MVP Watch™ - Week 2

Asmodian

MVP Watch™ - Week 2

Post by Asmodian »

Week 1 - http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=89&t=2904
Asmodian wrote:I will be tracking the MVP race from week to week based on the best individual performances throughout the first 3 weeks to see who gets the MVP award.

1-5 = the games. example 1 ='s acts of cruelty 5 ='s Hver
Green = The player had a good performance
Yellow = The player did his role, but didn't make enough plays that pushed his team closer to victory.
Red = The player made minor/major blunders that negatively affected his team

Week 1 Power Rankings

1. Dantski 1 2 3 4 5
2. Arzenic 1 2 3 4 5
3. Chron 1 2 3
4. Myrk 1 2 3 4 5
5. Limp 1 2 3 4 5
5. Cruniac 1 2 3 4 5
5. Tirri 1 2 3 4 5
5. Asmo 1 2 3 4 5
9. Ratking 1 2 3 4 5

Dantski: Played solid in all 5 games and had good communication,positioning & unit control.

Arzenic: Played solid in all 5 games and had amazing communication, good positioning & unit control. He also taught everyone else who has been scrubbing it up on souls in MWC & the first round of this draft tournament how you actually soul in game 3 on Milj.

Chron: He played just as good as the 2 candidates above him. He did great on melee, made good decisions and communicated well. He had to leave early for the last two games, which puts him below Dantski and Arz.

Myrk: He was one of the more consistent players during the first week of the tournament. He won his team Lichen with good melee on the home flag of par’s team when it appeared that that game was over. His second good performance came in Hver where him and Dantski had a good melee/trow fight vs Tirri. Winning the melee fight allowed Myrk to get a few flags and put pressure on team Par through the game type. Myrk’s worst performance (which I give him a slight pass) was on Mijilphobia. He lost 2 fetch to 1 zerk; he had 9 or so zerks right by him in support, which could have easily saved him, but those zerks were controlled by TSG and appeared to be AFK? Lesson learned Myrk, do not trust tsg to save you.

Limp: He's the hardest player to judge that put himself on the MVP watch after week one. He didn't take major roles, but for the most part he made good in-game calls of his team and did a well job of making sure units were covered that slipped into their backfield. His one poor performance was on Lichen where he failed as captain to get his team to tag their own south flag before the opponents did.

Cruniac: Cruniac was pretty consistent throughout the whole match. He didn't have as many really good performances as other MVP candidates, but at the same time he didn't have any performances that had a negative effect on his team.

Tirri: Tirri played pretty well despite having not played at all since MWC 2014. He didn't have any performances that heavy tilted the favor for his team, but he did what he was suppose to and provided solid play. His 1 bad performance came in game 1 where he got his FG killed by thrall due to bad positioning. The death of his FG might have potentially cost his team that game.

Asmo: Took a more Heavy hitting oriented role as captain, which limited him in making good calls as a captain, but performed pretty well for the most part. The bad performance came in game 4 where I did a strategy that was too complicated for 5 players and I lost 22 AFK thralls because I took too many units.

Ratking: Ratking was pretty consistent throughout the whole match, but had less 'good' performances than other MVP candidates (expect for Cruniac, but cruniac also didn't have a poor performance). The 1 poor performance Ratking had was on Hver where he chose a bad Trow fight at the end of the game when his team had an advantage. This fight swung the game in favor of his opponents.
Week 2 Power Rankings (the highlighted games are for this week, but the order of the players power ranking is based on both weeks combined.

1. Dantski 12345
2. Chron 12345
3. Arzenic 12345
4. Tirri 12345
5. Asmodian 12345
6. Cruniac 12345
6. Adrenaline 12345
8. Myrk 12345
8. Ratking 12345

Players dropped from rankings: Limp - Can't help your team win if you don't show
Players added to rankings: Adrenaline

Dantski: He was fairly consistent week 2 yet again, but the performance was not as strong as his week 1 performance. His best play came in game 3 ctf where his team was pushed back to his flag, but he pulled off an effective rush against the opponents souls/melee to make it so his team could hold the last flag and secure a tie. The questionable performance he had in game 5 where he and murk got out of position allowing themselves to get rushed and putting their team don drastically in %'s early on in the game.

