Where do you vacation?

General MWC related discussion stuff.
Homer

Where do you vacation?

Post by Homer »

I usually fly home, to visit my family, so technically I never vacation. But if I had to pick, I would go to the mountains or a lake or surf trip somewhere exotic like....Baja, but then I'd be hassled by the shitty Mexican government or killed by their cartels, so I'd have to go to Indonesia instead.

But I want to know where you vacation?

Are you poor, do you go to the nearest campsite and eat hotdogs and drink domestic beer? No shame.

Or are you the guy who drops 5K and flys across the world to some resort and won't put up any prize money for MWC, FOR SHAME!
adrenaline

Re: Where do you vacation?

Post by adrenaline »

I usually plan a camping trip to Lake Superior every summer... at least I have for the past 3 summers, and am going this year as well. Spent a 4 days on the Upper Peninsula of Michigan last year (Picture Rocks National Lakeshore) and did a full circle tour of the lake in the following days. 2 years ago, we spent a week on the Canadian side... Pancake Bay Provincial Park and Pukaskwa National Park. Going back to Pancake Bay for a week later this summer... it's one of the nicest beaches on the entire lake and near one of the nicest areas on the lake (Lake Superior Provincial Park). Highly recommended.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Post by c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ »

Yo dren I'm travelling across the country on my way to go sea kayaking up in BC & am going to camp on the UP for a couple days... one on lake Michigan eat of a spot called "Scotts Point" and the other one on Lake Superior. I was thinking the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness, you know it? Looking for places where I can back country camp without paying.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Also homer Mexico isn't as fucked up as the media lets on, especially if you speak spanish. Don't go to Juarez but I know single girls who have hitchhikes straight through to Central America with no problem. The only problems I ever had was border towns when I lived in LA and would go down to Ensenada – got stopped by the army but nothing happened, and someone stole my gas cap and thats it. If you want to go somewhere REALLY cheap and awesome try Nicaragua, where if you have money saved up & dont want to work for a few months you actually are saving money by living there, even with the cost of the plane ticket. Personally I'm planning on going down to Colombia for a month or two next winter during my winter break, got some friends living down there and it just seems like paradise. The only entire country that you should probably avoid as much as possible right now is Honduras.
par73

Post by par73 »

I really like the Orlando Florida area, Maine is a better escape if you don't really like seeing lots of people on your vacation (and do like domestic beer / road kill smoked under the ground for dinner)
dac

Post by dac »

milk, make sure you get a MS13 tat on your forehead before you make your south america trip.

it will protect you, or something
zagon

Post by zagon »

My brother moved down to Merritt Island across from cape canaveral. So I may go down there later this year. My favorite spot the past few years has been down to Mammoth Springs Arkansas. Beautiful country, fresh cold water spring fed, great fishing.
Arsenal

Post by Arsenal »

I'm going to China at the end of July. Gonna hit up the tourist spots, Tienanmen square, Terracotta Soldiers, Great Wall, etc. for the first half and then go off by myself for the second half.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ wrote:Yo dren I'm travelling across the country on my way to go sea kayaking up in BC & am going to camp on the UP for a couple days... one on lake Michigan eat of a spot called "Scotts Point" and the other one on Lake Superior. I was thinking the Porcupine Mountains Wilderness, you know it? Looking for places where I can back country camp without paying.
Ya we stopped by Porcupine Mountains for a bit... was pretty nice. Lake of the Clouds is worth seeing for sure. I think you'd find better backcountry camping at Pictured Rocks, though.
august

Post by august »

I don't do that much vacationing. Sometimes I work 50+ hours a week, and have problems with my girlfriend, and think, "Man I'm fucking trapped!" But vacations don't really solve it to me. No immediacy and too much planning for a short amount of time.

If I want a break then I'll go to a jazz club downtown and fall into a chair drinking 4 whiskeys. Anyone visiting Austin is welcome to join me.

When I travel I want to be somewhere for an extended period of time. I want to know the destination, see how the people live. I used to be able to do that all the time when I was a kid, but now I don't have that luxury. So maybe one month a year I can take off and go somewhere I've never been. Any shorter and it loses meaning. Any longer and I can't really take the time off.
Honkey

Post by Honkey »

ADren- I live 4 hours south of the porcupine mountains and have hiked them twice. They are nice and all.... but dont you live in Canada? seems to me there should be way better nature there.

Sidenote: i was almost attacked by a black bear, and almost drowned diving in lake superior cause it was so cold it knocked the wind out of me.

When it comes to vacations I love nashville. Fun people.. interesting scenery....and you get to stop in the Kentucky caves on t he way through and see a giant portrait of colonel sanders when you drive through louisville. The women are also very flirty, fit, attractive, and nice. I was sitting at a bar alone one time and a lady about 45 said that when you are in the south you dont sit alone, coaxed me to come over by her and her daughters and their friends and we proceeded to drink the night away. I love places that are hospitable and I hate tourist attractions and idiot tourists that take pictures of everything. The only tourist annoying thing you see is people wearing cowboy hats cause the locals dont wear them typically.
Ratking

Post by Ratking »

Did some camping in Grand Teton National Park about a year ago. Was pretty cool, good time of year (right before the snows hit). I did NOT see any bears however. They have all this bear awareness type shit and we never saw any the whole week. Plus if you buy bear mace there you can't take it back on the flight with you (unless you want to risk it exploding in your bag). We just sprayed some elderly people with it.

