Mariusnet going offline for a few days

A single berserk reached us yesterday, after having come all the way over the mountains from the city of Willow, fourteen hundred miles away. He delivered to Alric a single package the size of a man's fist, wrapped in rags, and refuses to talk with anyone about events in the West.
vinylrake

Mariusnet going offline for a few days

Post by vinylrake »

Just saw a news post on mariusnet that the gameserver and site will be offline for a minimum of 4-5 days starting Wednesday June 5th.
dac

Re: Mariusnet going offline for a few days

Post by dac »

i think punkuser just creamed his panties
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Ha. Nah like I said I have no immediate desire to replace MariusNet, but at least you guys will have somewhere to play in the meantime (even if it's missing some of the convenient features of MariusNet). Having more than one option is always good in any case to cover for unavoidable downtime like this.

Note that you don't need to register to play on GateofStorms.net. Just log in with a blank password and as long as your name isn't registered it'll let you play as a guest (no restrictions, just can't join tournament rooms). See here for some more info:
http://forum.gateofstorms.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=4
Myrk

Post by Myrk »

I went from having no idea how to log in to gateofstorms.net to logging in in less than a minute, this is a good sign.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Glad to hear it - I tried to make it as painless as possible.
Zak

Post by Zak »

how do I register for your metaserver punkuser, also will you be posting this on magma or mariusnet?

Would you prefer someone else posted about it?
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

thisforumsucks wrote:how do I register for your metaserver punkuser, also will you be posting this on magma or mariusnet?
Like I said, you only have to register if you want to secure your name or for tourney stats, etc. Otherwise just log in as whatever name you want with a blank password. If you want to register, you can do so at forum.gateofstorms.net with exactly the name you want to have in the metaserver and use that login/PW. See the link I posted above for more info.
thisforumsucks wrote: Would you prefer someone else posted about it?
You can if you like. I wasn't planning on it since - as I mentioned - I don't want to give the false impression that I want folks to play on GoS regularly (unless they want to)... it was designed more for tournament play. But certainly if you or someone else wants to let other folks know on the forums there, please feel free to direct them to the link I gave above.
par73

Post by par73 »

I hope this improves the quality of the Mariusnet server in some way.
Asmodian

Post by Asmodian »

What's the reason for the reason for the server going down? really awful timing, at the start of mwc.
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

Asmo wrote:What's the reason for the reason for the server going down? really awful timing, as the start of mwc.
http://www.mariusnet.com/ubbthreads.php ... mber/30469
Hosting company going out of business. i.e. sucky but unavoidable.
empy

Post by empy »

We should get a myth server hosted on AWS. AWS ftw
punkUser

Post by punkUser »

While I agree that AWS is cool, it might be *slightly* overkill for our peak 50 concurrent user workloads ;)
empy

Post by empy »

Well yea thats fine, you make your virtual pc a low spec model. The charges are cheaper than a data center.
Arsenal

Post by Arsenal »

empy wrote:Well yea thats fine, you make your virtual pc a low spec model. The charges are cheaper than a data center.
I think it's safe to assume there is more hosted on his box than just mariusnet.
BIG KROK V8 SS

Post by BIG KROK V8 SS »

vinylrake wrote:Just saw a news post on mariusnet that the gameserver and site will be offline for a minimum of 4-5 days starting Wednesday June 5th.

WHY DID YOU TURN OFF THE SERVER BUDDY? DID YOU NEED TO BAN ME AGAIN? LOLOOOL