Note: I'll take this time to teach some basics to the young bloods for what separates some good players. Dantski got an yellow(average) rating for his game 5 performance despite getting out of position and losing most of his units to a rush. The reasoning for this is because he minimized his loses and pulled out some melee which tagged throughout the whole game thus playing a vital part in a very close win on KOTM. On the other hand Myrk fully committed when he got out of position, not being able to salvage any of his melee at all, which led to him getting a red rating (bad performance) for game 5.

Chron: Chron along with Adrenaline were the top performers in week two. Chron continues to impress me as he did in week 1 with the in-game awareness he has been showing. Chron has been my best player just on the fact that he has pretty much been my back seat captain, making smart strategical calls (wether it be his units or directing the team). Also Chron has been doing well at BC, which everyone has alas known he has been good at. Chron's best performance came in game 2 where he got a good lock shot on Dantski's archers from the side, allowing his team to easily hold mid. His one questionable performance came in game 3, where he didn't trow to the level needed to secure the win, but at the same time was in no danger of really losing the game.

The only thing separating him and Dantski from the top spot atm are the two games that Chron missed week 1.

Arzenic: His performance was also not as strong as week 1, but understandably so since he was put in a pretty bad situations due to limp not show other than the last game. Despite being put in captaining duties last minute Arz performed pretty consistently and never really had a bad game from a unit control perspective. His best game probably came in game 1 where he did a wise trow split quickly to counter the opponents trow flank that broke off from mid. Covering the trow flank in time allowed his team to hold their last flag before time ran out.

Tirri: Despite his teams poor performance he actually propelled himself in the MVP race. His one questionable performance came on Barrens where he really didn't do much, but I'm going to give him a pass on this because he did the right thing tactically for what he was given, but was put in a horrible situation by his captain. He was left alone on the east side of the map and he did his best to pressure mid, but was against 6+ archers and locks with a small force. His stand out performance came in game 1, which his team won. He and his team were put in yet another bad situation strategy wise, but tirri made a smart move to go for the last flag with the trow and secured his team the win.

Asmodian: I feel like I was pretty consistent throughout every game in week 2. I wouldn't say I was a standout performer, but I feel like I gave my team a pretty good opportunity from the captaining position to win all 5 games this week. I think my best performance came in game 2 on Barrens where I effectively put side pressure on their mid archers allowing my team to easily take mid and just camp it. The game I wish I would have performed better was on CTF, I along with my teammates souls were rushed by Dantski and I felt like I could have done a much better job meleeing/trowing the fight that would have allowed my team to win comfortably.

Cruniac: Credit is where credit is due, he helped his team get a 4-1 victory allowing them to decide their on fate for a finals birth if they beat Limp & company week 3. Despite the comfortable win I feel like Cruniac was a bit inconsistent in these games. His worst performance came in game 1 where he decided to kick some of the other teams mid units with his trowing instead of shadowing tirri's trow. This allowed tirri's trow to slip by mid and get the last flag pretty much uncontested. His best performance came in game 2 where he effectively held off most the opposing teams units from getting to mid with his archers.

Adrenaline: After having a pretty mediocre week 1 performance Adrenaline showed up big in week 2 for his team, setting them up for an all or nothing week 3 match and also propelling himself as the only new face in the MVP watch. Adrenaline pretty much out BCed the other team in every game allowing his team to get big % leads. His best performance imo came in game 5 where he did an effective dwarf/melee push on the other team allowing his team to gain map control and win the tag game. His one performance that left a little bit to be desire was game 1. He was mid and pretty much did nothing since his team got flagged so quick. I would have liked to see Adren realize what was happening game 1 and leave mid earlier to try and help his team secure their south flag.

Myrk: After having a very solid and consistent week 1 performance, which put him near the top of the MVP watch list Myrk put in a performance week 2 that left much to be desired of him. He actually started off the match well having a strong performance game 1 where he vastly out trowed Slate at mid, which was the difference in his team winning the game. His worst performance came in game 5(despite his team winning). He got his rush units out of position at the start and lost all his units very early in the game without being able to salvage any melee to use as taters on KOTM. His week 1 performance is still good enough to keep him in the MVP watch list for the time being.

