Shoutcast for Myth All-Star Match

Giant Killer General

Shoutcast for Myth All-Star Match

Post by Giant Killer General »

True to my word, I did a shoutcast for the all-star match.

I was joined by East Wind, Dac, and Limp.

I was having some technical issues with my ventrilo cutting out so I believe my voice will be heard okay but ew, dac, and limp's voices cut-out at some points. So apologies for that, hopefully it isn't too bad.

Otherwise enjoy!

EDIT - I added all the videos into a single playlist:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYY6xyAu2jo&list=PLfJsnDFrsj2yxlIjMXUEsD0IEFOCrFHo8&index=1
par73

Re: Shoutcast for Myth All-Star Match

Post by par73 »

great work guys

gkg are you using direct 3d or open gl when you are shoutcasting/playing ?

direct 3d and doubling your bitrate might yield a better quality, looks great regardless!

g1 myrk vs gekko
i feel like the auto click would have been in range for the dwarf

perhaps the geometry of the map perhaps bugged the throw, oh well though
Revan

Post by Revan »

"Prestigious" Hah.

GKG sounds very bored and like the stereotype white boy stoner.

Limp sounds like a blast to hang around.. reminds me sorta of Tweek from south park.

No landscape textures for any maps? classic myth purist I guess.. would've been nice to see a higher quality of Myth during these matches.

Good games though, looked fun.

Personally I think it would be better to have multiple players recording their games live (not exactly streaming just recording them play it in first person view)

Getting to see the action from some of your perspectives instead of just flying around free roam camera looking for the money shots.

The 5th and 7th map were very pretty.

The 1st map just didn't look on par with the quality of the others.. meh.

GGs
switch

Post by switch »

Really interesting guys! Great to hear the behind the scenes strategizing and the tactical minutiae side by side with the multi cast! Keep it up GKG, et all.
Giant Killer General

Revan ~I play myth for the maps

If you want to point out to me where these textures are and how they work, I will consider putting them in. I know nothing about them.

Recording a large 2t match while it is being played has been done before. I did it while capping the TWS13 Finals against Dantski: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfJsnDFrsj2xIPnKBZILmKRZeAGGq-YY-

I haven't done it again since then because it does create lag. You definitely cannot do it when you are hosting. And the lag and/or delay created by it is a bit risky. Plus it can be a bit distracting.

I use open GL. In the past I tried using both openGL and direct3d before and there was a reason I chose open GL, but I can't remember what it was anymore and it may no longer apply. I just tried switching to direct 3d and I don't notice any difference though, so not sure what it does. I guess I can try direct3d out again and see if there is any difference.
par73

Post by par73 »

when i record using open broadcast software the quality is worse with opengl than direct 3d by a long shot (while the info bar remains rendered as perfect as it would on direct 3d)
Giant Killer General

okay yea I think I do see the difference just in the recording at least, direct 3d does seem better. I don't think the difference is as significant for me as it is for you though, so might be something else going on there too. I can def use it next time though.
Revan

Post by Revan »

Giant Killer General wrote:Revan ~I play myth for the maps

If you want to point out to me where these textures are and how they work, I will consider putting them in. I know nothing about them.

Recording a large 2t match while it is being played has been done before. I did it while capping the TWS13 Finals against Dantski: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfJsnDFrsj2xIPnKBZILmKRZeAGGq-YY-

I haven't done it again since then because it does create lag. You definitely cannot do it when you are hosting. And the lag and/or delay created by it is a bit risky. Plus it can be a bit distracting.
Play Myth for the maps?
uhm.

Lag is fair enough, usually wouldn't cause any if you have a decent computer rig.
Giant Killer General

And yea, I had to muffle myself a little bit for the shout cast because we did it late at night and my wife was sleeping in another room. I didn't think it would be too noticeable though.
switch

Post by switch »

I find Revan's textures too distracting, honestly. I've been over this with limp before, but I prefer Magma textures.

GKG's hyper minimalism with regard to map textures was a surprise to me, but I guess it makes sense- no point going for the bells and whistles when its all about the game play anyway.

I do think having some hi-res textures is a must for shoutcasting though. After all, you want to show off both the game's intense gameplay and quality (highly mod-able) engine.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Giant Killer General wrote: I use open GL. In the past I tried using both openGL and direct3d before and there was a reason I chose open GL, but I can't remember what it was anymore and it may no longer apply.
Note that there's a difference between "Direct3D" and "DirectX 11". The former is a legacy API that you shouldn't use, the latter is comparable to GL. Use either OpenGL or DirectX 11 on modern systems, either is fine and they both should be listed as "recommended" in the options.
Giant Killer General

ah that makes sense punk. maybe last i looked at it was before directx 11 was even an option, so I was thinking of direct3d before. I assume paris meant directx 11.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Fairly good analysis and shoutcast. Some awkward silences lol... but good shit overall.
switch

Post by switch »

LOL DAC called out GKG on game 7 hard. Soooo many excuses. GKG goes into full dmg control (to be fair, saying things like, "I fucked up again"), but also hating on BOC and blaming other people (such as Argos), as usual. Epic ego at stake, talk about player psychology, sooo tight.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

