New Metaserver Accounts Options

Old news relating to the messageboard

Should we allow arbitrary nick names again with the new account setup?

You may select 1 option

View results

punkUser

New Metaserver Accounts Options

Post by punkUser »

Ok, this is still a little ways off but I wanted to get input on a couple things in advance.

In the new system instead of having a "forum account" with password aligned with the metaserver, you'll login via Steam account (you've probably seen this on other sites - it's basically the same as login via Facebook or Google which could be options in the future as well, but Steam initially). From there the web site will provide you with credentials to use on the metaserver... the purpose of this bit is judge to bridge it with the client that only allows you to enter "username/password", but you won't have any specific "password" that you set here anymore; the site will just give you a token to enter in the client, but your account and credentials will just be linked to Steam. That's a big part of the purpose here - remove the need for account or password management from GoS and thus the associated security and maintenance stuff.

There will be a way to initially link your Steam account to your current GoS account to keep your games list, tournament stats, etc. all associated with "you". Eventually this won't be necessary as all "new users" will simply login on the site via Steam.

This is where the main question comes up - in this new system it's possible to restore the functionality of picking a nick name at login time since that is now decoupled from phpbb, etc. This means ingame you can't "trust" people's nick names again, but you will be able to get some sort of link to their profile here on GoS (and further to their Steam profile) via stats/info. I'm aiming to get a few changes into the new 1.8.1 beta to make this slightly nicer too (i.e. a clickable link in the stats page to go to someone's profile).

That said, it does make it slightly more annoying to validate that someone is who they say they are in - for instance - a game lobby. You can always see afterwards on the games page of course for tournaments and the like, but it is a slightly loss in determinism on that front so I wanted to get people's input.

Are folks generally in favor of allowing arbitrary nick names again once this new account system comes into play? Guests will work the same way as today roughly, although if we decided to allow arbitrary nick names then of course duplicate nick names will be allowed again (even for guests).
DBSeeker

Re: New Metaserver Accounts Options

Post by DBSeeker »

I'm in favor of allowing us to pick our nicknames again.
dac

Post by dac »

force login/username in tournament rooms, allow free name changing in other rooms

keep the tourney rooms pure of the dummying, it helps a ton. might be confusing to switch rooms but well worth it.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

dac wrote:force login/username in tournament rooms, allow free name changing in other rooms
That's basically how it works now to the ability of the metaserver to enforce it. i.e. only registered (i.e. forced login) usernames in ranked/tourney rooms and in other rooms you can login as a guest with "any" unregistered name. I could potentially make it so that guests don't have to be unique names if desired.
dac wrote: keep the tourney rooms pure of the dummying, it helps a ton. might be confusing to switch rooms but well worth it.
Yeah unfortunately I can't really do any room-specific logic properly with the current Myth protocol. Once the client picks a nickname at login time it "sticks" with them until they log out (i.e. the client assumes it never changes).
wwo

Post by wwo »

I prefer the ability to change my screenname at will.

Nothing stops dummying.

I'm not linking my Steam account to anything.
par73

Post by par73 »

wwo wrote: I'm not linking my Steam account to anything.
Lol?
sharkdrivingabus

Post by sharkdrivingabus »

Some of us are Luddites without steam accounts. What are the options for us?
par73

Post by par73 »

sharkdrivingabus wrote:Some of us are Luddites without steam accounts. What are the options for us?
https://store.steampowered.com/join/

free to play games comes with registering steam account :O
par73

Post by par73 »

punkUser wrote: This is where the main question comes up - in this new system it's possible to restore the functionality of picking a nick name at login time since that is now decoupled from phpbb, etc. This means ingame you can't "trust" people's nick names again, but you will be able to get some sort of link to their profile here on GoS (and further to their Steam profile) via stats/info. I'm aiming to get a few changes into the new 1.8.1 beta to make this slightly nicer too (i.e. a clickable link in the stats page to go to someone's profile).

That said, it does make it slightly more annoying to validate that someone is who they say they are in - for instance - a game lobby. You can always see afterwards on the games page of course for tournaments and the like, but it is a slightly loss in determinism on that front so I wanted to get people's input.
Are logins still going to be displayed in the lobby?

Will http://gateofstorms.net/metaserver support both player names and logins?
CheezeFist

Post by CheezeFist »

I do not want your "steam"

I do not need your "steam"

stop trying to control me
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

par73 wrote: Will http://gateofstorms.net/metaserver support both player names and logins?
Your account will be your steam account. If you don't have one, they are free and it's as easy or easier to sign up there as it is here (and more secure, which is the point).
par73 wrote: Are logins still going to be displayed in the lobby?
Somewhere there will be a link to your metaserver profile, ex. http://gateofstorms.net/users/85. Whether the name displayed there is fixed or changes depending on your most recent login is what we're discussing in this thread. That profile page will likely also have a link to your steam profile, although those of course are often private so won't have any useful information.

To be clear - Steam account linking will be the only way to log in as a "registered" user going forward (guests will remain of course). There's no disadvantage to that over today's system and many advantages. If you don't want to link your "real" Steam account for whatever reason, you can certainly create a different one over there, but the point is to eliminate the security and maintenance requirements of "yet another account" at GoS. i.e. to replace the role that phpbb has been playing badly with a proper robust OpenID provider.
sharkdrivingabus wrote:Some of us are Luddites without steam accounts. What are the options for us?
As note, just sign up over at the Steam web site. It's free and no different than signing up here.
par73

Post by par73 »

punkUser wrote:
par73 wrote: Will http://gateofstorms.net/metaserver support both player names and logins?
Your account will be your steam account. If you don't have one, they are free and it's as easy or easier to sign up there as it is here (and more secure, which is the point).
I meant will that part of the website support that type of information. player name and steam login/or steam id number.
punkUser wrote:
par73 wrote: Are logins still going to be displayed in the lobby?
Somewhere there will be a link to your metaserver profile, ex. http://gateofstorms.net/users/85. Whether the name displayed there is fixed or changes depending on your most recent login is what we're discussing in this thread. That profile page will likely also have a link to your steam profile, although those of course are often private so won't have any useful information.
what type of information will be available when double clicking on a player's name in the lobby?
only their dynamic nick?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

par73 wrote: I meant will that part of the website support that type of information. player name and steam login/or steam id number.
Yeah it'll have your nick-name as today, it's just a question of if people can change that on login or not (like it was at MariusNet IIRC... it would show your most recent one and colors). And yes, there will be a link to the steam profile.

You will not really have a "login name" as such. What you enter in the client in that field (and also password) will be something that is provided for you on the web site here - likely a token or similar random set of things, like when you generate a "temporary password" on some web sites for legacy applications. Same deal here.
par73 wrote: what type of information will be available when double clicking on a player's name in the lobby?
only their dynamic nick?
There will be some sort of link to their user page here, which will have the other information as per the above. The intention is definitely to have there be some way to get at their "account" to see if they are the "right person". At the very least there will be a metaserver user ID (from which you can look them up here) even if I can't get the changes into the client for 1.8.1.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Seems to be pretty unanimous - I'll aim to allow folks to pick nicknames again in a classic manner to coincide with the new Myth patch (and associated GoS plugin update) and accounts decoupling.

Thanks for the input!