Ratking: looking purely at numbers people who don't understand myth at a high level might think that raking didn't do well this week, but in reality he was actually very solid and consistent. Ratking played about as well as he could of with the cards that were dealt to him by his captain. I can't think of one poor performance that he had this week, which is very good for him considering the situation. His best performance came on game 2 where he was the only player on his team that BCed well enough for his team to have any shot of winning the game.

rant: It's very disappointing to see that tirrisarus are pretty much eliminated from the finals (unless 2 miracle sweeps happen) despite their teams best players performing at a very high level. On paper this team probably has the second best roster, but this team is showing the importance the captain plays on the game. At the very least a captain needs to have a half-decent trade/distribution that allows his team win games. In week 2 Paris did neither of these 2 and posted and all time worst ratio for a match as far as I can remember. 8 dmg done - 189 dmg taken for a .042 dmg ratio.
switch

Re: MVP Watch™ - Week 2

Post by switch »

Not sure what you're smoking, Asmo, but Myrk played way better than you, IIRC. Just sayin.

Another excellent job on the MVP stats, really appreciate you doing these, bro. :ugeek:
par73

Post by par73 »

Big hate from smo, I think I should at least a be featured as a LVP. Give me a spotlight next week

Here's my break down as a an LVP performer

Game one we had the superior strategy and unit trade, so superior cruniacs team saw it, saw us win mid from the north, get a free rehost and do little to adjust to it and get broken by it. They could do nothing even after we made terrible mistakes mid, North is always favored in that map for this reason of the mid tag on FR and artillery and souls can be stranded the majority of the time. The game types of whirlwind and tamaerlin should have been swapped IMO.

Game two we didn't trade for archs and basically fed units all game. We really had no business engaging, but I set the tone for that early on by throwing a mort to a warlock , people kept playing and died and repeating yourself about playing passive until the final minutes is overrated. Our flank players did great but zak started lagging out and I never took his units, me not taking control here pretty much unleashes out of control zak mentality for the rest of the game as we all know he is a ravage beast. It's clear shaister never made the strategy for NC as, Cu doesn't have to play myth to know what is going to happen on myth anymore, perhaps donning him Greatest of All Time in terms of US players and strategists.

Game three has a huge melee advantage and was the superior strat by far albeit executed. I second guessed myself because Sam said something and I noticed our players hesitating on what to do. If we were stopped mid we were supposed to flush north and never adjusted and in the moment of hesitation I told everyone to go. Switch made some graphic where Sam says lol Phil charge and I say go but the reality is we were backing off to adjust and never did.
Is the trade and strategy superior ? Yes but bum rushing souls and artillery at a choke point is not the way to do it and choking on your orders because you become distracted is just another part of the game.

Game 4 and 5 are fairly null because at this point I'm not even concentrating on what's going on in myth 2 ( I don't think anyone else was either) and I'm finishing unit trades after planning time. I told everyone to go east in game 4 and instead you have ratking go west and others going mid-west, i think tirri and kk listened here. once I see this happening it's pretty obvious to me my role had shifted after game one from captain to baby sitter. Game 5 pretty similar except less investment, morale, and all the kids have gone loose! I pretty much have full blame for every loss by not considering the limitless possibilities of what can go wrong, but I think giving a shit

Overall less than half the games were ggs and I apologize to all the observing professional myth critics for giving them nothing to marvelous to look at for their most favorite underdog team in the tournament.

Everyone has been calling this team my team even after it's named after another player and there are 7 other players on it. fortunately for the observers and critics, the captain will be going down with the ship next weekend and I will be captaining all 5 games again.

