Mariusnet up and running, fully functional

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
Lizard King

Mariusnet up and running, fully functional

Post by Lizard King »

From PPe:

"Ok, so it has taken me WAAAAY to long to get to this, but I just needed the right combination of available time, motivation, and of course, I had to remember how the heck to troubleshoot metaserver startup issues..... BUT, I have finally gotten Mariusnet back up and running. The problem was a corrupted player profile (actually, just one among the thousands) that was keeping the metaserver from loading. I deleted that user file and in conjunction with a few other tweaks, it is back to life.

The Server Status widget is working, so you can see who is playing online, but ranking is not currently being processed. It looks like there are several corrupted database tables that I will have to pour over. I think that most all of them (sans possibly one) are transient data only used during the processing of stats, so it shouldn't be TOO tough to get stats working again. I don't think any historical data is lost... but, don't quote me on that.

I've seen the report that new user registration isn't working. I'll look into that next. I have a fair idea of what that is."

http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... mber/30532

So for anyone interested in rank and a plethora of other features severely lacking from GoS, here's your answer.
Asmodian

Re: Mariusnet up and running, fully functional

Post by Asmodian »

Lizard King wrote:From PPe:

"Ok, so it has taken me WAAAAY to long to get to this, but I just needed the right combination of available time, motivation, and of course, I had to remember how the heck to troubleshoot metaserver startup issues..... BUT, I have finally gotten Mariusnet back up and running. The problem was a corrupted player profile (actually, just one among the thousands) that was keeping the metaserver from loading. I deleted that user file and in conjunction with a few other tweaks, it is back to life.

The Server Status widget is working, so you can see who is playing online, but ranking is not currently being processed. It looks like there are several corrupted database tables that I will have to pour over. I think that most all of them (sans possibly one) are transient data only used during the processing of stats, so it shouldn't be TOO tough to get stats working again. I don't think any historical data is lost... but, don't quote me on that.

I've seen the report that new user registration isn't working. I'll look into that next. I have a fair idea of what that is."

http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... mber/30532

So for anyone interested in rank and a plethora of other features severely lacking from GoS, here's your answer.
SMH, people these days...
Lizard King

Post by Lizard King »

And as you can sort of read I guess, it will be fixed. I'll take the promise of it being fixed soon from PPe rather than the promise of nothing ever being done on this server. Lol, valuable input as always, Shmo.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

It only took him a year to get the server back up and running without any registration allowed. Sounds like a good option to put your faith into him restoring other features anytime soon √
Lizard King

Post by Lizard King »

It's been up and running since late June of last year without registration and with guest capability just like GoS. Besides, even when it's not at 100% capacity Mariusnet is still a far superior server with more features. Soon: still better than never.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I don't get it. Is Mnet the default again or what?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

In all seriousness, please do go wherever you want to play. Supporting this server is a pure cost for me, so if no one wants to play here, I can save a bit of money :). Yada yada you're well aware of the history and so on. That said, if people do value the features here, I am more than happy to continue supporting it.

<teasing>
Maybe you can demonstrate how awesome ranking is over there and why it's so important for the Myth community to have it. Given the logic you've argued to date, I fully expect the community to have quadrupled in size in the next month, so maybe we'll revisit this then eh? ;)

Also LK it seems like you're proposing that we split the community :O That'll surely be the death of Myth!
</teasing>

Anyways, I fully agree with PPE's sentiment and am happy to see two servers online again (and a server to handle TFL/Marathon/M3 again!):
... as we've all seen in the past it is always good to have a second server running. Thankfully, there have been folks to step in and take up my slack while I've been busy with other things in life - and so, Myth lives on
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

MNet seems completely useless until new user registration works. We get new people weekly. They won't be able to play there, so it really will split the community, because people won't be able to check back & forth & move to whatever server has the people. New people will just see the online community as small/non-existent, and go away (if too many go to MNet).

Plenty of people have used my autohost...but I'm a recent returnee, so you will never see it on MNet, until MNet actually becomes FULLY functional.

