Great Myth players that no one remembers:

General MWC related discussion stuff.
DBSeeker

Re: Great Myth players that no one remembers:

Post by DBSeeker »

Going to dispute Butcher. Massively overrated because of the tag.

He wasn't as good as let's say Leadfeather or even Tino the Elf, and you don't see those two creeping up on these lists.

I'll grant you roo & stinger.

One name that hasn't been mentioned but should:

Rilak ~Lod~
par73

Post by par73 »

He's a great myth player that started the tradition of MWC. I think that stands alone as a huge accomplishment in myth history and puts him up there as a "GMPTNOR".

Would people even recognize grim as a "great" myth player if he did not host MWC following b.net's final blue bar?

I think not.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Weltall!

How about Okko? SPQR?

Sandman

Kugar for christ sake... he hasn't been around in a while.
Dantski

Post by Dantski »

There are no great players that no one remembers, because if they were great...
DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

par73 wrote:He's a great myth player that started the tradition of MWC. I think that stands alone as a huge accomplishment in myth history and puts him up there as a "GMPTNOR".

Would people even recognize grim as a "great" myth player if he did not host MWC following b.net's final blue bar?

I think not.
No, because Grim's accomplishments as a Myth player would not have merited it. He gained his recognition as a "great" Myth player through showing up in post-Bungie MWCs and being a key cog in his team's success.

Player skill is the metric being used to identify players here, not tournament organization 'skill'. If you are going to put up tournament organization 'skill' as a metric, then let's throw up Rolling Rock as a great player as well.
par73

Post by par73 »

yeah he was a key cog in his teams successes.

comparing grim and rr as TO's in recognition of great myth players translate to a bellowing shout for grim and a whisper too short on wavelength to be heard for rr
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

RR wasn't a bad player at all really. He was known for being extremely melee-heavy and rushy, which I'm sure comes from the fact that his original team, EE, always played with a ridiculous numbers disadvantage.
He also hosted tournaments and ran a centralized tournament website.
He just got a lot of shit for being outspoken among the Ms. Manners crowd that Myth used to have.
DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

If you are discussing tournament organization, any comparison between RR & Grim wouldn't be that unfavorable to RR. They both have hosted multiple team tournaments that featured around 24-32 teams each. RR probably even had less help than Grim in forming his tournaments.
Honkey

Post by Honkey »

I got drunk with RR. Therefore he is better than any of you.
wwo

Post by wwo »

I like Tino, but he was terrible (I mean like, even friendly random captains would pretty much write off any % they gave him). Was there some small window where he wasn't stoned and might've cared enough? Either way, Butcher was a superior player.
East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

fucking seeker saying tino was good :(
DBSeeker

Post by DBSeeker »

wwo wrote:I like Tino, but he was terrible (I mean like, even friendly random captains would pretty much write off any % they gave him). Was there some small window where he wasn't stoned and might've cared enough? Either way, Butcher was a superior player.
Yes that time when Tino wasn't stoned all the time was called 1999.* As we all know, 1999 was also the time when Butcher was "active" as a player on Myth. (I have no clue how to deal with the Street Fighter stuff. Therefore, let's avoid dealing with that quagmire.)

Anyway - in terms of individual tournament accomplishments, Tino outshone me,you, & Butcher (shit my only individual highlight in the early 99 era was destroying Synapsed and his partner in a 2 v 2 tournament with Sartan -DC-.). After all, I believe he reached the finals of Trial By Combat - one of the few major FFA tournaments in Myth history. (http://mythgraveyard.org/004560 -)

Now, you can certainly make the argument that getting to the finals of an FFA tournament requires a far bit of luck. I won't dispute that fact. After all, Voodoo was never as good as the 7PR win made people think him to be. I also won't dispute that Tino was terrible in 2000 & 2001. However, in the 1999 era, the skill gaps were so large that if you were "terrible" & "friendly random captains would write off any % they gave him" that you wouldn't have reached the finals of such a tournament. You would have been fodder for any decent player to guarantee themselves a top 3 finish.

*Tino only became a stoner after B.net went down. Before that he was a band geek.

P.S.: Death Bastard , this debate was before your time. Step out of the way.