Leaky Myth Clients

Gate of Storms (GoS) is a metaserver (lobby) for Myth II Soulblighter multiplayer where you can play online with friends and strangers alike for free.
capital

Leaky Myth Clients

Post by capital »

What does this mean:

As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Gate of Storms.net” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

Also, why does my myth client automatically upload data to 173.236.153.201?

Myth Clients have changed from being closed to "leaky"
dac

Re: Leaky Myth Clients

Post by dac »

feelmz
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

capital wrote: As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Gate of Storms.net” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.
That's standard phpbb legal crap. i.e. if the site gets hacked, you can't sue me...
capital wrote: Also, why does my myth client automatically upload data to 173.236.153.201?

Code: Select all

nslookup gateofstorms.net
Non-authoritative answer:
Address:  173.236.153.201
... i.e. that's the metaserver.
Melekor

Post by Melekor »

When you host in a films room, it streams the film to the metaserver so it's available for download on the site. You can tell if you're in a films room by the icon on the room picture.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Right but it does it over the metaserver room connection that it sends all the normal metaserver stuff on (chat, games, etc). Don't see why you think it's any different now than ever.
capital

Post by capital »

ok.

Though the option to upload needs to be client side not server side, No one joins a game in the alt room. I did not hear any discussion about this in public beta,

Also, choice of connecting client should be expanded, not restricted.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

The other room is the first room people saw when they joined. They choose to switch to the filmed room for the film uploading feature. While not stated everywhere, it had been noted what the "films" tag meant, but those posts were wiped after the merge and the other times it was on the lobby when people asked. Though, I'm sure PunkUser wasn't expecting a migration to this server so suddenly and was not fully prepared to have thinks fully documented.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

capital wrote: Though the option to upload needs to be client side not server side, No one joins a game in the alt room.
You're effectively complaining that other people want their films saved and you don't... the option is there for everyone to choose already.
capital wrote: Also, choice of connecting client should be expanded, not restricted.
It's not intentionally try to be restrictive for no reason, I just have much higher priority things to do than implement support for clients/versions/etc. that barely anyone uses. Remember, tournament features is my priority, not making myth into a better chat lobby (god knows you can get one of those anywhere else).
lalacurf121

Post by lalacurf121 »

No one joins a game in the alt room.
viva