The current tournament format is too serious in nature of elimination for my players actually to be invested in playing or each other at this point, pretty much fating Asmo's team to match up against Limp's team. The bright side here is this is Asmo's Fantasy Draft Tournament and can simply change the rules for the QR games to reflect Single Elimination Seeding for week 4 and run two matches on that day (best of 3 then 5), That would be like letting Slate up on a Grave Lmoth, but I don't think it's fair to have one of the three top teams in the tournament be held ransom by the least performing team in the tournament. Some team's are completely different on paper week to week; it would be tough to say the same teams playing in the finals are the ones who played to get there unless it was the same players.

Sam I'll be in NH in an hour after a long ride in and from NY be sure to hit me up on the book
tirri

Post by tirri »

here is my take on the match

i'm terribly disappointed in my playing and Asmo just gave me good ratings here as a carrot to show up next week. I probably won't show however since we are moving and i fear we won't be settled on sunday yet but who knows.

i feel like i can't give near 100% in matches anymore. our baby boy is very cool and easy but likes to wake up at 3am so i've been sleep deprived for months. on the night of sat-sun the boy went to sleep at 1am and woke up before 6am. then we spent the whole day out and went to an amusement park. at 8pm (match time) i was ridiculously tired and almost fell asleep but forced myself to go to the computer anyway to GET SOME ME-TIME. the reason why i'm silent during pre game chat is because my elbows are on the table and im facepalming my hands trying hard not to fall asleep. when i get fed up with the chat baffoonery i'll yell something like LETS P;ALY. also add in the fact that i've played less than a handfull of games in the past year.

then take that stupid trow map where we were supposed to push through mid. people hesitate, par yells to push, par says back, sam yells CHARGE, par says go or something like that. I have 3 trows and we are pushing into 3 locks, morts, souls. i feel like i need to block a lot of stuff with my trows.
in this kind of situation, in these kind of circumstances MY BRAIN LITERALLY SHUTS DOWN. even if i could possibly do the moves physically, my brain isn't even close to functioning well enough. now add in the fact that i feel like other people listen to par's instructions even worse than me and watching people just walk straight to death I GET DEPRESSED AS HELL.

obviously i never would have had kids if i knew it would affect my myth career so much
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

par73 wrote:Big hate from smo, I think I should at least a be featured as a LVP. Give me a spotlight next week
You said you were the LVP not me ;) . It's not hate just calling it how I see it. Stick to what you are good at in myth I'm not sure why you trying to reinvent your game as a captain/strategist when you have proven that isn't your strength over the years.

LOL that's probably one of the better post I have seen in awhile, thank you Tirri.
tirri wrote:obviously i never would have had kids if i knew it would affect my myth career so much
If/when there is ever another tournament or some sort of All-star match I will be your Mr Miyagi and you will be my Karate Kid. We will prove to the world that you can be a top tier dad & myth player.

Myrk

Post by Myrk »

I watched the replay of game 5 and yeah it was pretty bad. Didn't notice dant was backing off and engaged when I should have backed.
par73

Post by par73 »

Hey hey now smo, no one else wanted to step up as a captain on my team until perhaps now; You made the team, not anyone else !

It's tough to hear tirri may not be able to contribute his full attention to our team strategy sessions, walk through and match next week. He is most definitely one of the better listeners on our team, you can tell his wife landed a winner thereby cock blocking the rest of the myth community. It is no wonder grim no longer plays.
wwo

Post by wwo »

par73 wrote:Hey hey now smo, no one else wanted to step up as a captain on my team until perhaps now; You made the team, not anyone else !
This is fairly relevant. Asmo should've distributed the captain-capable players first (2 per team), then the rest according to bc-ability. Still, you people are taking something (dis)organized for fun and trying to pretend it's all serious business now. That's like going to an improv theater and complaining that no one followed the (non-existent) script. This is when Blunder otW and Play otW need to be highlighted. This other stuff is just rehashing old, personal, unentertaining shit that will never be resolved.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

I gave them Ratking, I think that's fair and in all honesty there isn't even enough quality captains to go around with who signed up.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I guess it's harder to tell who's going to show up as well. There are few other experienced tourney captains in there, but limp's team is just disproportionately stacked in that regard. Even if they could all be considered rusty in that capacity currently, the myth IQ+awareness+experience combined there is more than a little skewed. Who did you intend to be captain on Crun's team? Browning's the only one that is remotely possible at that position, and he's still behind limp's 3 co-captains even if he were active (which he's not?).
limp

