Myth Masterpiece Theatre - Chohan vs. Shaister + BME/NC Tale

General MWC related discussion stuff.
nine

Myth Masterpiece Theatre - Chohan vs. Shaister + BME/NC Tale

Post by nine »

sup champs?

As some of you already know, I've recently came back after a few years out of the game. You mainly have limp and seeker to thank for that, with their persistent nagging on aim. Not to mention that 1.8 promo video looked kinda sick as well, so I said fuck it and reinstalled this miserable game.

I read somewhere on a myth forum, can't remember who said it or when (fuck off, I'm old) but it basically said that 'he' enjoys watching films and strategizing at least equally as much as he does playing. I tend to agree, and it wasn't long before I started diggin' in my archives for some shit to watch. Granted, I had a 'several years of absence' sized myth itch to scratch, and noticed that shoutcasts had finally taken off in the community. This video was the perfect storm of those circumstances.

At just over half an hour long, you could pretty much call it a fucking movie about myth. I showcase an epic duel from 2004 between Shaister and Chohan and share my behind-the-scenes experiences in playing on both of their legendary teams.

If you guys have another match you'd like to see given a similar treatment, just send the films to MythMasterpiece@gmail.com

*Do yourself a favor and watch this fullscreen at the highest quality. I rendered it out in full 1080p glory with high rez texture packs + myth 1.8 smooth motion interpolation and 24bit 96,000hz audio. It'd be a crime if you play that back in 360p in this gei little forum box. /AVrant
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcaBiZmSXl0&hd=1[/youtube]
adrenaline

Re: Myth Masterpiece Theatre - Chohan vs. Shaister + BME/NC

Post by adrenaline »

hah hey dude... at work right now, so I can't watch it yet... but looking forward to it later. good to see you.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Oh... and do you happen to have the '07 and '08 finals films still? or tws1? Seems to be hard to find em these days.
nine

Post by nine »

Thanks dant... and what's up dren? long time buddy.

Not sure if I have those films, I'd have to hunt.

My organizational system is literally to just let shit pile up on my desktop until I get sick of it and dump it all into a folder. I've got hundreds of these archived over the years... fucking self-imposed easter egg hunt anytime I need something.
Giant Killer General

Post by Giant Killer General »

My 2 cents about the video:

nice editing
nice commentary on myth history from your perspective
some cool old lobby screenshots

things I didn't like:
horrible commentary on the actual 1v1 match being played, if there was any at all.
you didn't press shift-up-arrow so that the game chat could just be seen at all times in the video
you actually sped through some meaningful parts of the game, you should never do that, you can't quite see how the guys are clicking then. If you are going to speed through it, why not speed through the PT? you played the entire web fight at 2x speed, wtf. kinda seems like you didn't care so much about the match.

my biggest annoyance with watching the video though was your camera control. i was getting dizzy just trying to watch it. which is a real shame because you have some clear talent for video editing and everything else, but can't just get a simple good view with the camera. you are like going schizo with the camera, lollygagging it around while you keep reminiscing about the old times. half the time it is completely off the battle in a corner of the map, or is just doing circles with it for some reason. very frustrating when trying to watch and enjoy/analyze the game. you even used the auto-camera sometimes, wtf. you sometimes hold the camera perpendicular to the archer's arrow volleys so you can't even see how they are being aimed.

seems like you weren't really paying much attention to the match at times, just clearly playing around with the camera buttons on your keyboard while you talk and hardly paying attention to the game. It didn't seem like you had a really good in-depth understanding of what was going on in the 1v1. in the grave game you say shai made a nice play with his dorf dying, but that had nothing to do with his play, that was just randomized lit dorf bottle that dropped upon its death, pure luck.

this seemed like a 30 min commentary of reminiscing like a podcast, but needed some video to get people to watch something so you just throw a cool myth match in there to make it cooler, yet don't give that match justice with that camera control.

