Drunkens Take on Myth's Situation

"...turning the godhead of the ghols into a monument to Balin's victory. Nothing else has done more to sustain the mutual hatred since the ghols raided the crypt at Myrgard for 'victuals'."
drunken_deer

Drunkens Take on Myth's Situation

Post by drunken_deer »

I wrote this article a few years back, never posted it cause of the stupid mess the forums (still) are in in terms of article stickied post/blogs. It was to do about the MWC, and also has relevance to why myth has become obsolete and finding organised matches to eventually create tournament sized games harder and harder.

Arguably

Its a bit intimidating to start or join a lightweight team when you are considered the weakest chain in a tournament consisting of the cream of the crop of myth society who have mostly played this game for twelve years having somthing on average of 50 to 60 myth world cup champions.
The team ive been playing for deer has been around now for a good four years since 2009 and in that time I have enjoyed all our games and endured our losses we still bring our team into the fold for a chance of glory. However this article is not about glory in victory, it is about glory in participation. Ill give you some interesting points why winning is not always the case in gaming.

-The Diversity Factor-

Deer was the most diverse team in the tournament, I have yet to meet another team to field more players from Ukraine, England, Brasil, America, Australia, Italy, Canada and Japan. Sadly because of this diversity our team suffers for time zone attendances but by having more diversity the team can have more numbers, introduce new players to their friends. Consider in Ukraine is around four or five times more expensive to purchase a game off the store shelves. Sending a copy of myth over to your friend or even a game from your country as a gesture of goodwill really gives you a good feeling. A sense of communal trust given and more ties of team bonding than any other victory on myth would ever have.
More on the upside it is so much more interesting to getting to know your players and cultures having such a diverse range. Exchanging cooking recipes is a prime example and pooling resources together to making contributions to myth is always a great way to keep team spirit healthy.
Without going into too much personal detail publicly I can safely say that conversations tend to be much more colorful with more facets of opinion than you would have from 10 mythers from the same country of origin. I will tell you now there is nothing funnier than having two myth players speaking in their second language English with poor vocabulary about competitive myth and listening.

The Challenge Factor

There is sadly this idea that winning a myth world cup requires you to join a team of the heaviest veterans and hardest, coldest players. I find this to be one of the most ignorant albeit stupid prejudges of the myth gaming community to date.
Players forget that the game myth and in all its campaigns was about having the smaller, squishier light armies against the larger dark armies required strategy that did not involve head long collisions body counting your enemies main force. Rather out-flanking and out maneuvering the enemy and reaching your objective. The victory coming from not force of arms but by strength of mind.
I find this to be a lost cause for the higher tier teams that have forgotten what it was like to enjoy a real challenge. Having an all-star team will give you plenty of victories but does the end justify the means? Is the victory sweet enough to say, we really crippled our fingers and sweated all over our keyboard for that win. I think not, and for those who read this on such a team when was the last time you were considered by a majority of the community obtaining an upset victory against your opponent? When was the last time the lightweight teams that now almost cease to exist take notice and really appreciate how hard you worked for that win, and I am not talking about the token “well done (insert team) at the end of the tournament.
To a certain extent I feel pity for the five trow teams as they will never truly get back these hard earned victories for the reason of not truly celebrating with their diverse colleagues that you did a mission impossible just like the legion cut the head of balor and sent it in the devoid against all odds.

The Family Factor-

Many players on myth are reaching the age of having families, children and are between their mid twenties to early forties. For this reason not all mythers have the privilege to play 5 hours on a regular basis and keep their myth skills honed to perfection. They have real life factors that are usually forgotten by top players. Should they be judged poorly and not given a chance to play in a tournament? Is it their fault they have real life priorities to attend to?

Just last year I had a member with three kids and an ex-wife and another the year before who was ex-military with little or no time on his hands. I will talk about the father. He loves myth who wanted to be part of the action just as anyone who played myth knows as well. Nobody put their hand up to take him on the team recruitment forums. They found him too weak, crazy albeit a myth suicide who didn’t know the difference between a warlock and a berserk. Not a single 3 baller team or above gave any attention to this guy and only judged him on his gameplay, a reason why I took him on board. I would not have known him to be such a great person personally sitting him down, talking and getting to know this guy better. Of course he was a ball and chain effect slightly on our team but he participated in the myth world cup. The good factors far outweighing the bad and as any myther knows its quite entertaining watching someone blow up their units with a warlock.

Its a sad fact that many gamers forget that there are real people under the myth alias with real lives who just want a fun game or maybe a little more such s the tournament to get involved only to get attitude that they are crap mythers or do not deserve to trow in a rabble game with a mere 4% army in most cases. Edulus is a prime example of such a player. Even I myself make fun of his poor myth tactics but I do not discourage him from victory and give him always the chance to prove himself in games. Would it not be ironic even far fetched that such players had tournament money to donate only to be discouraged because of the lack of teams to join? Chances are slim but so is the chances of deer winning the myth world cup. Doesn't mean we wont be upsetting any teams however.
Teams like the IX, OOH, ULMS even saints row and now Deer are all gone or are remnants of a long and dead history of myth. They are a part of the myth legacy still but just like we need fresh new faces to myth so do we need fresh new teams. A tournament that does not care about its lightweight teams does not deserve a challenge. Unless players rise to the challenge of reaching out and giving young bucks a shot of being a part of the herd then they will never reach the potential to rise high enough to be a challenge for any 5 trow team. I hear often that these teams are well balanced which is true enough, however the balance comes from the fact that there are no lightweight teams on this tournament. No Meat to grind so to speak, so really is it balanced or just another overdressed saying drummed into the heads of myth veterans to think that they are going to have a challenge.

