Myth All-Star Invitational

Giant Killer General

Myth All-Star Invitational

Post by Giant Killer General »

I will be organizing an All-Star invitational match. We will put all of the best current active players into the same game, under good captains to give the best organization for each team's respective efforts. The purpose of this match is to recreate the feel of a (good) mwc finals match, and in general to just get a couple hours of some good, smooth, fun, high-quality myth games without any drama. And for the few of us that still care to compete, to give an opportunity to test our mettle against the other best teams and players.

Here is what you need to know:

-The match will take place on Sunday, September 13th at 1 pm EST (2 weeks from today, 1 week after Asmo's Draft tourney finals)
-This is only a single, one-time match (not a full tournament)
-It is expected to take 2 to 2.5 hours
-Team rosters will be formed ahead of time to ensure the best and most fun possible match for everyone (rosters listed below)
-Asmo and I will be captaining each respective team and organizing strategies. All other players only need to show up and play.
-It will be a 7 game series (maps listed below)
-It will be 6v6 at minimum (more if available)
-If this is successful then I may do recurring series of similar matches in the future (around once a month or so), and do a shoutcast of the match afterwards to provide additional myth content

Asmo and I have already agreed on rosters in what we believe will make for the most fun and fair match (listed below). We tried to put people together with their preferred teammates. If you really really want to switch teams for some reason then let us know.

Players were chosen at the discretion of Asmo and I (since we will be putting in the time to organize strategies, etc.) based on skill, activity, consistency, overall value to a team, etc. If you are not listed on either roster then you are welcome to still show up but there is no guarantee that you will play (particularly if we already have 6v6, up to captains' discretion). It is not expected that everyone on the rosters will be able to show, but each roster has some fat built into it to accommodate less than perfect attendance. Rosters are subject to change based on attendance at match time to keep the teams fair.

Over the next week or 2, please respond here in this thread if you are interested in participating in this (to "sign up") or if not interested / won't be available at the scheduled time, etc. so we can get an idea of what attendance will be like. Also please help spread the word to other invitees who may not check the forums regularly.

Asmo, Limp and I went thru nearly every plugin with a fine comb to give you guys an all new series of map/gametypes that have not been featured in an mwc before (at least none in recent memory) that should also be quite good. Map picks are below. You will likely have to download most of them as they are very new. The links to downloads are included. Please be sure to download them ahead of the match so there is no delay for everyone.

MAP PICKS:

1. Shattered earth (heron) - terries, 12 mins
2. Sticks and stones (dark) – FR, 12 mins
3. Cursed earth – CTF (plagued lands), 12 mins
4. Broken Javelin (dark) – Assassin (grim’s mappack), 12 mins
5. Sleepyhollow (trow) - KOTM, 12 mins
6. Leagues from somewhere (FG) – FR, 12 mins
7. Ranked and Defiled (classic) – KOTM, 12 mins, heroic difficulty

TEAM ROSTERS:

Team 1:
GKG
Arz
Gekko
Chron
Dac
Limp
Ska
Samuel

Team 2:
Asmo
Dantski
Tirri
EW
Crun
Adren
Rawr
Ratking
Myrk
Ratking

Re: Myth All-Star Invitational

Post by Ratking »

Looks like it will be fun. How many games?
limp

Post by limp »

i'm in
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

No Grim? this is blasphemy.
rawr

Post by rawr »

Sounds good
Chohan

Post by Chohan »

Sounds fun. (monkey)
dac

Post by dac »

I'm in.
Arzenic

Post by Arzenic »

I'll show up, but will probably be tired / in a hangover because my birthday is on saturday
tirri

Post by tirri »

i will show up if kids happen to have fallen asleep by then and we haven't done anything too tiring during the day. also am pretty disappointed that this isn't a super all-star match between phod and rab
limp

Post by limp »

No Ghengis? I feel like he would be interested in this.
Giant Killer General

Well anyone can let him know about it and if he shows I am sure Asmo or I would find a spot for him. Just not really expecting anything otherwise.
Gekko

Post by Gekko »

I'm in!
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Dantski wrote:out
Is that because of the time or are you just not interested?
Captain

Post by Captain »

I didn't even make the list?:(
Giant Killer General

Asmo, Limp and I went thru nearly every plugin with a fine comb to give you guys an all new exciting series of map/gametypes that have not been featured in an mwc before (at least none in recent memory), and they should also be quite good. Map picks are below. You will likely have to download most of them as they are pretty new. The links to downloads are included. Please be sure to download them ahead of the match so there is no delay for everyone.