I had to pause it and/or rewind it several times throughout to try and pay attention to what you are talking about off-topic, and still not miss the match being played. I actually sometimes just had to turn off my monitor so I could just listen to what you were saying, and then just watch parts of it again separately.

also, did chohan even know he was playing shaister? because BTT was asking about it in one of the games I believe. If that was the case, the match just got 10x less cool.

I am truly not trying to throw your efforts under the bus though, so some other things I liked:
commentary comparing chohan and tirri, very amusing
interesting how you could get along so well with both 2 very different teams, the NC-nice-guys, and the BME-assholes. would be interested to hear more about why you think that may be.
funny how asshole-cho had more honor and was nicer than nice-guy-shai in the last 2 games
while the last game was probably played the absolute worst, it did have an amusing ending.

everytime chohan lost, it was because he tried getting too many dorfs and controlling too much shit. he got some pretty bad trades. If I recall correctly that was his trade style though, he liked a lot of dorfs. if he was intentionally handicapping himself with the trade, then his play was still not impressive because even when he doesn't have many units near the end, he makes come obvious mistakes. his grave game was his worst...loses a clear melee advantage at one point by not taking full advantage of his jmen's heals, spends his last pus on a dead-red archer. Chohan also makes a couple bad ctrl clicks there at the end with his archer aim. I can see him using space bar to do dodge arrows with ghols / dorfs though which is smart, much like ww2'ers do it.

it may seem like the match ended in epic fashion in the last game going down to the last archer, but i would say that actually was the wort played game of the series. You decided to play that last part in slow-motion to emphasize the supposed epicness, but you are screwing with the trying to watch and enjoy the proper timing of their clicks.

it should have been 2 separate videos i think. can you just post the films? I would rather just watch them on my own, that camera control was just too horrendous.

overall good effort. Really I know I am being quite critical because that is just my honest 2 cents of it, but I really do applaud the effort. I wouldn't have spent so much time looking at it and writing this if I didn't appreciate it. I am just frustrated because I see the potential but it isn't being fully realized. no1 really puts together myth content anymore though so that's cool. it would be cool if you did more of these, but maybe you should have at least one other person do it with you. more commentary about the actual game being played, someone who can control the camera properly. side comments on history relevant to the players involved in the game is great during planning time or other down-time, which seems like more of your thing.
nine

Post by nine »

whoa holy reply.

Umm... no offence taken man. I like that you were interested in what I was doing enough to replay several parts, and go so far as to turn off your monitor and listen. That's deep. My apologies if my erratic camera controls caused you discomfort. This wasn't an entirely serious affair, nor was it intended to be consumed as an analytical breakdown of all the clicks. Your comparison to a podcast was pretty spot on, actually.

And yes, I promise you they knew that was Shaister. BTT is being a smartass to Corbis when he goes, "Why do you think that? Who else says LL&L", he's basically going, "gee no shit, sherlock."

Cho wasn't really handicapping himself, that was his regular trade for grave but I was just playing up his response to corbis about it to be over the top. Much like with the dying dorf bottle drop.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

side note -- GKG, do you happen to have the film for that KG lmoth 1v1 we did a few years ago that came down to dorf vs dorf around the flag for like 5 min? Lost all my films a couple years ago and can't think of anyone else that might have it... forget who was spectating that game... I know wwo and headhunter were there, but not sure who else. Anyone have it?
Giant Killer General

oh, something else I just noticed, you are ONLY using the keyboard to move the camera around, even to pan it, you don't use your mouse at all. In that case, that explains a lot why your camera control is so bad. is that also how you play myth? please reference my youtube videos for examples of proper camera control using the mouse, and only "q" and "e" for orbiting it.