Post by limp »

team paris can knock team asmo out of the finals if they win 5-0, that should be motivation enough to play.
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

limp wrote:team paris can knock team asmo out of the finals if they win 5-0, that should be motivation enough to play.
and team crun needs to at least win 3-2 to be in first
dac

Post by dac »

limp wrote:team paris can knock team asmo out of the finals if they win 5-0, that should be motivation enough to play.
Just for you limp, I'll probably mazz during match time next week. If anybody wants to join me anyways.

GG tourney. Enjoy the 5-0 smomo.
par73

Post by par73 »

Maybe if we were faggots. Speaking of faggots

@Wwo
next time I'll be sure to pack an extra sack of butt wipes for when you shit yourself realizing I am pretending to be serious. seriously, when are you going to die so I can take a big shit on your grave and take a picture of it for the myth forums ? I'm being serious you idiot, take a note from croaker and croak.

@Smo
You say you gave us ratking, implying you altered your big board to make this happen? Or was it random distribution from your rankings as you claimed from the beginning?
Aren't you straight out arguing with ratking in another thread about how he isn't a quality captain?
I'm not here to be celebrating early, but the best news I've heard all tournament is that you are "calling it quits with hosting stuff".
wwo

Post by wwo »

Paris is serious until taken seriously, then he's joking. Or is serious until taken jokingly. Or is joking until taken seriously. One or some or all of the above. Narcissists are cute.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

par73 wrote:
Maybe if we were faggots. Speaking of faggots

@Smo
You say you gave us ratking, implying you altered your big board to make this happen? Or was it random distribution from your rankings as you claimed from the beginning?
Aren't you straight out arguing with ratking in another thread about how he isn't a quality captain?
I'm not here to be celebrating early, but the best news I've heard all tournament is that you are "calling it quits with hosting stuff".
I just ranked payers and then put them on teams based on their rank like I have said before. I didn't alter anything other than the very bottom players to help out teams that might have a little worse attendance issues. If I were to have altered rosters Limp's team wouldn't look the way it is now.

I never said Ratking wasn't a quality captain in the other thread at all. Adren and GKG both directly or indirectly mentioned that I was a better captain than Rat and I guess he took offense to that. All I did was defend my position of being a better captain.

Say what you want, the tournaments I host have good attendance. A lot better attendance than the failed draft tournament you attempted to host last year.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I may have sarcastically said it... but my main point is that captaining and social life have a negative correlation.
par73

Post by par73 »

Snack Size
Give me a meal

Wwo can't take the boston sarcasm, it leaves him fumbling over concepts his Alzheimer's medication cannot make up for. This is what makes me better than him.

Asmo I would hope your tournaments had a better attendance than a failed tournament, I love your bitterness towards the concept of "who's better" on a myth related subject. I guess those years of 4ever mediocre left a stain your persona can't bleach. If you can't find a reason to cherish moving on from hosting myth tournaments I may in fact begin to pity you.

In regards to ratking and you, tournament captaining performance, "all time", and the like; Ratking takes the cake. His r3 teams have always been poorly equipped with weapons where as you always had a few gems in the rough to give you an edge. How many ratking teams were carried by the brilliance of arzenic or east wind? I would prefer being captained by Ratking over you, but in reality I would prefer being captained by neither. You might have multiple bunch of draft tournament victories but his draft tournament victory over the modern era Rommel ( in the first draft ever ) speaks volumes about his captaining ability. It's quality over quantity, ironically just like week4 in the draft tournament which I was told to be for fun yet half the participants will be excluded from the final weekend.

You might have actually been able to win the mwc14 finals if your team actually trusted/respected you (they didn't; I've heard, I've seen). Unfortunately for you(r ego), it never happened, you have zero impressive victories as a captain while ratking has a number; hence my resolution I would prefer RK over you. Try not to take offense.
par73

Post by par73 »

adrenaline wrote:I may have sarcastically said it... but my main point is that captaining and social life have a negative correlation.