1. Shattered earth (heron) - terries
2. Sticks and stones (trow) – FR
3. Cursed earth – CTF (cursed land)
4. Broken Javelin (dark) – Assassin (grim’s mappack)
5. Sleepyhollow (trow) - KOTM
6. Leagues from somewhere (FG) – FR
7. Ranked and Defiled (classic) – KOTM (heroic difficulty)
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I should be able to show by then
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

Asmodian wrote:
Dantski wrote:out
Is that because of the time or are you just not interested?
the latter
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

P.S. team 2 is silly stacked... is this to compensate for the captain disparity? Honestly I think this is gonna be a pretty 1-sided match if any of these games come down to a straight up BC fest, unless GKG goes completely ham every game.

Edit: dant not playing evens the odds a bit I guess
East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

I'm not a 100% but I'll def. try
Flatline

Post by Flatline »

I find it strange Paris is notably absent from the list of players.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Is myrk still trying to win his first SOMETHING at myth? LOL
wwo

Post by wwo »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Is myrk still trying to win his first SOMETHING at myth? LOL
Didn't he get a mwc with gkg some time in the last 3 years?
dac

Post by dac »

wwo wrote:
BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:Is myrk still trying to win his first SOMETHING at myth? LOL
Didn't he get a mwc with gkg some time in the last 3 years?
Yep, I powerbrokered a deal to bring myrk into tmnt 1 when we both decided that our mutual faggotry towards each other was actually cute.

I broke the myrk curse. That's right.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

LOL highly doubtful. Too bad any MWC after 2011 has been illegitimate anyway.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

Kirk~ I won the first and last MWC's...and every one in between.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Pogue wrote:Kirk~ I won the first and last MWC's...and every one in between.

ska

Post by ska »

Pretty sure I can make it, ty for the invite GKG :)
Giant Killer General

Sweet will be good to have u there ska.

Attendance is looking super good so far. I have heard from everyone but Myrk and Chron so far.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

BIG KROK V8 SS wrote:
Pogue wrote:Kirk~ I won the first and last MWC's...and every one in between.

LOL SULLY.
Giant Killer General

Just a reminder again that the match is this Sunday at 1pm EST. Also please download all of the maps at some point ahead of time (they are linked in the original post) as there are a few that you likely or certainly do not have and we want to keep the match moving along smoothly.

Attendance is still looking really good. Dantski is the only certain no-show at this point. Sam is a complete unknown unknown, and Tirri is a known unknown. Everyone else said either they will for sure be there, or something along the lines that they would be there if nothing came up for them but they didn't expect anything would. Also unknown is the reliability of Gekko's internet connection since he started disconnecting constantly in the draft finals and had to stop playing mid-match.

It is looking like it will be a 7v7, give or take a person. 8v8 still possible but it feels fairly unlikely to have all the planets align for that situation. I suspect 1 or 2 people will have something come up.

Also just want to mention that Punkuser mentioned that his sister may be interested in doing a shoutcast of the match (she did the myth 1.8 video before that got a bunch of views). Others and myself would likely be involved as well.
rawr

Post by rawr »

I AM EXCITED FOR THIS OPPURTUNITY.. GOOD LUCK AND LET THE BEST TEAM WIN!
Giant Killer General

Last reminder and update: match is tomorrow at 1pm EST. Dantski and Sam are confirmed no-shows. Gekko and Tirri will likely show up but unknown if they will be able to play. Ghengis might show up as well according to limp.

PLEASE DOWNLOAD ALL OF THE MAPS BEFORE THE MATCH TIME

Anyone can show up but only the best 14 players for 7v7 as picked by the captains (Asmo and I) will play.

See you all there.
Lord---Scary Owl

my amazing play vs rawr qualifies me for dant's spot
Chron1

Post by Chron1 »

Something has come up last minute and I will not be able to attend. I might be able to get on around noon PST.
Giant Killer General

I just fixed the wrong link for leagues from somewhere.

Download it here:

http://tain.totalcodex.net/items/show/leagues-from-somewhere

For plagued lands go to this link below to the list of MWC07 maps then click "Cursed Earth" under Week 8 maps

http://www.mythgaming.net/mwc2007/rules.php?page=maps

Sorry about that
VieForPower

Post by VieForPower »

You know guys, all open games are invitational by definition.

Your little gathering is more just an exclusive event.

Should have properly titled it "gkg and his idiot friends every Sunday"
Giant Killer General

The Myth All-Star Invitational has ended. The final result was 5-2: with Team 1 winning over Team 2

The final attendance and team rosters were:

Team 1: (Winners)
GKG
Arz
Limp
Dac
Paris
Gekko (for 5 games)
Argos
BOC (replaced Gekko for the last 2 games)

Team 2:
Asmo (Captained 5 games)
East Wind
Cruniac
Adrenaline
Myrk (for 5 games)
Rawr
Ratking (Captained 2 games)
Slate (replaced Myrk for 2 games)

Final attendance was a little lower than expected, but we were able to use some subs to fill in for 7v7 games. So we did let others play!

