume), and can't move units, and can't band select or double click select. It does this for both coop and multiplayer maps, and also whether I'm the only one in the game or not. Even weirder, it only does this on GOS. If I host a game on TCP/IP it works fine. I can even trade units too.

Here is a screenshot of me zoomed all the way out with the unit trading screen open.

Here's my myth log, notice it says quitting replay at the bottom:

2016-02-18 23:23:16
Myth II Build 427b running under Modern Windows 6.002000 ----------------------------------------------
Loading poweruser.txt... not found.
DEBUG: Updating monolithic tag cache:
Initial count: 201
Number removed: 0
Number added: 0
New count: 201
INFO: ignoring non-required patch file 'Patch 1.4 Interface'
INFO: ignoring non-required patch file 'Patch MariusNet'
DEBUG: Adding 22 monolithic tags:
small install
medium install
large install
international small install
international large install
Patch 1.2
Patch 1.3
Patch 1.4
Patch 1.5
GateofStormsNet
Patch 1.8 Interface
Expanded Interface (LPL)
VISTA font add-on
Patch Templates
Netgame Text Addon
Magma - Detail Texture Megapack
HighLands Texture
hmp forms camera
Great Journey HD Textures
Bogged Down dtex addon
PHHH Detail Textures
Gladiators Armageddon Textures
Scanning for software devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for Direct3D devices...
Found 1 to use
Scanning for DirectX 11 devices...
Found adapter: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970
Found 1 to use
Scanning for 3Dfx devices...
Found 0 to use
Scanning for OpenGL devices...
Found 1 to use
GeForce GTX 970/PCIe/SSE2 | NVIDIA Corporation | OpenGL 4.5
Initializing sound with DirectSound...
Initialized for DirectSound3D using COM
DirectSound initialized successfully.
Establishing connection with metaserver at metaserver.gateofstorms.net:6321...
Connected.
Running DirectX 11 at 1920 x 1080 (VSync ON)
Starting mesh "Willow Creek"...
Using 1.8.0 gameplay...
Quitting replay...
Closing Myth.
Revan

Re: Hosted games on GOS act like films

Post by Revan »

Only thing that caught my attention in that log was something called

hmp forms camera.

What is that?

Make sure local folder is empty.

What are your preferences like? How long has this been happening/what have you done to your myth since it did happen.
HMP

Post by HMP »

Seems it was something with my prefs. No idea how they got messed up though.
par73

Post by par73 »

man if only we could get the extended view in a new patch it would change the meta for the better

the camera view we've all come to love and relish in has provided us with years of tunnel vision entertainment but i think it's time to set the boys free
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

Like ScaryMonster says, that would ruin the balance of the game. Everything made by Bungie/Magma(?) has a balance that will keep the game functioning as it is supposed to. Raising the camera would ruin its intended balance and mess up the gameplay. In a way raising the camera would also lower the current skill level because players would not learn to check their flanks and tunnel visioning problems would not put them through a tough learning experience that shapes players to what they are today. For example: during the Leagues From Somewhere (FG) map mikekhan and I were holding the north side. You (par73) rushed us with massive spiders and soulless. I was on a small hill at the start defending my soulless when you turned your spiders at mike. I was too busy microing to realize EJ was going behind me with some zerks. I was chopped up and impaled. In this case with a larger camera I would have seen EJ come at me and I would've repositioned myself on a larger hill earlier and I would not have gone down so early perhaps changing the game. A larger camera influences some things that we do not realize and some things that would impact the game style/play wholly.
par73

Post by par73 »

i don't know where you got your ideas from but myth is one of the most unbalanced games of all time

i can see what you're saying but some of the 3rd party maps have areas where the vision is utter shit

one part of gaming that keeps a game fresh and exciting is updates and meta changes, whether its the custom formations, preset changes, the territories score change, the pathfinding changes, and even minor things such as a tournament that enforces normal difficulty settings vs one that enforces legendary difficulty settings (yes there is a difference, go figure it out).

and a whole new game type in king of the map wasn't made by bungie or magma yet from your point of view it breaks the balance and the games which use it do not function as they are supposed to?
or is the reality that the game changes?

go watch early b.net films and the b.net patches, sure one can argue that skill evolved over time yada yada, that's not what i mean. ex. the game was designed to be played on dial-up, many players did not have access to internet anywhere near what we've seen in the past 10-13 years. you can't actualize a true comparison to the later eras of myth skill wise or what have you because those players were playing a different game. on patch 1.8.0, we're playing a different game as well. in fact there might not be a better time than ever to introduce a camera more raised and spacious than the next update (if it ever happens), especially with the amount of 3rd party high definition unit and map support this community has.

the rome total war series, which some argue is built entirely off the original myth real time tactical vision supports the capability of an extended spacious view.
The biggest issue i have with watching tunnel vision dependent shit such as MOBAs is because you can't see the entirety of whats going on even if you are keeping up with a mini-map except when there are major team fights or multi-camera views.

if you're going argue that raising the camera would lower the current skill level, then how come previous meta changes help support the idea that 'skill' and 'balance' only improved bungie's original vision and game functioning was never broken?

the fact of the matter is, older computers, which the game was marketed to be used on, would struggle to process a more advanced visual/camera system (and the lag goes beyond the dial-up, the age of sprites).
dac

Post by dac »

par73 wrote:i don't know where you got your ideas from but myth is one of the most unbalanced games of all time
like single player and light vs dark? sure. But pvp? absolutely not. All the units are available to every team, so it's self balancing. Trow should prolly be more than 24 points, myrks should be more than pigs, etc.

The pvp is actually perfectly balanced without any need to maintain it. It's why it's still so good with no dev input all these years later.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

dac wrote:
par73 wrote:i don't know where you got your ideas from but myth is one of the most unbalanced games of all time
like single player and light vs dark? sure. But pvp? absolutely not. All the units are available to every team, so it's self balancing. Trow should prolly be more than 24 points, myrks should be more than pigs, etc.

The pvp is actually perfectly balanced without any need to maintain it. It's why it's still so good with no dev input all these years later.
Didn't read any of this thread other than these few lines, but completely agree with Dac. I'm not sure why paris thinks Moba's (dota) are more balanced than myth. Moba's have 100 + champions with all different abilities. That in itself already makes the game less balanced.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

par73 wrote:man if only we could get the extended view in a new patch it would change the meta for the better

the camera view we've all come to love and relish in has provided us with years of tunnel vision entertainment but i think it's time to set the boys free
love you Paris, but only you bro :lol: . I watched your stream and the amount of attention you put into looking at the map other than just the unit set you're currently controlling is bronze level :shock:
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

If par is bronze then you are rusty iron

A rusty iron circle stretched out by all of your gay Mormon friends
par73

Post by par73 »

its funny while i was streaming the games i captained (the ones you're talking about) i was thinking how a device registering eye movements would only do justice.

how can you tell where i'm looking, oh great and all knowing asmodian the mormon goddess of the sunshine state? can't you see its too much effort to push m2 capabilities beyond the bronze level?

but anyway :)

let's talk about myth balance

you could say i differ.

here's my response if you want to sit through more than a few lines of text (seems to take quite the effort these days)

http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3128