In the end Deer will persevere through all the times and continue to participate, however sadly there are only so many team members I can field for the privilege to play a myth world cup. Many will miss out this year from the lack of encouragement. In the end Myth is about having fun so I do hope this year will be a blast!
killerking

Re: Drunkens Take on Myth's Situation

Post by killerking »

Great to hear you consider ULMS a part of myth's legacy. Also, we did upset Deer by beating you guys 3-2 ;) (yeah I know, you were lagging bla bla... :) )
Edulus

Post by Edulus »

I am honoured to be mentioned in your post.
Chohan

Post by Chohan »

drunken_deer wrote: Its a sad fact that many gamers forget that there are real people under the myth alias with real lives who just want a fun game or maybe a little more such s the tournament to get involved only to get attitude that they are crap mythers or do not deserve to trow in a rabble game with a mere 4% army in most cases. Edulus is a prime example of such a player.
This seems to always be one of the biggest misunderstandings ever in games. The easiest example is if I had a trow let's say it's a 7v7 game. Normally trow are split 3/2 and the trowers have the myrks split amongst themselves. That leaves someone on soulless a very important job on any map with trow. With a few locks and morts split up, now what usually happens every single time someone with 2 locks or 2 morts notices they have 7% and feel they need more and request "a few myrks please" it shows they just don't understand myth gameplay. Are those 4 myrks really going to do much if 2 or 3 trow come down on top of you? If you or your trower is out of place it just means 4 myrks are basically suicided now instead of just the 1-2 arty.

Everyone can't be given equal %'s or close to it on normal big 2t maps if that's the case it normally just means the better captained team with better unit distribution is going to run over the other team.
wwo

Post by wwo »

Using the same quote, many tournament teams have given small % roles to good/great players, whether it's 4 dedicated pus ghols or a distraction force or whatever. I don't waste units by having unimportant splits when I captain. There are no throwaway roles. I've seen you play, drunken. You don't suck as an individual player, but it's an insecure newb trait to look at f7 and judge importance by that. We might make fun of each other when something abnormal happens (like edulus getting 30% on a team where ew has 9%), but it has no bearing on the importance of the role.

(And as crun said, souls are important on pretty much any map with trow.)
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

agree with cruniac and wwo. It's not about the % it's about unit sets. Any unit set can play a very important role in a game. The only exception is if you are getting warriors/thrall with no puss or arty units to go along with them.
East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

I feel like the guys that are ask for more are douchebags anyways. Respect is earned not given - not any different on myth.
drunken_deer

Post by drunken_deer »

Asmodian wrote:agree with cruniac and wwo. It's not about the % it's about unit sets. Any unit set can play a very important role in a game. The only exception is if you are getting warriors/thrall with no puss or arty units to go along with them.

I am not saying soulless are not important, but what I am saying is players who are inexperienced do not know how to use soulless properly, to pull them back from a warlock blast and then try picking them off when trying to recharge mana.

Giving a trow to a new player gives the newbie a chance to actually clobber something and enjoy some carnage, regardless of winning. Its like giving thrall duty on flag, of course its important but you kind of feel left out of the action so to speak. When they start to feel more comfortable you start giving them a bit more complex units that use range ie dwarves/archers ect. Of course a mixed bag of units is always preferable for new players.

EW: I agree, but have you tried earning respect from a bunch of vet mythers who have iron clad bonds with similar skilled players to new people, pretty steep learning curve to earn respect from in terms of gameplay.
par73

Post by par73 »

Quite honestly I think you suck at splitting units drunken

One could even say: Your players never got better throughout years of playing because you wouldn't allow them situations outside your perception of their comfort zone.
Even with something like using soulless in a 2t is best learned through playing the situation and not watching the captain who took 40% perform poorly with them while they attempt to juggle the rest of their units on a connection 3 continents away from the host, just like you said.

It's a shame you never put equal distribution of roles and units into practice, perhaps PK wouldn't be blaming you for the failure of project edulus

I will be really disappointed if you do not allow the owl players to play or sub for deer
par73

Post by par73 »

P.s. Ew did what you ask if he's done more than 10 years ago when he began playing more reg than ww2
Lord---Scary Owl

Post by Lord---Scary Owl »

I wouldn't mind subbing or capping for Deer after Drunken is gone for Europe. I might be a good MVP.
drunken_deer

Post by drunken_deer »

Chohan wrote: 27 Jun 2014, 20:10
drunken_deer wrote: Its a sad fact that many gamers forget that there are real people under the myth alias with real lives who just want a fun game or maybe a little more such s the tournament to get involved only to get attitude that they are crap mythers or do not deserve to trow in a rabble game with a mere 4% army in most cases. Edulus is a prime example of such a player.
This seems to always be one of the biggest misunderstandings ever in games. The easiest example is if I had a trow let's say it's a 7v7 game. Normally trow are split 3/2 and the trowers have the myrks split amongst themselves. That leaves someone on soulless a very important job on any map with trow. With a few locks and morts split up, now what usually happens every single time someone with 2 locks or 2 morts notices they have 7% and feel they need more and request "a few myrks please" it shows they just don't understand myth gameplay. Are those 4 myrks really going to do much if 2 or 3 trow come down on top of you? If you or your trower is out of place it just means 4 myrks are basically suicided now instead of just the 1-2 arty.

Everyone can't be given equal %'s or close to it on normal big 2t maps if that's the case it normally just means the better captained team with better unit distribution is going to run over the other team.
I understand what you mean but you have lost the context as % is of course not always an indicator of the importance of a unit. Its when players receive perhaps a single dwarf and two warriors where everyone else gets a lot more and you are sent middle on a large 2T map.
wwo

Post by wwo »

"Its when players receive perhaps a single dwarf and two warriors where everyone else gets a lot more and you are sent middle on a large 2T map."

That's my dream job.