I know everyone on my team had a blast, and pulled off some fun strats. Asmo's team might dispute how fun the games were, but overall I would say the event was a success, and I think everyone was willing to do it again. All of the map picks were good and played out just fine as well.

There will be a shoutcast of the match later as well.

Thanks to all that participated. We might do it again in another month or two.
Lord---Scary Owl

was BOC on myth steroids to be allowed?
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Those games were a goddamn joke. It is blatantly obvious that GKG has a much firmer grasp on strategy, tactics, trades, etc than Asmo... as the games clearly show. I don't even think Asmo will deny this, as he gave up captaining for the last 2 games.

Game #1 - Decent. Team GKG had a more sound strat, but overall it was a good, competitive game.
Game #2 - Decent. Similar strats and the game was very close. Team Asmo won, thanks to a good mid push by EW and co.
Game #3 - I'd have to rewatch to see what went wrong, but it seemed like team GKG had more artillery and that worked heavily in their favor.
Game #4 - I chimped hard and lost the East flank... not sure what happened mid, but ya... I fucked up. It is bloody hard to block lock shots with fetch from 3 angles, and I was an idiot for even trying.
Game #5 - Turns out splitting trow is not a good idea... Trow + mellee pack can't push for shit vs fetch + locks + mellee and eventually team GKG was able to wear down team Asmo and secure victory. 2 trow together can fuck up a mellee pack, 1 trow + mellee cant do shit against a mellee pack + fetch. GKG clearly has a better understanding of this than Asmo.
Game #6 - Are the starts on this really unbalanced or something? It really seemed like team GKG had a massive hill advantage NE and we were truly unable to counter it. Not sure what else went on, but it looked like splitting FG was a bad idea, too.
Game #7 - Ratking pulls a #YOLO strat out of his ass and it somehow works. I got myself cornered near the enemy spawn, but that somehow managed to distract 80% of their forces allowing us to collect mad flag time. Chimping or pimping? I didn't intend to get pinched/raped so hard, but I honestly think it worked out to our advantage somehow.

So, in conclusion, I think GKG clearly showed that he could out strat the fuck out of Asmo, even with a possibly weaker roster on paper. Game #1 especially was telling... such a small map obviously giving the advantage to a mellee rush and asmo decides to go with heavy bows... Would have thought he had a better understanding of GKG's tactics and planned accordingly. Being that no one else on our team had played that map in forever or bothered to look at it beforehand, no one said anything.. but it became pretty damn obvious when team GKG set up the rush.

In conclusion... GKG = #1 captain, Ratking = #2 captain, Asmo = #19 captain, behind pretty much anyone with a shred of intelligence and an ability to trade/distribute within 3 minutes.

I am drunk and fuck you for reading this.
Giant Killer General

Lulz. Good analysis for games 1-5, poor analysis for games 6 and 7.

The shoutcast of the match is up now as well: http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=2948
par73

Post by par73 »

pick 7 really weird for kotm
mid typically a key point to control but no flags there!
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

game 1 - myrk full on derps modes first second losing 4 of the most important units. He then ask for more units so I give him both of my puss which he then does nothing with and can't even kill their last duf bc he clearly clicks on it instead of control clicking the ground.

game 2 - We actually did nothing completely retarded for once. Correction just remembered adren took a bunch of useless spears to his trow for no reason over and over again, but luckily the others team arty might as well just tabed out for the whole game.

game 3 - rat,rawr & adren(Adren out of position again WELL THAT'S A SHOCKER) all roll over first seconds of the game even though gkg's rush trade should get pooped on. Arz has the same unit set that GKG does on the other side of the map and it's against half the units but does nothing bc he isn't going against a derp player.

game 4 - Rat loses west hill super easy. The side that should have been able to push for us which is east adren goes full chimp and doesn't know how to stagger fetch shots to block art. I tab out when everything has gone to hell seeing that the games are clearly going to be decided on bad play. I'm basically check out of the match at this point because of derp players and too many distractions.