No but seriously... what the fuck was Argos doing running away from that mid push instead of helping it? haha. He did well that game otherwise, but that was definitely a mistake.
Giant Killer General

just FYI the minor awkward silences were mostly just a combination of ventrilo issues on my end. For some reason my vent ping was spiking and it was causing either massive delay between my end and everyone elses, or I would temporarily lose connection causing everyone else to cut out for me. I was getting clicking noises later on too, not sure what was causing it, maybe some interference in my headphones or something. Will try to fix for next time.

switch ~boc was pro guys

I was quite merciful in letting BOC play at all.
switch

Post by switch »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68jAfiXmsUA[/youtube]

I just couldn't resit.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

Giant Killer General wrote:my wife was sleeping in another room.
I don't buy that for one second.
dac

Post by dac »

Pogue wrote:
Giant Killer General wrote:my wife was sleeping in another room.
I don't buy that for one second.
:o

100% confirmed
Giant Killer General

There was some very good conversations that took place in between games that were not recorded as well. I think part of it was people knowing they weren't being recorded, but not sure if it would be better to include everything inbetween as part of the recording as well. Something to think about for the next group shoutcast.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I think you need an antagonist within the cast to make things more interesting. I'd gladly play that role next time you do a cast. Dac did provide some color, though.
argos

Post by argos »

to start, yes i fucked up. I was pussing a duff s and tunnel visioning that shit hardcore to avoid getting naded, didnt see gkg screaming at me until the 3rd time or so. first i was N, helping everyone piledrive adren when he pushed into our base, then I went to help arz S when limp said that he needed help (i said "going s" in the game and didnt hear a no).

i do agree with gkg that i should have seen that limp was getting attacked and supported him. it all comes back to awareness

ggs overall and i really enjoyed these games. nice job on the shoutcast too
Ratking

Post by Ratking »

Haven't checked this out yet but I would love to join the next one!
Revan

Post by Revan »

switch wrote:I find Revan's textures too distracting, honestly. I've been over this with limp before, but I prefer Magma textures.

GKG's hyper minimalism with regard to map textures was a surprise to me, but I guess it makes sense- no point going for the bells and whistles when its all about the game play anyway.

I do think having some hi-res textures is a must for shoutcasting though. After all, you want to show off both the game's intense gameplay and quality (highly mod-able) engine.

It's just distracting first few times like you're so used getting the same thing on the menu you don't want to try out anything else.
After you've seen all the updates you get used to it and then there's no going back. I can't play any maps without some kind of textures anymore.

I just don't like seeing that argument against them.

Personal taste for no textures would've been a better comment since magma's textures barely add any detail.

Least there's options :p

No textures, magmas, hi res, other peoples etc. enjoy!
dac

Post by dac »

adrenaline wrote:I think you need an antagonist within the cast to make things more interesting. I'd gladly play that role next time you do a cast. Dac did provide some color, though.
EW, like every other Indian in the world, is just too nice (love ya bro). It would be interesting to hear a couple of people get into heated exchanges but there was mostly a lot of agreeing on what happened. I tried to stick up for a few people here and there when I could though, and the post excuses for g7 had to be pointed out lol.

It's also hard to get fiery and defend yourself after a 5-2 series. I think a kickball might yield better results, in fact iirc the original idea was to have two "cores" of 4 players and then kickball the last 2-4 slots depending on who was available but that seems to have been abandoned.

Hope to get more quality games in again sometime, it's fun when caps strat before a match like this and the picks were solid. I want to see more fetch/styg meshes played or even created, there's one on caer iirc that's highly underplayed (its caer or keep, forget which one)
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I'd honestly like to do another match like this again, soon. It's really the only way to get 2 full teams of good players together at one time. If we take the match at face value, it really meant nothing other than that.

I'll even cap a team just to prove I can. And trust me, I can.
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

adrenaline wrote:I'd honestly like to do another match like this again, soon. It's really the only way to get 2 full teams of good players together at one time. If we take the match at face value, it really meant nothing other than that.

2 weeks later...

Renwood 7-0 Adren

Adren ~ But my roster was worse and attendance was terrible and the maps were unbalanced and I was drunk and and and.....
par73

Post by par73 »

And he had Dantski on his team!
Honkey

Post by Honkey »

Why people dont use voice comms is still beyond me. yeah its weird at first but it makes communication so much easier.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Dantski wrote:
adrenaline wrote:I'd honestly like to do another match like this again, soon. It's really the only way to get 2 full teams of good players together at one time. If we take the match at face value, it really meant nothing other than that.

2 weeks later...

Renwood 7-0 Adren

Adren ~ But my roster was worse and attendance was terrible and the maps were unbalanced and I was drunk and and and.....
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Revan wrote:
I just don't like seeing that argument against them.
Bro you need to focus on the detailed texture of your own game play before you focus on detailed textures of maps. ::virtual high five::
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

That was actually funny dant lol... I'm not even mad!
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

adrenaline wrote:That was actually funny dant lol... I'm not even mad!
hooray! :D
switch

Post by switch »

Gkg were you wearing a headset mic? It definitely sounded like your mic cable (attached to the headphones?) was causing the clicking you described.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Looking forward to checking this out