I had to turn off my monitor because your camera control was making me dizzy, nothing deep about it. same with the replays, just can't pay attention to your talking and the game at the same time.

not trying to be overly serious here, but yea I enjoy watching 1v1s and seeing how they are clicking. why else would you watch 2 good 1v1ers play? i don't get that, seems like even now you don't really care about it ;o i mean, you clearly spent a lot of time putting that video together too...i just don't get that.

anyway, please do post the films if you can.

also, was this just some random match? any background to it at all, such as anything that started it? a forum challenge? a grudge match? tournament match? if not...ehhh who knows if they were even playing their best, doesn't seem so epic. though it did seem like shai cared quite a bit more, haha. chohan though, who knows, could have just been 1 of his many 1v1 matches throughout the day, he's not giving a fuck.

no adren, don't remember.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

2010, likely early summer. it was one of the games in our $100 match, I believe. I actually found where I posted it on the 2010 mwc forums but the link is dead... I think that was the only film I saved because of the epic dorf battle at end.
Giant Killer General

well i played that match on 4 hours sleep, so I would hardly save that as an example of anything as the play was quite horrendous throughout. i only remember wasting 2 pus together in the last game asking myself what the fuck am i doing, just horrible.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Wow! Awesome video man, was fun and well-produced from beginning to end. Thanks for posting.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Wasn't asking for 3 year old post-excuses, just a film. A simple "no, I don't have it." would have sufficed.
Giant Killer General

yea its just amusing how you are still giddy about that match 3 years later and cling to it so hard. even if I had won it, I would never bring that match up. the next match we played where you changed your name for me in the finals wasn't much better. notice how i never bring it up, I barely remember it.

i can only imagine it was very similar to the grave game of this series, which is to say it had an amusingly close ending but was very terribly played. in which case, who cares. the epic ones are the ones that were played well and had the close ending to boot.

btw did this supposedly epic dorf battle end with a dorf bounce winning it? if so, then lol...
nine

Post by nine »

glad you enjoyed it, punk... also, an adren/gkg flame war?

go on.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Cling to it? Giddy? lol... no, not even close. Notice the first post asking for the film that it wasn't even mentioned... it was only included in the next post to pinpoint when the film was from, since u claimed not to remember it. I don't give a shit about a 3 year old match... I just want to see that film again. You can say whatever you want about the quality of the games, but the spectators sure seemed to enjoy them, that game in particular. And I honestly can't remember how that dorf died... bounce or no bounce, we danced around a flag keeping it contested for 5 min... that is an impressive ending no matter what happened before it. Why the fuck u need to get so defensive anyways? Wasn't even trying to start shit, I thought we were over that crap months ago. Just want the film gdi. If you still have films from back then, do me a favor and look for it please.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

adrenaline wrote:Oh... and do you happen to have the '07 and '08 finals films still? or tws1? Seems to be hard to find em these days.
download Ducky's film pack of the tain, It should have all of that.
East Wind tmnt

Post by East Wind tmnt »

Cool insights, cool OA/LoA history. I was always on the opposite end of the spectrum with Cho because of the BIA/BME feud - so didn't honestly get a chance to interact with him that much, so it was cool hearing some of the lesser known aspects from that period. The Arrested Development theme was amazing - CU is FOR SUREEEE Lucille, Ska - George Michael. Really entertaining stuff. Btw, the whole 9/canni thing - I knew of it, but had just never heard you admitting it. I know you'll appreciate this - kinda like how reggie finally admitted he pushed MJ on Open Court (if you don't watch that shit hit it up btw) haha.

btw LOL @ sam being in that game
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

Ducky's film pack is missing 2007/2008 I think. Perhaps it has the others, I don't remember... but it is definitely missing a couple years.
Giant Killer General

nine is that how you control your camera when you play myth too?
nine

Post by nine »

East Wind wrote:The Arrested Development theme was amazing - CU is FOR SUREEEE Lucille, Ska - George Michael. Really entertaining stuff.
lol... I thought it was appropriate

if open court is on nbatv I don't get that channel because comcast is a dick

spurs vs. heat tonight tho!
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

good video I enjoyed it. Also completely agree with you on LoA/BME guys being chill, I use to play Halo with: Acheron,cho,loial,dwarf, but never recall playing it with you. I always liked them and enjoyed what they brought to myth, the guys that create a little drama are always a little bit more enjoyable to be around hehe.

Only thing I completely disagree on is the captaining role being more important back then. I think it is much much more important now and that the captain has become the most important player on any team hands down.