More recently was the trip to the White Rim Trail. This was more fun in my opinion because it was a mountain biking / camping trip. The trails there are just.. amazing. After a few days out you stop running into people and its fantastic. This is something you should definitely do before you die. If you're not a strong rider I suggest you sharpen your skills before hand. Otherwise you could seriously hurt or kill yourself.

A few weeks ago I went to Sanibel island in Ft. Meyers. Was pretty nice, but nothing compared to the first two. Plus I've lived in FL my whole life and it's not unlike anything I'm used to already.

I've also been to Paris, Madrid, and London. That was back when I was higher than Denzel on Flight, and a story for another night.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Honkey.. yes, I live in Canada, but I am actually closer to the S. shore of Superior than the North. Also, last summer was my first time seeing the south shore... something I'd always wanted to do. I've been all over the north shore... it is amazing... just wanted to see what the south had to offer. Michigan's UP is quite nice... enjoyed it a lot. Tons of nice waterfalls and other scenery... nice beaches, towns, etc. The Keewenaw Peninsula was amazing.. definitely recommend checking it out. We stayed at the Eagle River Inn... a little ways north of Calumet. Great beach, amazing restaurant/bar... definitely wanna go back. We only spent a night there, but it was incredible.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

Been all over the place camping, kayaking and rafting. Rafted down parts of the Grand Canyon (extreme).
Niagara Falls, Ontario
Lake Erie
Upstate New York (fuck nyc)
Sandusky Ohio (Cedar Point)
Orlando, Florida (Disney World), Ft Myers, Kennedy Space Center
Washington DC
Gettysburg, PA
Nashville, Tennessee
Parts of West Virginia and Kentucky
Las Vegas
Arizona (Grand Canyon, etc.)
New Mexico
Black Hills/Mount Rushmore North Dakota
Pretty much every part of Pennsylvania except Philly (LOL)
Honkey

Post by Honkey »

Nice adren. My company has a bonus trip to Banff this year. I am super stoked about that.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Banff is pretty cool, I guess. Very touristy... but some amazing scenery and plenty of wildlife. It's much like Aspen... expensive as fuck and expect to see a lot of rich folk there. In the winter, half the people are wearing expensive fur coats and shit... pretty ridiculous. Spent a week in Canmore (neighboring town -- far cheaper and better vibe) a few years ago and only bothered going into Banff twice. Both times we dined and dashed lol...
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Cool I'll look into Pictured Rocks. I'd might be giving up the Lake Michigan beach rather than the Porkies as I got to keep heading West (not going too far that day though since I'm doing a long haul from the Allegheny National Forest in western PA the day before to skip all that Ohio stinky flat pigshit land). The priorities other than camping in nice spots is not paying park or camping fees & being away from other humans.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Damn I'm looking at photos of these pictured rocks are you're right, amazing, makes me wish I had a kayak to bring along with me.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Woa you got to raft the Colorado Krok? Isn't the wait list for a permit like two years or something?
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

your forget that he is a pathological liar. though his post sounds believable enough... hard to trust almost anything he says lol.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ wrote:Cool I'll look into Pictured Rocks. I'd might be giving up the Lake Michigan beach rather than the Porkies as I got to keep heading West (not going too far that day though since I'm doing a long haul from the Allegheny National Forest in western PA the day before to skip all that Ohio stinky flat pigshit land). The priorities other than camping in nice spots is not paying park or camping fees & being away from other humans.
Brah you comin into muh territory? You very might well end up in my back yard lol.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ wrote:Woa you got to raft the Colorado Krok? Isn't the wait list for a permit like two years or something?
Yeah I don't remember about the wait list exactly but I went out there with my cousins back in 2000 and did it. We didn't do the extreme parts but the parts we did were the fastest rapids I've ever been through. 2nd to that I rafted down the Youghiogheny River. Rest I've done is some kayaking and canoeing in 2-3 range rapids. Yough River had 5-6 and I can't even remember what the one part of the Colorado was rated.
rawr

Post by rawr »

i go to vegas and blow 5-8 k on partying
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

LOL vant you gotta post that original one on here.
Vantobia

Post by Vantobia »

Lol the farming corn field Mirksquatch one ?
falcon

Post by falcon »

this is where i vacation. in the midst of himalaya, karakoram and the glorious hindukush.

falcon

Post by falcon »

This is 2 years back in fairy meadows of the killer 'diamer district'.
The mountain behind is Nanga Parbat, the naked mountain.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

TALIBAN TERRITORY, now featuring Nike apparel (TM)
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Damn falcon THOSE MOUNTAINS I have to make it out there.

Don't worry kirk I'll do my best to keep the girls out of your five mile "no women" radius.
Homer

Post by Homer »

Good shit yall
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ wrote:Damn falcon THOSE MOUNTAINS I have to make it out there.

Don't worry kirk I'll do my best to keep the girls out of your five mile "no women" radius.
LOL WTF let me know when u be in muh town. I'll take you on a jeep ride in the woods and show you my gun collection.
c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊

Haha I'd be all for it if I didn't have two asian city girls with me, don't want to scare them. Besides I only am staying a day out there, I think I'd rather sit by a peaceful river and decompress from life in the city.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

c⁄J⁄Iılk c⁄J⁄Iån ◊§t◊ wrote:Haha I'd be all for it if I didn't have two asian city girls with me, don't want to scare them. Besides I only am staying a day out there, I think I'd rather sit by a peaceful river and decompress from life in the city.

Not that I would expect them to be lookers at all, but I strongly think they'd end up staying with me by the end of the night.
empy

Post by empy »

Cypus last year and then Barcelona this year