BTW punk, is the MNet ranking actually any good? If they would share the code with you, would you be able to integrate it to GoS? Or, feed your stats to MNet, let them do all the ranking, and let them feed rank info to you...then there's 1 ladder, across both servers, and the ranks display on both servers.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

Oh look, it's our new 10 page thread.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

The game server is up and running, it's only 'useless' if the only thing you care about is statistics.

Especially for the people who play Myth TFL, TWA or Marathon.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

I didn't doubt Mnet would come back, though I didn't expect it to take as long as it did. Let's recap...

MariusNet went offline back in June 5, 2013 when moving to a new hosting location. The server was damaged so it stayed offline longer and came back 12 days later on the 17th. The site however had issues and would not always work. It eventually stopped working around the 25th. On September 10 both site and metaserver went down again. The site came back on the 27th of that month but not the metaserver. On February 1, 2014 there was finally a MariusNet news post letting users know about GoS in case there were any returning users that were unaware. The Mnet metaserver was finally brought back on the 21st but no one could access it due to some wrong setting which got fixed on the 26th.

So Mnet the metaserver was down for 12 days after the move and then again for five and a half months. That is about 6 months of downtime for the metaserver in the past 9 months. After being down for that long, it won't be easy to convince users to switch back as people tend to be lazy. Could always make a list of pros and cons I guess.
par73

Post by par73 »

I'm sure the marathon junkies will be back on there soon enough!
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

vinylrake wrote:The game server is up and running, it's only 'useless' if the only thing you care about is statistics.
I don't care about stats. It's useless for MII because only vets can play on it, new people can't register...thus splitting the community hard, locking people out, leaving new people wondering why there is no one on GoS to play with (& then just going away).
par73

Post by par73 »

pff having mariusnet up and running isn't going to split the community hard at all

you have wild claims
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

par73 wrote:pff having mariusnet up and running isn't going to split the community hard at all
you have wild claims
Ok, I forgot about guest (since I think it's such a useless option & I never use it), let me revise...no one "new" to Myth since mid 2013 can play as a registered user, because they can't register, right? I guess if you're a vet, or if you're a new person who doesn't care about registering, chatting, getting in the forums, PMing, or being spoofed, it works. I would never play on a server where I can't communicate with other players, or have a login. I'm sure some will be ok with that, some will not.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

jason_ac wrote: BTW punk, is the MNet ranking actually any good?
Frankly no, not that anything would be for <100 players. And the "hard" (time-consuming is more accurate) part about implementing stuff is not the Elo calculations part... that's simple. But alas, as I've discovered from the other threads here, people think ranking = stats showing up in-game, so that's not too hard to do at all. Once I've finished up/cleaned up the current big feature (proxies/anyone can host) I'll do that next. Shouldn't take too long.
sasper

Post by sasper »

out of curiosity lizard king, when are you due to have ppe's baby?
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

vinylrake wrote: Especially for the people who play Myth TFL, TWA..
i.e. no one
Lizard King

Post by Lizard King »

punkUser wrote: Maybe you can demonstrate how awesome ranking is over there and why it's so important for the Myth community to have it. Given the logic you've argued to date, I fully expect the community to have quadrupled in size in the next month, so maybe we'll revisit this then eh? ;)

Also LK it seems like you're proposing that we split the community :O That'll surely be the death of Myth!
[/quote]

Well you already have multiple topics with pages regarding people wanting rank, but you've ignored everyone so far so i wouldn't expect you to do anything now.

Not to mention had mwc/1v1 matches not been forced to play on gos we wouldnt have split/lost a portion of the community in a needless shuffle to a lesser server with incredibly limited capability.