I have been captaining decent teams in almost every mwc from 04-12 so I am arguably the most experienced captain left on myth, so I would think my words about the captaining role would hold some weight.
nine

Post by nine »

thanks man... yeah those guys were awesome, real 'us against the world' thing goin on at the time.

anyhow along with shai I capped guru (3rd mwc 04) not to mention some of my other accounts, so I've got perspective into it as well.

I'll just say that the chance of someone being completely clueless and needing a babysitter was a lot higher when the game was new, versus today where most everyone is good as long as you tell them which flank they're on. Of course there's more to it in a tournament setting, but you get my point.
adrenaline

Post by adrenaline »

great vid dude, just watched it. loved that you used cunninlynguists at the end... fit perfectly.
ska

Post by ska »

NINE!!!! :D Good to see you again man! Great video, brings back the memories :)

ska ~exca
nine

Post by nine »

dren: love that you caught that and know who that is +1

skaz0r!!! miss ya d00d <3

-exca 4 lyfe-
august

Post by august »

ska wrote:NINE!!!! :D Good to see you again man! Great video, brings back the memories :)

ska ~exca
hey ska :D

yo niner! haven't seen you in awhile, bro, hope all is well!

ps: if anyone on tmnt can see this, add me back to private forums plz, for some reason i had to re-create my account when thegjol forum merged. thanks.
par73

Post by par73 »

You are right, that is the natural order of things. Entropy.

GKG, that is the Automatic camera.

Also, lol @ the youtube comment "300+ views" and them having to get verified. Instant classic.

@credits -lol @ being a hater; 4 rings baby, you just upset i would call you out as being cannibal ox haha

nineball ~the OG East Wind

excellent video all around, myth masterpiece theater? nice. heh I feel like I just went to an IMAX theater myth production of class. excellence.
Ratking

Post by Ratking »

Nice video nine, enjoyed it!
Giant Killer General

uhm, he only has the automatic camera on a few times briefly. you can hear him typing the keys on the keyboard using the camera. you can tell when it is the automatic camera because it says when it is on, and it centers on arrows and follows them mid-flight, and changes to centering on different units sporadically. it doesn't go in circles.

Aug, I told punk to add you, you should be added soon.
par73

Post by par73 »

ahh i sorta wrote that post as i watched it and meant to delete that comment but SPENT SO MUCH FOCUS ON THE FILM ITSELF THAT I SIMPLY FORGOT
nine

Post by nine »

Auggie!!1!1~one! How the hell are you brother? I still tell people to this day about that special 'care package' my friend from Switzerland sent me ;)

@par - sup multichamp? you were the single biggest persecutor of my dummy accounts since lina used her admin powers to try and investigate my ip on bungie.net - turns out she couldn't touch me :o

@ratking - thanks! also, randomly, enculator showed us a porno starring april o'neil and the ratking - your performance was inspiring, my friend.

@kirk - LOL

edit: fuck emoticons.
nine

Post by nine »

thanks, man... sorry for lying, and for what it's worth, I like what you tried to do with the salary cap.

also, what about all those articles you had archived @ thegjol? any chance you could forward them to punkuser to host here?

(not sure why we had to move anyway, this template is god awful)
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

nine wrote: also, what about all those articles you had archived @ thegjol? any chance you could forward them to punkuser to host here?
Yes I have them, just need to reformat them into board posts. Soon, hopefully.
par73

Post by par73 »

nine how much space did this 35 minute HD video take up on your harddrive? I am curious
nine

Post by nine »

3 gigs, which isn't bad considering the length, bitrate, audio quality and full 1080

I've got a fairly slick compression method, and don't even have to step down through multiple renders. I just do a live frameserve over to AVIsynth and MeGUI. I could get it even lower if I ran the resulting file through handbrake, but eh...

got several multi-TB hard drives so im just playing with house money anyhow
nine

Post by nine »

lol so apparently punkuser has issued me some kind of demerit for posting that joke pr0n link enc showed me...

hey guys, we just took grim's chill community sanctuary and turned it into another marius-style den of moderation and wholesome family values, fun times!
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

nine wrote:lol so apparently punkuser has issued me some kind of demerit for posting that joke pr0n link enc showed me...
Ha, no "demerit point" (not even sure what that would be...), just asked you not to direct link porn please :) Don't think grim or any other forums have been fine with that either... it's really not that hard to keep it to IM/PM and thus have the forums still generally accessible for a wider age range of people, etc.