Hence why adren never focused on trying to be a myth captain; instead always trying to be a cool kid.

We can't all be induced on LSD by predators and irresponsibility in the 7th grade; try not to forget us when you reach that rock star level.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I completely forgot why I hit "reply" in the first place (Alzheimer's!)

Did one of the Croaker's actually die? I knew two.
par73

Post by par73 »

No but you can expect any of my future myth videos to reference deen wean in his memory.

Shit, that was so out of character, what I meant was "bla bla bla garbage trash gutter slut"
wwo

Post by wwo »

I didn't know him, but half my family (well, all, if we're talking just about the good side) are teachers (including myself at one point), so I kinda empathize with that.

Someone (zak) needs to remake Fosgarach yet again, but rename all the scarecrows as Mythers who have died.
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

I wish it was wwo instead of dean.

Why god why?
wwo

Post by wwo »

I'm just happy to be in your thoughts at all.
par73

Post by par73 »

bro hug cu
i know how it feels to be in those shoes

ween would have showed up to play for his team this year
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Week 3 does not deserve an individual thread or breakdown because both matches were awful. However if you did show week 3 that was a boost to your overall standing.

Final MVP Standings

Most Valuable Player:

Dantski -- Highest damage in the tournament by 200+ while posting the highest damage ratios by a wide margin. These stats actually matter because he was taking a large % each game allowing some of his less talented teammates to take less units. Taking the large % apparently did not affect his efficiency with the large unit sets he had. Also he showed 15/15 games

Runners up:

1. Chron -- He performed nearly up to par with Dantski. He had the 2nd highest damage ratio by a wide margin and his shot calling/positioning was very good throughout the whole tournament. Showed for 13/15 games

2. Arzenic -- Having to captain last minute in week 2 hurt Arz's ratios a little bit, but the communication, smart decision making and leadership he brings to any team he is on is nearly irreplaceable. Showed 15/15 games.

3. Myrk -- For the most part Myrk played up to the level people know he is capable of playing. Due to his strong showing it has allowed Limp to keep doing similar distributions where he throws 20+% on Dantski,Arz & Myrk allowing this big 3 to carry their team into the finals with the highest point score. Showed 15/15 games

5. Asmodian -- I feel as though my captaining gave my team the opportunity to win the game 14/15 games (the exception being thaw) based on trades,distribution,strategy. I also posted pretty solid damage ratios from the captaining position, although they did fall off in week 3 in a very uninteresting 3v6. Showed 15/15 games

5. Cruniac -- Cruniac pretty much did everything for his team. He gave his team of shot of making the finals going into the last week despite getting shaky commitments from most of his top players. He also posted a very solid dmg ratio from the captains spot while also giving his players unit sets that they should have been able to do well with. Showed 15/15 games
Cutard

Post by Cutard »

]worst person ever:

1. Dantski
2. Dantski
3.Dantski

DANTSKI-- big fat idiot

final standings.

credits:

Director: Cu
Best Boy Grip: Cu
Casting: Cu
Assistant to Mr. Cu: Cu
wwo

Post by wwo »

Honest question, smo: Why are you and crun getting so much credit for captaining, but limp isn't top 5 overall? It looks odd that his teammates are, yet he gets zero credit for their success?
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Crun pretty much did everything for his team? I miss one match and my contributions are completely forgotten lol...

He did do a solid job, though.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

To answer both your questions it's a 3 week tournament to qualify for the finals. Missing one week is 33% of the total games, which is a pretty big deal. Limp and Adrenaline both missed one week.
wwo

Post by wwo »

That made too much sense. I'm discouraged from asking further questions.
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

To throw a monkey wrench in that discussion and play devil's advocate, I just want to point out that chron missed 3 games and limp only technically missed 4 games (he showed up for the last game in the match he mostly missed, a game that his team had a clutch won to tie the match). that 1 game difference is the definitive cut-off?
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

Chron just missed two and I think he has performed as the clear #2 overall player with #3 not being that close to him. With Limp I think there is several reasons why he was left off the list and Cruniac and I were not.