The fact is that marius offers features that people want which you refuse to implement. If you bothered to listen to anyone we wouldn't even be having this discussion. ;)
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Lizard King wrote:The fact is that marius offers features that people want which you refuse to implement.
Perhaps if you give him a large sum of money to pay him for his time, so he can drop other tasks, then he'll have the free time to add useless ranking. Or maybe you should learn how to program and create your own server that's more reliable than MNet, and "so much better" than GoS? It's easy, right? Takes no time at all. So do it. You'll be done in a week, I'm sure.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

adrenaline wrote:i.e. no one
Definitely no one in the last 5 months but I got the impression there are at least a few people playing TFL and and Marathon. A few people showed up on the magma forums in the past few months asking how they could play TFL online.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

I'm sick of 1.8 not being able to click through the top status bar.
Lizard King

Post by Lizard King »

No need Jason, there's already a better server running and frankly I'd be perfectly happy if he pulled the plug on GoS. Apparently what a majority of players want is considered "useless", gotcha. You're obviously brand new so I'll forgive your wanton display of ignorance. (:
jason_ac

Post by jason_ac »

Lizard King wrote:No need Jason, there's already a better server running and frankly I'd be perfectly happy if he pulled the plug on GoS. Apparently what a majority of players want is considered "useless", gotcha. You're obviously brand new so I'll forgive your wanton display of ignorance. (:
No one can make reasonable use of MNet unless they can register (no chat, no messaging, forum, etc). And since no can register since last summer, it's of little use. The ranking is "useless" because no automated ranking system can rank such a small community accurately.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Lizard King wrote:No need Jason, there's already a better server running and frankly I'd be perfectly happy if he pulled the plug on GoS. Apparently what a majority of players want is considered "useless", gotcha. You're obviously brand new so I'll forgive your wanton display of ignorance. (:
There's no point in pulling the plug on GoS, and the community will suffer if there's only one server running. (Look what would have happened if punkuser hadn't been almost ready to release GoS when marius died!)

It would be great if the metaservers could talk to each other so you could log onto one and at least see who was on the other one, but who is going to spend the time to do that for a few dozen players? IMO we are lucky there's any servers still hosting Myth, two is even better.

Every metaserver that's sprung into existence or died in the past 14 years has been heralded as the death of the community. The community is dying without a doubt, but having two servers isn't what's killing it - neither is it PunkUser's unwillingness to do whatever 'the community' tells him to do with his server, neither is Mariusnet's inability to register new users or it's historically overzealous admins. No - it's a 15+ year old game. Trying to get new users is like trying to get someone looking to buy a new car to consider buying a 15 year old car. Sure it still runs good and has some classic style, but it can't compete in a lot of areas. So yeah the community is dying, but as long as there are metaservers running and people who want to play Myth there will be a community.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

par73 wrote:I'm sure the marathon junky will be back on there soon enough!
Yeah, sitting alone in the lobby wondering why no one's playing a game from 1994.

Good to see this thread is up to 3 pages. Keep it coming bros. Get Mnet back up, omrake needs something to do when he's done the paper route.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Lizard King wrote:Apparently what a majority of players want is considered "useless", gotcha.
I don't think that has ever been proven one way or another. Made a poll to see what people really feel about it without guessing or assuming anything since no one bothered to try.
par73

Post by par73 »

in regards to activity about TFL on the internet, interesting surprise and one of the only rising myth trends:

http://www.google.com/trends/explore#q= ... en%20lords
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Unfortunately, it's more likely related to this if you follow the related searches, etc: http://lordsofthefallen.com/
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Pogue wrote:
par73 wrote:I'm sure the marathon junky will be back on there soon enough!
Yeah, sitting alone in the lobby wondering why no one's playing a game from 1994.
Says the guy sitting in the lobby wondering why more people aren't playing a game from 1998....

lulz.
Pogue

Post by Pogue »

I haven't played myth in over a year, but nice try. I knew you couldn't resist posting.
vinylrake

Post by vinylrake »

Miss the point much Pogue?
shinco

Post by shinco »

wwo wrote:I don't get it. Is Mnet the default again or what?

With the ability to switch servers with a click of a button, I guess it doesn't really matter?

shinco
par73

Post by par73 »

for real all you need is the link to the "who's online" pages of both marius and gate of storms

http://www.gateofstorms.net/
http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... rveronline
wwo

Post by wwo »

shinco wrote:
wwo wrote:I don't get it. Is Mnet the default again or what?

With the ability to switch servers with a click of a button, I guess it doesn't really matter?

shinco
And re-entering a pw. That extra step is just too much for so little reward.
par73

Post by par73 »

C'mon wwo just do it so my keylogger can steal your gold