If you want a private completely unmoderated space to post porn, that can be arranged, but there's lots of places on the internet for that already.
SeekerAntiVegan

Post by SeekerAntiVegan »

punkUser wrote:
nine wrote:lol so apparently punkuser has issued me some kind of demerit for posting that joke pr0n link enc showed me...
Ha, no "demerit point" (not even sure what that would be...), just asked you not to direct link porn please :) Don't think grim or any other forums have been fine with that either... it's really not that hard to keep it to IM/PM and thus have the forums still generally accessible for a wider age range of people, etc.

If you want a private completely unmoderated space to post porn, that can be arranged, but there's lots of places on the internet for that already.
We want a nsfw forum space.
nine

Post by nine »

"<Shai> why not make the entire forums nsfw and have a special sfw forums for the 3 members of the community that want it"

prettyyyyy sure grim said he made thegjol to be the mwc off-season community hub that marius never was due to excessive moderation.

::jump cut to me getting censored and 'warned' in the first 24 hours of joining::

few things:

it was a link to a short clip of animated characters from a 90's cartoon performing a pretty benign sex act

it was posted in direct reply to ratking, a myth player, whose namesake - a tmnt character - was in the clip (RELEVANCE)

honestly don't care but this kind of censorship right off the bat sets a pretty lame tone, nothing against you personally
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

SeekerAntiVegan wrote: We want a nsfw forum space.
Done. Join the "Umoderated Forums" group from the User Control Panel (in Usergroups tab) and you'll see a completely unmoderated off-topic forum show up. Go nuts.
par73

Post by par73 »

i beat it to that shit, what an asshole. now the link is lost, i got history saving turned off.
NewMutator

Post by NewMutator »

Hey nine, real good stuff!

You have a good sense for establishing context that I appreciate. Also the video editing is top notch for the most part. Really impressed!

I might have a suggestion or two for future content. I'll message you soon.
Giant Killer General

nine, grim censored plenty of shit from thegjol / mwc forums over the years. nobody cared (for the most part), some of it was shit that people legitimately did not want to be looking at.

we aren't talking about censoring curse words here, so that is a complete shit analogy. i know it might be hard to imagine for you, but some people actually don't want to be looking at cartoon porn.

actually i just remembered that grim's forums always had censors on swear words too like :cruiser:, so really grim's forums were even more moderated just to show how retarded of a statement you just made.

now you can get off grim's dick already.
nine

Post by nine »

thanks mewt, glad you liked it... your videos are some of the first I watched after the 1.8 promo and was floored that this was a thing now, also surprised by the quality - so good on ya

lol @ the faux-rage over the indignity of being forced to look at the text-string url of a joke link

obviously I've shown how much respect I hold for grim's rules by making a video about breaking them and lying to his face about it.

but sure, pro-censorship! never would of guessed that from someone with such a charming personality as you, sweetheart <3
Giant Killer General

really, you can't imagine why no one would want to look at shitty cartoon porn posted in an attempt at a shitty joke? really? i never said i was pro-censorship, personally i don't care, but i wouldn't whine if it was taken down either. it's porn...get real.

if you don't care about grim's rules then why do you choose to ignore the fact he had even more moderation. he even banned people from his forum. you get 1 shitty porn link taken down suddenly you want to make punkuser out to be the next OM.

just seems like a whole lot of dick riding to me. quite hilarious, just have to point it out, that's all.
Giant Killer General

lol punk is so nice he actually made a porn forum for him within 2 minutes of him whining about it.

and punk is supposed to be the next OM

holy fucking shit balls jesus christ