Those were some good games [LOL]

Adren stick to twitch games in the future if you decide to pick up something new because the second you go away from anything in myth other than 1v1 which is pretty much the closest thing to twitch gaming you become awful.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

LOL bitter much?

game #1 - get more bows and less thrall, idiot.

game #2 - a bunch of useless spears? do you mean while i was positioning my mort to take out gekko's mort and arzenic's lock? ya, those few spears really fucked us. Oh, and a sidenote... your captaining prowess was really showcased when you got a wight on a map with no where to sink it. You clearly did your homework.

game #3 - how the fuck was i out of position? your exact orders were "arcs mid". and how the fuck would his rush trade get shit on?? we had 6 zerks mid vs way more mellee and puss. We did exactly as much as we could do, given that your strat was absolute garbage. You were simply out-captained here... but please, continuing shifting blame to others.

game #4 - I already stated that I sucked this game, but it may be more important to note that Paris played exceptionally well with his warlocks. I challenge you to push with 3 fetch against 3 locks and a mort. Go ahead, try it. My mistake was trying to push it at all. Probably should have just held my ground.

As for the rest of you bullshit about sticking to twitch games... just LOL. Ya, I did not have a spectacular match... and I'd hardly expect to considering I hardly play any more. Go look at my MWC performances before talking shit, mor(m)on.

All this match did was show once and for all that you are not an elite captain, as you so often claim. You trades/strats were sub-par for the most part, and your in-game leadership was basically absent. GKG fucking schooled you in every conceivable way here. You didn't check out because of sub-par play, you checked out because you were getting shit on in the captaining role. You literally did NOTHING that any other myther could not have done as a captain. We could have randomed the captains every game and had the same, if not better, results.

Again, PLEASE take everything I said here and try to deflect the blame from yourself onto others. That's definitely what Myth's #2 captain would do.
Giant Killer General

sorry but asmo, are you suggesting that no errors in strategy were made on your end? I hope not because that would be a rather ridiculous thing to say, and I don't think anyone would support that statement.

In game 3, you can run those same trades against each other, and the rush trade wins 99 times out of 100. Archers are useless. It is also insane to say anyone can be out of a position on such a small map, and against a rush that is literally coming from everywhere at once. Maybe some people could have done better but that is such an insignificant factor compared to the trade. Also the reason arz didn't rush in has everything to do with arz being too passive and nothing to do with the guy controlling the 1 lock and 1 mort he is up against. Arz made an error and should have simply just have gone in and been able to steamroll that, especially with limp in position to help pinch it nicely. Regardless none it mattered.

Game 4 - are you suggesting rat should have been able to hold the west hill? Again, that would be another ridiculous thing to say. The only hope of holding west hill might have been to have mid help pinch it from the water with lock support. As far as the east, as we discussed on the shoutcast, adren's mistake was not using his melee advantage foremost to push a rush. It is going to be super difficult or impossible for 3 fetch to block against 3 locks vs a smart player. Gekko has souls and morts in support as well.

I really hope that is not what you are trying to suggest!

I agree with adrenaline, which is a rare thing indeed.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Thrall wasn't an issue. Myrk suciding 4 of the most powerful and fast units on the map was (and his puss in the process). Myth is rock paper scissors. They go heavy arc you get around them & into their backfield to tag or you surround them and pinch those archers (thanks for teaching adren rawr). You adjust your play according to their setup, but after 10+ years of myth you haven't figured that out.

Yes those spears. You can't control more than 1 unit set at a time? You got out played hard by GKG on that flank, luckily our art crushed. It appeared the wight could be sunk, but oh well I'm not going to test ever little thing on a myth 2 map when this game is dead and the level of competition on this game isn't good. Thankfully there is other games with millions of players that allows me to play with/against players of my same caliber.

You take orders to the extreme because you don't understand the game. If you see a rush mid do you keep walking arcs mid because that was the order? No any person with a brain gets their art spread so they can rape the rush and make it so they can't easily block your shots.

There isn't such thing as elite in this game, The player base is too small to sift good from bad, so you just take what you have to work with and make the best out of it.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Giant Killer General wrote: Game 4 - are you suggesting rat should have been able to hold the west hill? Again, that would be another ridiculous thing to say.
It's fine if he loses the hill, but in the process with the position he has he should be able to do massive amounts of dmg (good ratios not raw#'s). So you trade position for damage.
Giant Killer General wrote:sorry but asmo, are you suggesting that no errors in strategy were made on your end? I hope not because that would be a rather ridiculous thing to say, and I don't think anyone would support that statement.

Of course there was, my point is it doesn't really matter because the player base on this game is straight up wood 5 division. So most of the time it doesn't matter the trade or the strat because someone on one team or another is going to straight up derp it before the real intricacies of strat & tactics can play out.

Anyways I'm done with this thread. I really don't care about trying to convince the whole other 30 players that play this game on one point or another. People on this game hardly read chat and don't use voice chat on a highly oriented team game it's just laughable. I'm just going to play for fun which is what I have always done(despite what people may think), all my other shenanigans on the forums and in-game are and mostly have always been to keep interest in a dead game that just happens to be great.

-AsmoTrowBeltdian
-2nd greatest captain/strategist
-true mwc15 MVP