Final thoughts

Myrk

Final thoughts

Post by Myrk »

Overall I'm pleased with how this tournament went. All the matches got played with no forfeits, the KOTM maps ended up working out very well (as did all the maps really), and if anyone cheated they did it ninja style and didn't get caught. There were attendance and scheduling issues in some matches, which are to be expected at this stage of Myth's life cycle with its small player base, but obviously nothing can be done about that from a TO standpoint.

My thanks to PunkUser for providing this great site and forums for this tourney, results and stats were always posted ridiculously fast.

Congrats to Team Asmo for being the champions, a thank you to Asmo, Paris, Ratking and Thor for being team captains, and thanks to everyone who showed up and played.

I found from this experience that being a TO is kind of easy really (although obviously PunkUser was a big help), the only thing that required much thought were the map picks and the rest was just following common sense and sticking to my own rules.

ggs
punkUser

Re: Final thoughts

Post by punkUser »

I thought it went pretty well too and at least provided a source of some decent games. Regardless of the attendance issues, it was still a hell of a lot better than what you can find night to night these days.

Glad I could help out a bit, but my part was pretty easy. As usual, I'm just happy to help out anyone who's interested in hosting a tournament, league, etc.

KOTM was indeed pretty fun in a 2t situation. Looking forward to playing more in the future.
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

Honestly thought this tourney was kinda bleh. Main problem IMO was major attendance problems partly caused (again in my opinion) by having another draft tourney right after another. In this regard I really think we need to implement subs for draft tourneys to avoid uneven games which can only be fun for the team that wins. Yes I know its a draft tourney blah blah blah, but its generally not worth playing if you're 4v6 or something and I'd rather have subs and deal with that problem than have shit games.

I'd also prefer less KOTM games and more Terries, if you don't want terries games to be body count, then make the time shorter!
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

I agree with Dant about subs... I'd far rather have a good 6v6 with a couple of subs than a 6v4 blowout. Under ideal circumstances, we wouldn't need subs... but we are far beyond the time of that being a reality.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Meh, the more subs you allow the more it's just kickball... which is great, and should be started back up again, but that wasn't this tournament IMO :) Hopefully a break from draft tournaments will bring interest levels back up for next year. Definitely should have something in the mean time though.

Short terries is fine too, but it just turns into a 5 minute contest war in a lot of maps, which isn't exactly great. Certainly some terries maps are good, but honestly I like how KOTM values all parts of the game, not just the ending positions. But yes, given the lack of good 2t game times, I'm all for some more terries too.
par73

Post by par73 »

Myrk wrote: I found from this experience that being a TO is kind of easy really (although obviously PunkUser was a big help), the only thing that required much thought were the map picks and the rest was just following common sense and sticking to my own rules.

heh remember that time TCOX and kirk/tiger/liger/godcops hoho goldfish team (actually, maybe i am thinking of wrong tourney team and tournament) tied in their match, and I stuck to grim's rules instead of my own? oh boy what a fiasco.

You did a great job with this tournament Myrk, I only wish Myth's population was a bit greater so that teams could have been more flexible with their rosters (8 player max, 7 in game; teams are stifled if more than 2 players cannot show up at their leisure to play myth) for better chances of full-team turnouts per week.

I think the 'tournament fallout' idea dantski brings up is definitely worth noting, but for a 2team tournament that followed up two 2team tournaments in a row I think the expectations of what this tournament would encompass were definitely met (rather than having players or teams flake out).
There definitely needs to be a lull in competition, but every month you gain players and lose players so perhaps it's not all that bad to host follow up team tournaments.
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

The attendance thing is why my next thing is just gonna be kickball.